McIntosh Lovers ?

NOSValves

Hey Mc experts. I have a Mc in the shop for a new transformer and have it installed and rebiased and started wondering at what level of Mc Quality I'm listening too. So how does the MC502 50 watts per channel slim line rate in the Mc line of amps.

Craig

From what I have been told and the owner was told the problem with the transformer was common for this model. It didn't blow it was noisy. The amp worked fine and never quit working it just became noisier and noiser. I just did what Mc said needed to be done. They wanted $400+ to do it and the tranformer was only $65 directly from them.

Craig

PS I don't remember asking what was wrong with it !!

Ryan,

You don't by chance do any McIntosh restoration as a side business/hobby do you? I just purchased a pair of MC-30's and was considering sending them to Audioclassics but I heard they charge an arm and two legs. I just thought I would ask as it seems you have an appreciation for McIntosh units.

Ryan

Craig

I have never heard the 502, so, sorry Im not much help here. Looking at the pic and data on Roger Russels page, looks kind of un-conventional as far as McIntosh is concerned.

I too would be interested to learn if anybody here does MC refurbishing.

JM

I used to use a 502 at work. It was a great little amp - better sounding, at least to me - than the Mc 2100s and Mc 250s and subjectively much more powerful than the 250. Ours tested out at 75-80 wpc rms. The only problems we ever had with it were the green Powerguard lights, which burned out on a regular basis.

Other than that, I'd recommend one in a minute.

Please Dave, DO consider getting your MC2100 repaired. One of my brothers owns a MC2100 and it's an excellent performer with his HT rig. It's a wonderful sounding amp worthy of repair! You won't regret it.