To subwoof or not?

SteevieO

I currently have a Denon AVR4802 powering my HT which includes Klipshs all around Forte IIs for the mains. KV2 center, and KG5 rears. I do not currently have a subwoofer. My question is do I need one? The Forte IIs have a 12" woofer and a 15" passive radiator in the rear. I think the bass is indredible. Watching Terminator2 last night, the room was shaking with the explosions. With the Forte IIs would a subwofer add to anything or would it just shift the bass to the subwoofer and not utilize the woofer in the Fortes? If adding a subwoofer is recommended staying with Klipsch what model(s) would be an improvement over my current set up?

When in doubt, subwoof!!

I, too, have used Fortes and they have incredible bass. But as great as they are, for the "complete" HT experience, you need a woofer capable of plumbing down to 20hz (and even lower) WITH AUTHORITY, which means volume and clarity. As good as the Forte's are, they don't go that low - below even 30hz.

Check out the various threads in the Powered Subwoofer forum for suggestions on subs, OK?

Doug

T2 is what caused me to buy a subwoofer.

The event occured several years ago as I was casually spending time at a hi fi shop. I love to watch Arnie movies and they had T2 playing on one set up.

The scene was where Arnie was on the Harley chasing after the semi and dirt bike. There was the throbbing of the music but then there was also a deeper sound I hadn't heard before on my K-horns, and this was on HI-FI VCR not DVD.

I went home and powered up my system and fast forwarded to the scene where I was expecting the same experience from my K-horns. Well, it didn't happen the lower octave was simply not there! I took my tape to the store and played it on the system and all of the lower octave was there. Anyway, I purchased a sub, took it home, connected and fine tuned it to the mains and there was the missing ooomph!

The Forte IIs and the K-horns are great speakers and can reproduce most any music thats out there but when it comes to synth well, they just can't cut the mustard and weren't designed to do so. Synth, electronic music and movie special effects require a good subwoofer.

Try the T2 test yourself, you'll see what I mean.

A good quality subwoofer is a BIG plus for any speaker system,and for HT is a MUST.

The Forte or any speakers(besides large tower speakers with built in powered subs)gain from the use of a sub.First you can cut the bass in the 4802 from the mains,the crossover point you decide if memory serves me well you can cut as low as 40Hz.

Now with the sub bass removed from the main power amp the speakers are less strained and will sound a bit clearer overall.

I say try a Klipsch RSW15 if you want to complete your Klipsch speakers.The RSW15 has amazing punch and good shake capability.

If you want shake N bake tremors then a SVS Ultra or the new B2 subs should put a large smile on your face.

Also the Sunfire Signature has a massive shake factor,like SVS its great sub to cut low(no upper punch like the RSW series).

Just dont buy cheapo Sony WM40 class subs,these are boomy,undefined and just ruin music and distort plus have no real sub bass capability.

Fish,

Sure you fill a garbage can more and it will double as a gorgeous furniture,you fill a fat belly with burgers and Freedom fries and you with get a supermodel. 2.gif

Just redecorate the bum's hut under the main bridge and you will end up with Le Palais de Versailles

LOL

All the filling and amateurish tweaks in the world(no make this the GALAXY,known universe and the afterlife)will not compensate for a very flawed,lacking and mass market(trash)design.The amp is weak and poor quality,the cabinet as rigid as a paper bag and the woofer has the displacement of a tweeter!

Now some polyfill will save the pathetic and turn a frog into a prince.

I could write a book on bashing the BASH less WM40.The reviews this carboard box gets are so hyped its almost perverse.I start to wonder why so many people have no clue what quality is.

----------------

On 5/13/2003 12:03:12 PM talktoKeith wrote:

"Ear,did you not hear? you only need to stuff fill in the sony for world class(sony) bass, lol."

You didn't expect $2000 woo***e for $150 did you?

Keith

----------------

Keith,you are correct,no I dn't,I just could not resist gettin' the eAR fired up on the 40 11.gif (but he started it)12.gif

ditto what ears said about freeing-up power for your amp,and not stretching your speakers to the limit of their bass-making capability. my klf-30's hammer out bass, but my rsw-15 sub adds the extra bottom and volume that took me to the top of ht performance, and music sounds great too! ex.:'yes@house of blues'

avman.