THX Optimizer. What is it?

m00n

Something avman said in his thread prompted me to want to ask this question. What is a THX optimizer? I have never bothered to look into this as I don't have a THX receiver. Even though I don't have a THX receiver, is this something my sound can benifit from? Or is it simply only for THX receivers?

To my knowledge the THX optimizer is provided on THX encoded DVD's to optimize channel levels on a THX equipped receiver. I think it is a series of test tones for adjusting channel levels. I have never used it since I felt that it would not necessary once the system was set up properly since you would have to readjust it after using that particular DVD. I also don't hear huge differences watching in THX 5.1 vs. the standard DD 5.1. I am sure others may be able to provide further insight.

According to the THX website: "Use THX Optimizer to calibrate the performance of your home theatre system so that it produces picture and sound quality equal to the original movie as the director intended...Optimizer test signals are identical to the final reference tests used by filmmakers during the mastering of each release. These signals allow the user to perform a series of audio and video tests and adjust the home system's performance to guarantee the best possible presentation of each movie and experience each one as the director intended."

I've seen posts on other forums regarding this subject too. Some feel the Optimizer is a "poor man's VE or Avia" providing reference level calibration for all audio/video. True to that belief, many have reported little difference between VE/Avia results and those from the Optimizer. However, if you read THX's description closely--and literally, I believe Frzninvt is right; the Optimizer is designed with the color palette and soundtrack of that specific movie in mind--but you shouldn't need a THX rated receiver to use it (especially since at least half the test signals have nothing to do with the audio and the ones that do don't really interact with any of the THX post-processing functions...at least not that I can tell).

As for the differences between "Optimized" settings and those you get with a true "reference" calibration disc...maybe there just hasn't been a movie produced yet where the director's intended color palette varied that much from the NTSC standards, or the audio departed from Dolby reference levels enough to make much of a difference; but THX would have you believe the Optimizer is best used for the disc/movie it came with.

Sounds like a waste of time. I've never bothered to play around with it and have my system set the way I like it. And there's no way in hello i'm gonna tweak the system for one movie...... unless it was a really really good one.

it really is a waste of time, when i first set up i balance using an spl meter, and after the optimizer the entire system can be out of balance, due to the fact that when using the optimizer, the noise generated is adjusted using the ear, it is a pain, and there is no benefit i can see, or hear12.gif

THX is just a certification, nothing more. All it means is that the receiver has passed the quality check and gets stamped. THX is not a feature of any kind. They have to pay for that certification and it really means nothing, other than George Lucas has approved of it. Kenwood receivers suck IMHO and they are THX certified if that tells you anything.

So a THX optimizer will work on any receiver.

Vital

I know that THX is a certification and a set of standards, but what I am not or was not sure of if those standards require certian circuity in a receiver or amps to get that certification and whether or not that needed to be in a receiver in order to take advantage of the optimizer.

m00n

you can use the thx optimizer w/ANY ht equipment, and i don't generally use it because i have my system well calibrated, HOWEVER it does calibrate your system FOR THAT PARTICULAR MOVIE, and can function as a 'poor man's avia'.

thx certified receivers do have thx post-processing effects for surround that can be used.

av.

This is slightly off the subject...but speaking of THX...I have a contact at Klipsch that is going to get me THX Demo Audio/Video DVD. I guess it's what THX uses to demonstrate THX certified equipment. When I get I'll make a post, and anyone who wants one can let me know...that is if I can copy it.