What are some good DVD Audio's?

elgrillo

Just got my first selections today, so from what I have heard so far:

1/ Fleetwood Mac-Rumours A, I heard things I never heard on the LP or CD before or recently, and likewise with the Eagles HC.

2/ Eagles-Hotel California A+, very nice accoustics.

3/ Metallica-Metallica A+++,on a Horn system,MAN 9.gif

4/ 38 Special-Live at Sturgis B+ (seemed alittle empty)

TO ADD: After listening to the 38 Special disk a second time, I take back my generous score of B+, this disk is so empty and shallow the rears sound like a total echo effect of the fronts, do not get this DVD Audio disk IMO, nice tracks, but the quality for what I have listened to on other DVD Audio disks, "C-" and I love 38 Special, just wish I could have seen them in concert8.gif

Just my opinion eh 2.gif

If you would like to see if any of your favorite artist have dvd audio release,try a search on ebay or yahoo.Otherwise Doobie Bros,Deep Purple,Frank Zappa and some of the others mentioned are very good.

Eric Clapton - Reptile is a really good disc from both a music and multi-channel mix perspective. I own all the other mentioned, all very good as well, but Reptile gets the most playing time in my player. You should also consider Alan Parsons On Air, a DTS recording, but excellent.

Some favorites ...

Nitty Gritty Surround -- get it from the AIX records website and get a free demo of other music on their label -- great recordings and tons of extras

Olu Dara Neighborhoods

Dave Grusin West Side Story -- not the soundtrack, excellent jazz

Blue Man Group audio -- even my wife likes it

Santana Abraxas DTS

Quick question:

If I have a yamaha C920 DVD/CD player and I use analog RCA's to listen to music decoded by the burr browns in the yamaha, and when I watch DVD's I use optical out and let my Denon 2803 do the decoding. Which setting would I use for DVD-Audio?

Thanks

Here are some of my favorites.

1. U2 - Elevation, Live from Boston.

(Awesome live recording and 5.1 surround. Get it!)

I'm currently taking a break from sanding my La Scalas. Hot down here on the Gulf Coast. Can't wait to listen to U2 dvd on my Klipsch. Just got the La Scalas and had to replace the woofers (2 new K33s) and both tweeter diaphragms. Haven't heard the speakers yet in all of their glory. This dvd will be one of the first I listen to.

2. The Band - The Last Waltz.

This is another one you have to buy if you like The Band. All their "friends" come and jam during their goodbye concert. Clapton, Neil Young, and many more. Some awesome vocals on this one. Especially the tune with the Staple singers. Great recording, originally on film.

3. The Moody Blues - Live at Royal Albert Hall

Have been a Moody Blues fan for years. This dvd is also a great live recording with great 5.1 surround. Like U2 this one has incredible clarity of sound and good balance between the band and audience.

4. Fleetwood Mac - The Dance 1997

As you may know Fleetwood Mac has a great low end and drums along with of course vocals, guitar and keyboards. Very tight live recording with good tight bottom end. Also features the USC marching band coming on stage and doing 2 songs at the end. Tusk is one of them.

5. Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon 1998

This is a good one. Recorded live with 5.1 surround. Band is tight. They do most of their "hits". May be a better recording of the Stones. Not sure. Just wanted some of their tunes to watch sometimes.

6. Dave Matthews Band - Live at Folsom Field.

I'm not a big DMB fan but I like the syncopation and counter melodies juxtaposed against the vocals and melodies with this bands music. The music is complex the lyrics at times a bit to esoteric for me. Great live recording and 5.1 surround. The band is tight and were primed for this concert.

7. Widespread Panic - Live at Oak Mountain.

This is a great recording with 5.1 surround. Wish they had played more of their music that I'm familiar with. It's a 2 dvd set with a lot of long jams and improvisation. If you like WSP you'll probably enjoy this dvd.

