Klipschorn "Crowding" Question

zach7

I have a shot at buying a pair of K'horns to replace a pair of La Scalas. I have a good wall and pair of corners of these K'horns but, there is an entertainment center that has to go between them. It seems that there is just enough room on either side of the entertainment center for the K'horns. However, the sides of the entertainment center would extend 14" beyond the inner corner of the K'horn. I could build a false wall and bring the K'horns our by 15" or so, but this is the only flexibility I have.

Here's my question: would this be crowding the K'horns too much? Doesn't the low end sound come out the sides? Any feedback would be appreciated!

TIA, zach7

...sounds a little snug to me. true, you could build false corners and pull them out of the room corners, but wouldn't they then extend beyond the sides of the ent. center? that might look a bit...cramped. what are your room dimensions?

i'm with johnny db. i have my khorns in a 16 X 28 room. the khorns are on the 16 ft wall, with a 65" hdtv between them. i previously had them on the 28 ft wall. WAY better bass on the 28 ft wall, an better overall sound, but was sitting too close to the big screen for the wife. so, i'm building a subwoofer...

This is exactly why I have not persued Klipschorns. I do not have the proper space to make them work (I could squeeze them in, but anticipate a similar problem as yours). I felt that trying to squeeze them in would be a sonic injustice to the Khorns - one may be as well off with LaScalas or Belles in that situation, and have more placement and toe in flexibility as well.

I have my Khorns on a 22'wall in my 16' x 22' room and I have a similar problem with the entertainment center in the middle. I have a big screen in the center of that wall, and what I notice is an interruption of the soundstage from that. The two Khorns often don't blend together properly. I suppose I also suffer some bass loss too, but my entertainment center is built up off the floor some, so the bass goes right underneath. This may be a solution for you too, if you could somehow elevate the other equipment and leave space below. I'm surprised at how many people are trying to use subwoofers with Khorns. I finally gave up, I just couldn't get the bass to meld together. I always had the Khorns doing their thing, and then the sub was doing it's thing. I got rid of the sub.

BUT! Let me tell you what else I did. I started putting more and more equipment in the living room, and when my wife complained, I talked her into letting me build another family room for all my "junk". I sold her on the idea of having "her" living room back, without all the "junk", and she jumped all over the idea. So now, I'm planning to build a room just for my Khorns and other systems, including a home theater setup on one end. Sweeeeet!

Just food for thought.

Greg Roberts

even before i put the tv between the k-horns on the 16 ft wall, i had considerably less bass than when i had them on the 28 ft wall. having the tv between them on the 28 ft wall didn't effect the bass at all. so i don't think the tv is the problem with the bass, i think i'm getting cancellation just due to their proximity to each other.

i also did not perceive good center channel dialogue on movies with just the k-horns, so i recently built a center channel speaker using a jbl 2397 wood horn with jbl 2441 2" driver, a pair of woofers from an rf-7, and an ev t-35 tweeter. really made my movies come to life. i know the woofers are not a perfect timbre match to the k-horns, but i've also got jbl 2" mid drivers and t-35s in the k-horns so from 500hz up they blend seamlessly enough that i'm happy with the overall sound.

i'm still gonna try adding a subwoofer, as others have been successful with them and k-horns. adding another room to my house just is not in my near future budget!

K-Horn bass augmentation via subwoofers works just fine, given a decent subwoofer, and probably some sub equalization to deal with those pesky room modes/resonances which are typically a problem when dealing with unacceptable bass response (can you say Behringer DSP1124?).

The studio that PWK used was 27'X 16' with the Klipschorns on the long wall.

This size of room and the placement of the horns on the long wall gave a diagnol of 32'. 32' is what is required for a 32 HZ bass note to fully propagate in the room. The room was designed on the golden means ratio. Its explained in several Dope from Hope papers. This size room also lends itself well to the 3 channel stereo that PWK peferred.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 12:40:01 PM The Hobbit wrote:

The studio that PWK used was 27'X 16' with the Klipschorns on the long wall.

This size of room and the placement of the horns on the long wall gave a diagnol of 32'. 32' is what is required for a 32 HZ bass note to fully propagate in the room. ----------------

I've heard on this Forum previously that 1/4 of a wavelength is all that's needed for bass waves to propagate. I can't remember the example given, but I thought the diagonal for sufficient bass propagation in a room was a bit sahorter than that...anybody??