HK AVR 525 or Denon 3803?? Or another $1000 reciever

elgrillo

I've seen many great reviews on both of these and was wondering which you guys thought was a better buy? I must admit I like the way the denon looks, but that is really such a small part when compared to how it sounds. I am looking at spending $1000, so any other suggestions in that area will be welcomed. THanks fellas

You will not probably get a completely objective answer on this one. SOme folks here like HK, others like myself give preference to Denon, while I am sure there quite a few who believe that both units suck.

Probably the best way out is to try to get them both in the local stores to audition at home, then return both and finally get the one you liked more off the internet.

What about rotel, and B&K they make some great stuff also. I like my denon, and my family likes theres but take it with a grain of salt. We all pretty much like what we have. Go and listen to them. But also check out rotel and B&K. JandR are great to work with, I have ordered tons of stuff and they have great prices and are great to work with. I have seen there store in New York city and it is like a block big.

I was looking into upgrading to the Harman Kardon AVR8000, however, I just read some very good words about the Harman Kardon AVR 7200 over at avs forum. Hmmm, my eyes are shifting to that baddie.

Harman Kardon fan here. I do not know what the Denon sells for online but you can get the HK 525 for a great price, under $700.00 for sure. Weigh all your options and make the choice that best suits you. Try to audition them both as well.

First question,Do these units have the same features? I don't think so.Do I want you to buy a Denon?,don't matter to me.Is the 3803 better,I only owned one HK,it blew a channel.Denon,but you should listen and check features of any you can.

You might find the Rotel for around $1000 but

you couldn't touch B&K for twice that. Not new anyway. Unless you have a connection.

May I suggest looking at NAD. I've never heard one but I've read alot of good things about them.

Check out NAD at elegantaudiovideo.com

I've owned both Denon and HK, and I prefer the clean sound and power of HK. The Denon sounded great for movies, but lacked in stereo music playback (I owned a 2802, and now own a HK AVR525, which I love).

The 525 has many great features, including HDCD decoding and a great bass management system (the main reason I bought it).

The 3803 does include composite and svideo to component conversion though...

I recommend the HK.

Denon fan here. You will find many Denon fans on this forum. It gives a wonderful warm sound. Great for movies and music. Someone earlier didn't like it for the stereo music, personally I love it. When I play music instead of using Prologic II I use 5 or 6 channel stereo. It great for listening to music and really makes the most out of the bass.

If you can get a 525 at J&R for $699, give it a listen. Theats a great price. I have a Rotel 1055 and for music it is leagues ahead of the Denon and Yamaha receivers. HT is great with any of the current receivers in that price range.

You can get the Rotel for about $1100 out the door. Check it out, it wont disapoint.

Earle

Just wanted to add that the H/K and Denon are very similar as you can see, both prety much have the same options and features. I was like you and went with the Denon because I liked the name, I went through the checklist of both the features side by side, and finally like you said the Denon looks better. So alot of people can decide which to get because they are so similar, so if they are the same why not get the good looking one and leave the plastic looking one for the boys. Like m00n.

J/K had to put that in.

----------------

On 5/5/2003 4:54:50 PM dblue wrote:

I've owned both Denon and HK, and I prefer the clean sound and power of HK. The Denon sounded great for movies, but lacked in stereo music playback (I owned a 2802, and now own a HK AVR525, which I love).

The 525 has many great features, including HDCD decoding and a great bass management system (the main reason I bought it).

The 3803 does include composite and svideo to component conversion though...

I recommend the HK.

----------------

I feel the exact same way. The Denon just doesn't have enough punch for my tastes in 2-channel listening.

I have a Denon 3802, and I think it does quite nice in two-channel. However, that being said, one of these days, I'll get myself a dedicated two-channel setup. Unfortuntatly, I cannot buy anymore toys for a little while. I now need to spend some money on the house itself.

----------------

On 5/5/2003 5:44:28 PM zandern wrote:

so if they are the same why not get the good looking one and leave the plastic looking one for the boys. Like m00n.

J/K had to put that in.

----------------

Ha ha. Both of them do have basically the same features as far as audio goes. I don't care for the video options, since I prefer them to go directly where they need to go. That rotel does look rather nice, but have not heard it. What does it mean when they say it has 7.1 capability for future upgrades? How would they be able to upgrade it?? So know Im looking at denon 3803,rotel 1055, HK AVR 525, NAD T752, or not sure which marantz version. Hell why not throw in a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX as well. Could there be any more options. How the hell am i going to pick 1 out of so many. I can't possibly take them all home.....or could I, and keep them all and have a reciever party with little reciever beers. So help me out people, hell even if you have to guess which one out of all of those, or at the very least help me find the marantz model that is in that budget.

*** so if they are the same why not get the good looking one and leave the plastic looking one for the boys ***

Actually the HK is built like a tank compared to most receivers including the Denon. The 525 out weighs the 3803 by about ten pounds. Ten pounds is a lot when talking about a receiver.

----------------

So alot of people can decide which to get because they are so similar, so if they are the same why not get the good looking one and leave the plastic looking one for the boys. Like m00n.

J/K had to put that in.

----------------

Heh... Look at you, taken jabs when my back is turned. It's all good, I see how you are 2.gif...

----------------

So alot of people can decide which to get because they are so similar, so if they are the same why not get the good looking one and leave the plastic looking one for the boys. Like m00n.

J/K had to put that in.

----------------

That was great. Thanks for making me smile, although I'm sick as all hell this morning. Time to call in work for my first day off of the year (although I'd rather not be sick and at work if that seems reasonable). Or maybe I am really, really sick 2.gif

Elgrillo,

You're in the same boat I am! There are too darn many choices! I want the B&K 505 so badly but I need to buy a new subwoofer also so I don't want to ante up for the B&K. You can research and research until you drive yourself nuts. All have different features that you think you can't live without.

I'm about ready write them all down on paper and put them in a hat. Then I'll reach in and pull out the winner.2.gif