Quintet's for rear speakers and kg4s for mains

flyboymd

Well, I finally found you guys. Have been listening to my KG4's for 20 years, but couldn't bring myself to buy one of those cheap, pre-selected HT systems. Anyway, I have KG4's for my main speakers, and based on a few posts here, it looks like the KV-3 is an ideal center. I bought a couple of Quintets for rears, but so far have been unimpressed. Is there something I can tweak on the Nakamichi, or should I go for a different set of rears? They don't seem to put out much sound at all. Mostly have it in Dolby Pro-on with the simulated center channel as I have the KV-3 on order right now. Any advice would be much appreciated. Scott

Scott - I used Klipsch SS-1s as rears with my KG4s (still using them now with my Chorus until I find a suitable replacement). They make a nice match with the KG4 for WDST-style speakers.

If you want to do direct radiating, check some of the smaller KG speakers (1.5, 2.5, etc...).

DD

Quintets are actually pretty good for surround duty. I have a pair of quintets with KG4.2 fronts hooked up to a Sony ES STR-DA2ES. They sound fantastic. I set my 4.2's full range while the quintets gets the default 120hz high pass. The problem in your setup is Pro-Logic has limited bandwidth surrounds. There really isn't much surround sound in pro-logic, mainly ambiance.

I would recommend against using Quintets for rear surrounds. Those tiny speakers just will not be able to really keep up with your KG4s. Their isn't any 3.5" woofer (that's what the Quintet satellite uses) in the world that will keep up with the dual 8" woofers in the KG4s. You are truly asking far too much from the Quintets. Going with a any KG series speaker (check eBay) will yield MUCH better results!

As previously suggested, I would upgrade to the KG-1, KG-1Plus, KG-1.2, KG-1.5, KG-2, KG-2.2, KG-2.5 or KG-3 for rears. It will make a huge difference. In fact I just replaced my (B) surrounds that were a pair of ADS L300C's which are a very nice mini-speaker with a pair of KG-1's, you would not think it would make alot of difference since I have La Scala's and Heresy II's back there. However, it made a huge difference the tonal match is now stunning - I was really amazed at the difference these little speakers made. I went with the KG-1 since they were one of the only pair of bookshelf speakers that Klipsch made that had a sealed vs. ported enclosure. I now have an all Klipsch HT minus the subwoofers of course.