8. Elton John - Live at Madison Square Garden.

This is an excellent dvd and concert recording. He does most all of his "hits" and side one of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. This will be the first dvd I listen to when I finish assembling my La Scalas. I would recommend buying this one. He and the band are tight, the clarity and quality of the recording are excellent. Many other entertainers come to sing with him: Billy Joel, Anastacia. Anastacia does Saturday Night is Allright for Fighting with John and rocks. Except for the slow "love songs" which I don't care for the other songs really rock. Get this dvd.

I bought the Sound of Music for my dad and his wife but I haven't seen it yet. I'll rip it next time I'm at their home and watch it. I would bet it's worth the $19 I paid for it though.

I have others but I wouldn't buy them again. Carol King Concert, Allman Brothers Band - Brothers of the Road, Grateful Dead and Lynyrd Skynyrd to name a few.

Ok I have to get back to sanding. Have to get these La Scalas finished today. I MUST have my music tonight! 1.gif

Tony Boone

Here are some of my favorites.

1. U2 - Elevation, Live from Boston.

(Awesome live recording and 5.1 surround. Get it!)

I'm currently taking a break from sanding my La Scalas. Hot down here on the Gulf Coast. Can't wait to listen to U2 dvd on my Klipsch. Just got the La Scalas and had to replace the woofers (2 new K33s) and both tweeter diaphragms. Haven't heard the speakers yet in all of their glory. This dvd will be one of the first I listen to.

2. The Band - The Last Waltz.

This is another one you have to buy if you like The Band. All their "friends" come and jam during their goodbye concert. Clapton, Neil Young, and many more. Some awesome vocals on this one. Especially the tune with the Staple singers. Great recording, originally on film.

3. The Moody Blues - Live at Royal Albert Hall

Have been a Moody Blues fan for years. This dvd is also a great live recording with great 5.1 surround. Like U2 this one has incredible clarity of sound and good balance between the band and audience.

4. Fleetwood Mac - The Dance 1997

As you may know Fleetwood Mac has a great low end and drums along with of course vocals, guitar and keyboards. Very tight live recording with good tight bottom end. Also features the USC marching band coming on stage and doing 2 songs at the end. Tusk is one of them.

5. Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon 1998

This is a good one. Recorded live with 5.1 surround. Band is tight. They do most of their "hits". May be a better recording of the Stones. Not sure. Just wanted some of their tunes to watch sometimes.

6. Dave Matthews Band - Live at Folsom Field.

I'm not a big DMB fan but I like the syncopation and counter melodies juxtaposed against the vocals and melodies with this bands music. The music is complex the lyrics at times a bit to esoteric for me. Great live recording and 5.1 surround. The band is tight and were primed for this concert.

7. Widespread Panic - Live at Oak Mountain.

This is a great recording with 5.1 surround. Wish they had played more of their music that I'm familiar with. It's a 2 dvd set with a lot of long jams and improvisation. If you like WSP you'll probably enjoy this dvd.

8. Elton John - Live at Madison Square Garden.

This is an excellent dvd and concert recording. He does most all of his "hits" and side one of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. This will be the first dvd I listen to when I finish assembling my La Scalas. I would recommend buying this one. He and the band are tight, the clarity and quality of the recording are excellent. Many other entertainers come to sing with him: Billy Joel, Anastacia. Anastacia does Saturday Night is Allright for Fighting with John and rocks. Except for the slow "love songs" which I don't care for the other songs really rock. Get this dvd.

I bought the Sound of Music for my dad and his wife but I haven't seen it yet. I'll rip it next time I'm at their home and watch it. I would bet it's worth the $19 I paid for it though.

I have others but I wouldn't buy them again. Carol King Concert, Allman Brothers Band - Brothers of the Road, Grateful Dead and Lynyrd Skynyrd to name a few.

Ok I have to get back to sanding. Have to get these La Scalas finished today. I MUST have my music tonight! 1.gif

Tony Boone