denon vs HK with klipsch

amonteiro

DougDrake

you said

"So, doubling the volume (+10db) when you're already listening at a comfortable volume using 5 watts means you'll only need 10 watts to double the volume."

That is not correct. It is not + 10 watts it is X 10 . If you were listing to a speaker at 5 watts and doubled the volume (approximately 10 dB increase sounds twice as loud) it be a 10 dB increase which is 5 X 10 = 50 watts.

KK - You are right. I was on crack at the time. :)

Although I think it would be closer to 40 watts, as amp power doubled gives a 3db gain. Double once to add 3 db, double again to add 6db, double again to add 9db, which means a factor of 8 (2 to the 3rd power), or a total of 40 watts to add 9db. So, somewhere between 40 and 45 watts, IMO.

Doug

----------------

On 5/16/2003 4:11:39 AM marksdad wrote:

listen to moon, denon is ok, just not very musical they just seem to be limited, or holding back.

----------------

Just for clarification, I never said it was not musical.1.gif I was simply saying that it was ok, just like any other receiver. Mostly I was trying to point out that I have never been able to do a true A/B on Denon and H/K. I have yet to see a store where they are side beside. 4.gif

I have the same speakers as you with the Denon 1803 my hearing is OK but not great. I am very happy with this receiver with the exception of the remote, the wife is still not trained up on it. I would have liked an onscreen setup display rather than the LED readout, but once setup I have not fooled with it much, also less likely to have the kids "adjust it" for me. I have a typical 80's house the room this set up is in is about 16 X 30 feet. I do not have a sub yet perhaps a DIY in the future. The sound with this system for HT or music far surpasses anything that I have had previously and goes loud enough to have the neighbors ask me to turn it down, this was in winter with the windows closed (with the wife and kids gone). I considered the HK 525 and just did not want to spend that much, if I get the upgrade itch someday I may go HK and send the Denon to my brother.

Thanks m00n, been a bit of a lurker and have learned quite a bit from these forums. My brother turned me on the the RF3 a couple of years ago and I finally bit the bullet last fall with no regrets. BTW nice work on your setup!

----------------

On 5/16/2003 3:43:12 PM DeafDad wrote:

Thanks m00n, been a bit of a lurker and have learned quite a bit from these forums. My brother turned me on the the RF3 a couple of years ago and I finally bit the bullet last fall with no regrets. BTW nice work on your setup!

----------------

Thanks DeafDad1.gif. I need to put new pics up, but am waiting until I get my carpet down on my floor. I actually have my gear back in my room now and two rows of theater seats bolted down to the floor.