Klipsch @ Best Buy

Lovebohn

We just got Besy Buy in Western Canada(Edmonton Alberta)3 weeks old to be exact, and the first Province east of Ontario(which has several).

What do I like, one thing, GREAT selection of Live Concerts on DVD. In all honesty, Future Shop and A&B Sound have nothing on them, even DVD Audio and SACD...just the facts Jack...2.gif

Sorry, to add to the main point, there is "no" Klipsch at Best Buy up here, non-existant 15.gif

They are sold in a "major" Drugstore chain up here eh...PrepH, Tylenol, Vicks, that woman stuff they need, and hear your favorites before check-out 10.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2003 12:37:56 AM boomer9911 wrote:

What do I like, one thing, GREAT selection of Live Concerts on DVD. In all honesty, Future Shop and A&B Sound have nothing on them, even DVD Audio and SACD...just the facts Jack...
2.gif

----------------

Best Buy does have a very good selection of DVDs and CDs. I have bought quite a few of the both there. Unfortunatly, to get some of the more obscure stuff, I have to go to Amazon.com to get it.

Okay, I went to Best Buy again today - this time, they got the Klipsch speaker display working! I listened to those Klipsch speakers and compared it to all the others they had on the floor back there in the speaker listening area. Without a doubt - the Klipsch just about blew everything else out of the store - including the Bose! I did notice that they no longer had the JBL Studio series speakers - only the Northridge series (the 'N' series). I would have loved to listen to those Klipsch SF-2s compared to the JBL S312s, but alas, the Best Buy here did not have them anymore 8.gif. Still, from what I did hear, I would be willing to bet the SF-2s would have been better than the S312s, at least in overall sound quality, even though the SF-2 is a smaller speaker size-wise (probably would not have the bass extension as the JBL, but still).

I could not pick on the sales staff there, because most of the staff there already know who I am. It ended up that I was the one demonstrating the Klipsch to them - not the other way around as one would expect. Hell, maybe I ought to get a job there - I bet I could sell quite a few of the Klipsch 9.gif. Needless to say, they were all quite impressed with the sound quality of the Klipsch speakers. Of course, I had to mention to them that if they think those Synergy speakers sounded good, wait until you hear the Reference series! 6.gif. To give the sales staff credit, the Best Buy did just get those Klipsch, so they may not have had the time to get familier with them, but I wanted to let the staff there know that those speakers are not your typical run-of-the-mill speaker. Geez, it did use to be that you could not get those unless you went to a high-end dealer in the past!

Our best buy up here still has yet to get the Klipsch line. I think it'll be interesting to see how they are set up. And I do agree, I hate those little touch pad thingies too. I'm sure the SF2s will would kick the crap out of the studio series, (personally I though the jbls sounded like crap, scratchy highs and muddy bass. Turn off the powered sub over in the corner and it becomes really apparent.) As far as the BOSE go, I'd like to see them go as well. Bose. Better sales through advertising.

well I stand corrected. Went into Best Buy last night to browse through their SACD titles and swung into the home audio area, and to my suprise, there stood Klipsch. This perticular store had four little "auditioning rooms", or corners of one big one. Anyway, Klipsch was the first when you walked in the area, followed by Bose. JBL, Sony, and KLH were jammed in the back. I had never listened to synergy speakers, but even though the listening area left something to be desired, they still sounded quite nice. I don't care for the little touch pad thingies and the music selection is terrible. Other than that I think they present the speakers nicely (for best buy at least). It should be interesting to see how they sell.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm starting to understand....

Sheesh.

I never knew exactly how idiotic some of these reps in other Best Buy stores really are.

You all will have to make yourselves a pit stop down here in Lynchburg.

When they announced we were carrying Klipsch, I made it a point to let everyone else in the department know that we were getting one hell of a speaker manufacturer into our fold.

When we got the Synergy stuff out on display, I made it a point to remove all the "wired with Monster Cable" tags from the display, as I knew that the display was supposed to be wired with Monster, not the speakers, and our regional grunt crew had failed to properly wire it (it still has yet to be wired correctly - but who cares - the SF2's kill everything else I have)

I also made it a point to let everyone know that the Synergy series was Klipsch's entry level - so there was no mistaking - and no looking stupid in front of people who knew better...

Funny, though - this is probably the only BB around that you'll find salespeople that also know that the Northridge is JBL's entry level, and the Studio is their second-from-the-bottom - and that JBL makes $100,000 home theater systems that make what we carry look like the cheapest Audiophase boombox you've ever seen...

I guess that's why we're a top-50 store, and a top-10 home theater department...

Well, you can add me to their growing list of employees, I just got a job offer from them- pending my drug and background check...

So, I can say for sure there will be at least one knowledgable person at The Nashville Best Buy in the Home theater Department. That would be me, by the way.

