Promedia 4.1 vs Logitech Z560

Ohm

Hello

Some of you might remember me asking about the Promedia 2.1 set. Then I realised that 2.1 won't be enough for me considering I'm going to watch DVDs and play games etc. I listened to the Z560s earlier today, and they were worlds apart from my current Z540s. The bass doesn't really get muddy unless you turn them up quite a bit, as well as turn the bass setting to max.

I'm wondering if any of you could point me towards a review where the Z560s are directly compared to the Promedia 4.1s. Seeing as this is a Klipsch forum, I'm guessing most people here will recommend the Klipsch set.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you're looking for surround for games and DVD's you're going to need a 5.1 system. I'd get a Z-680 for stuff like that. A PM4.1 is the best in fidelity (for 4.1) if you want to listen to music (believe me, stereo sounds really good when it's bomberded at you from two angles on each side).

ohm,

heres the bottom line:

between 4.1 and 5.1

u need 5.1 to fully experience surround in games (some only, most games in the market - not the latest ones - do not utilize the center speaker) and movies, u need a 5.1 system - but believe me when i say this: 4.1 system will more than suffice.

between 560 and promedia 4.1

its all a matter of which do u value more: highs vs lows vs midrange

- the 560 beats the 4.1 in sheer loudness of the sub, albeit a bit boomy at times.

- 4.1 goes deeper but is VERY hindered by port turbulence, hence sub is not up to par with the 560's.

- highs definitely go to the promedias, 560s have a full range driver - no tweeter.

- mids are split. some say the 560s have better mids (but that could be because the highs are not as pronounced as with the promedias) while others claim that the promedias have more midrange.... i would side with the first. 560s have more pronounced mids because the highs are less pronounced so as a result, u end up focusing on the midrange more.

reliability?

- 4.1s are more reliable.

which is better?

- i honestly do not know.

thats my review. i hope that helped somewhat.

I have both sets of speakers. The only major difference that I noticed was that the Logitech sub seems boomier. When I put the systems side by side, I also noticed that the Promedias seemed to have better treble and sounded a bit more lifelike. If I did not put the systems side by side, I probably wouldn't have noticed that. If I were buying another set of 4.1 speakers, it would be a toss-up because of the price difference. If someone else were buying, I'd ask for the Promedias without hesitation.

3dss.com has reviews of both sets of speakers. They seem to cover a lot of details.

----------------

On 5/19/2003 10:06:42 PM Slaz13 wrote:

Air coming out of the port. I mean i know it always comes out but when you have like your music really loud and can hear the air coming out it. I hate port noise!

----------------

Yes and no. You will always hear the air coming out of the port. That's why it's there. Although it distorts stightly, a port will increase a drivers efficiency. Port noise becomes a factor when the air starts moving to fast and begins to compress in the port. that is why most powered subs have a fluted port. It reduces turbulance.

I personally think the Klipsch is also more lifelike, and has more detail to them. The Logitech while impressive for the price, sound a tad muddy or somewhat thick due to lack of detail to my ears. The klipsch just hold wonderful imaging (Example would be the hauntingly scary ambent sounds in Darkness Falls..courtesy of the surrounds.) in movies that the Logitechs cannot match.

Yes Logitechs subwoofer has better power-handling, but the Klipsch drive lower and the subwoofer is still loud enough to play over 100db. (I've gotten mine to hit 106db with some gain mods and such..with little port noise) I just keep a small, quiet fan on the back of the amp to keep cool. Port noise only occurs if you try to play below the frequency the port is tuned too: (Which it's max is 25hz, however unless you do some creative tricks..you won't be playing that 25hz very loud or it will be nasty). As well besides that and if you play bass period too loud, but thats more so the drivers bottoming out. However the KPM 4.1 is plenty loud for many people. The Subwoofer on the klipsch is more defined anyhoo, and the system overall is tuned lower as well for the crossover..which makes it sound more natural.

Crossover for the klipsch for sats is 120hz at +/-5db and 130hz +/-3db, where as the logitech is 150hz +/-3db and around 170hz at +/-5db. The dual drivers on the klipsch are tuned to 50hz and will play down to 46hz +/-5db and after the port which is tuned to 29hz will play down from the 46hz to the rated spec. The logitech's 8" driver is tuned to 60hz and the port tuned to 35hz, after that the frequency curve drops sharply.

Both system's are excellent however, but my opinion and testing have me believe that the klipsch are better.

Later!

I have heard the Z-560s...even the Klipsch 2.1 PMs sound better. If you are going for Logitech go for the Z-680s they are very comparable to the 5.1s but the 4.1s and the 5.1s hit deeper and a little cleaner than the Logitechs.

Remember, Klipsch owns the PC Market nothing else can touch in thier price range!!!2.gif2.gif

It's a matter of taste. Klipsch has a 2-way sat which will proved much better highs. The one ways on the logitechs seem to have much more previlant midrange, but that's most likely do to the lack of highs. As far as low range, yes klipsch is cleaner, but also puts out less output. Like I said, matter of personal taste. I have a hrad time believing that anyone would be incredibly disapointed with either set.

The Altec's are good speakers..but betweem the two..it will come down to taste..hold on I wrote something in Sharkyextreme about this...let me find it. Ok here it is...:

~~~~~

Well I'd say the 641's are better for vocal and classical, however thats it to me. The klipsch have an advantage in a lot things...be it Jazz, R&B, and Rock. Being Horn-Loaded it can filled a bigger room much better then many MM systems. (Which is why many think the PM's are to bright...thats not true...horns are not ment for near field, but far field.) To each his/her own however, not everybody likes the same things. The 641's are good clean speakers, however to my ears the system midrange and bass sounds very "Thick" or hollow, I find imaging on the Promedia's to be better for certain music, and the low crossover helps a lot in that department.

The Altec's will also drive quite low, in respect equal to the promedia's or even purhaps a little deeper. I will say the Altec's do have more controlled bass, and a tad tigher (Which helps with music). The Promedia's are very punchy however, and have more dynamics in terms of it's bass. Watching a movie example will show dynamic levels. Another problem i have is the blending is far better on the promedias..this will very from person to person and depends on setup..but to me the sat/sub blending was far more natural on the promedias.

~~~~~~~

Hope that helped.