What receiver to get?

jweed

I'm in need of a new receiver for my home theater setup. Cureently have a Yamaha RX-990.

I have K-horns for mains, LaScallas for rear, and Altec 605A for cente channel. I'm in ned of a receiver with AC-3 decoder built in for the lased disc and analog 5.1 inputs as well for new SACD player.

What is everyone using and/or recommend?

Regards,

Jweed2.gif

I would take the Harman Kardon over the Denon myself. It is my personal opinion that HK has the best sound and quality out there as far as receivers go. Don't be mislead by the low wattage listed. My HK 325 that supposedly only pushes 65 watts per channel in stereo is way, way louder and cleaner than the kenwood that claimed 100 watts per channel. I also know people that took back their Onkyo receivers and changed them out for HKs with supposedly a lot less wattage per channel and they claim the HK is louder and sounds better.

I would suggest you go out and listen to the Denon and HK before buying anything. HK invented the receiver and has continued to lead the way for 50 years.

Just like everyone else I'd like to spend $1.00 and get $10,000 in quality.

I'm looking in the $1000.00 range.

I do have the k-horns hooked up to a Scott 340B for music. But nothing beats the k-horns for home theater.

Jeff4.gif

Your best bet is to go and listen to them. Also play around and see how easy they are to work with. The problem with this question is that everybody is going to stand behind what they have. I listened to a lot of recievers before I bought mine. Serperates are the best, but costly. If you could spend a little more you could step into outlaw serperates. Check them out at www.outlawaudio.com If you can't go that much then both the Denon and hk are good. I liked denon because it was very easy to use and had some great fetures that would not make it old right away. Also my family has had denon for many years and no problems it all.

----------------

On 5/4/2003 9:02:07 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 5/3/2003 1:43:12 PM Fish wrote:

Yep,3803 has no rivals at its price.

----------------

Oh... But it does. The Harman Kardon AVR520.
2.gif

----------------

m00n,dts 96/24 digital capable,dual surround sp mode,video conversion,AL24,12v trigger?9.gif

To meet your requirements for an AC-3 RF you will have to go Pioneer elite 49TX or TXI or buy a newer yamaha that has the AC-3 RF in. I have the DSPA3090 with my klipsch set up and its good but I am in the market for something a bit warmer to tame the Horns..