It was funny, the general manager of the store did the interview with me and I kept bragging about how I'm such a geek who hangs out on all these forums to learn more about this stuff, and he goes, okay prove it. He takes me back to the home theater department and asks me to sell him a system, and I blew him away with all this stuff I knew. Him and his other sales counselor, who goes, nice job, what electronics store have you worked at before. I told him I did research and this would be my first. So he assumed I was a geek and left, and offered me a job. And then he did mention that part about selling the service plans, and accessories, and I nodded, I would have nodded to anything he would have asked me for, to secure my job there.

Anyway, thanks to you guys for helping me learn more so I could show off my geekiness (coolness) at the store and get myself a job there.

Just remember, dude.

With the new company focus, you'll do fine as long as you can crank out the high-margin sales. In Audio, if you sell the high end (Klipsch, JBL, Yamaha receivers, and plenty of Monster accessories) you'll go far. PSP's mean **** in the audio department.

Use your knowledge, but also use your customer's ears. It's a lot easier to show someone how much better Klipsch sounds than it is to explain it. It's also a lot easier to show someone how much more efficient a Yamaha amp is than a Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony - and how much better it sounds, than to explain it.

Swing for the fences - don't assume someone can't afford the stuff - show 'em your best, and let them make their own decisions.

Oh - and don't let anyone who can afford Bose buy Bose. They'll thank you for it later.

----------------

On 6/5/2003 10:47:46 AM damonrpayne wrote:

The unknowledgable salespeople at Best Buy don't bother me nearly as much as the constant pushing of their service plans. Who here takes their DVD player into Best Buy to be cleaned once a month? Come on.

----------------

I do. My mass changer I do once every 3-4 months, because it's a pain in the *** to unload all those CD's, but my SACD/DVD player I have cleaned monthly or bimonthly.

You'd be amazed at how much better it sounds after a good cleaning.

well, I will be working the Home Theater department, I dont know if that includes both Video and Audio, or just TVs and HTIBs, there are no specific mark offs at this store, Audio is right next to Video, and there are no listening rooms. The Synergy is right on the floor. I really want to know what the discount is, so I can debate whether or not I should buy the Plasma from them. Do you know? is it a set percentage off the advertized price?

I also wanted to say that I hope to let people buy what they need, not stuff they wont need; I hope I can provide them with an experience that they could get at Tweeter (possibly) but at a mass market store; It sounds idealistic and goofy but I really want to help people buy good equipment they need, not make them spend rediculous amounts on crap they wont need.

Dude - as far as I'm concerned, they need Monster Interlinks and Monster power centers on any system they buy - unless it's some ratty KLH bit.

Service plans? well, use your head. I know for fact that the average consumer-grade DVD player is going to last about a year and a half. So if you're spending more than $80 for the player, then yeah, the service plan is worth it. Speakers? Well, the outdoor jobs are going to suffer from dry rot. With the PSP costing a mere $30 - for mfr warranty plus 4 years, that's a pretty good gamble. Projection TV's? You'd better believe it's worth it. Big tubes? Well, there's a crapshoot for ya. I'd get it just to avoid having to lug the goddamned thing somewhere for service (even warranty service). It's really a case by case basis. I like what Home Theater magazine said about service contracts:

If you can't afford to replace whatever it is you're buying within the next 5 years, it's probably a good idea to buy the contract.

Seriously, though. Concentrate on selling the best you've got, and being a smart friend - answering their questions with truth, not hype, and you'll do fine. Ask my boss 1.gif

Oh yeah - the "Home Theater" department includes audio and video, and you'll be expected to effectively sell both. It's all about PS3 - Picture, Source, Sound, Solutions. You'll get all that in your training package.

Just my two cents about audio salesmen.

I find that 8 of 10 salesmen I run across in chain stores like Best Buy and what use to be the Wiz know absolutely nothing about what they are selling. When I walk in a store all I want them to do is play something for me. If I don't have the 911 on the product I will get it elswhere.

The proof of any audio product is actually in the listening. When I bought my first pair of Klipsh 3.1's the salesmen didn't like them alot. They preferred the infinity's and some other speakers. Well! As far as I am concerned the 3.1 was a far better sounding speaker then "ANY" other speaker I auditioned under $$600. Actually the only speaker I liked better was the KRIX KDX speaker. This was an $800 dollar speaker so they really was no comparison.

So, when looking for equipment decide on a few you like and go and listen. Buy the one you like the best!

what actually sucks is that they dont have a listening room, its just speakers in a big warehouse type deal, so the sound just goes crazy and doesnt sound as good as it would in a small store like tweeter. Doesnt matter to me, I already know what they sound like. Im just gonna work there because it pays more than Hollywood Video, and I dont have to listen to that damn Hollywood Video Screener tape, you know the one that talks about all the new movies and what they sell in the store. If you've worked there or blockbuster, you would know how quickly they get annoying.

I was researching speakers as I just started at Bestbuy 2 weeks ago, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about speakers. I've always liked Klipsch speakers, and think they outperform the JBL and Bose by far. We added Klipsch and Athena at the same time. Honestly, I think the Athenas are the best sounding speakers we carry. The Athena F2s are damn good sounding, and I like them better than any Klipsch we carry.

Anyways, gotta get to work.