warning on Plumber's Putty

In small quantities (1# sizes) plumbers putty and duct seal are the same price. I think that duct seal is a better product and if it is what I think it does not seem to harden over long (years) period of time. I have 6 #'s on each of my 511B horns and they are very dead. Sticks better, too.

Jim N

----------------

On 5/6/2003 11:34:36 AM TubeGarden wrote:

I used Plumber's Putty on my heresy mid and tweeter horns. Al

----------------

Please educate this uninformed but new Klipsch La Scala owner. What did you use the putty on and why?

Regards,

Tony

Tony

They are using them on the OUTSIDE of the tweeter and squawker horn bodies to deaden the natural ring of the Aluminum horns.

I have 10+ year old PP on my Khorns, just went down and it is still fairly soft, very moldable yet. Maybe I'll have to check it agian next year1.gif

JM

----------------

On 5/7/2003 4:36:05 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Yeh, I think I need to do something to dampen my horns. Sometimes I turn the music down because it sounds like the phone is ringing.

----------------

Its probably the neighbors calling to tell you to turn down that GD racket.1.gif

JM

Damping the horns is good if you experience the 'acoustic death ray' moving your head in front of them. This can be caused by the metal horns ringing. I used 1/2 to 3/4 inch coating on the outside. Others recommend 5# per horn. It smoothed out the sound very well. The new squawker diaphrams also did wonders. New Lambda woofers still breaking in, but, very promising :)

Hard to believe these are the same speakers I got a few years ago off rec.audio.tubes ;)

They were a bit harsh on arrival...

now they are authoritive, not nagging.

Happy Ears!12.gif

Al