Wary

dodger

Greetings:

If some wonder why I hesitate in some replies :

Have McIntosh C20, Son 755 R-R, Technics Cassette. All needed some work. "Friend" that was repair tech took care of problems.

In return, gave him unbuilt Dynaco tube preamp, McIntosh 55 tuner.

He got upset, said work was worth more. About $250.00. 25 year friendshp down drain.

Cruising eBay, saw preamp listed. Price OVER $1000.00 (also gave 2 tube radios). He got close to $1100.00 plus what he received for tuner and radios. Never even said thanks. Not even offer of lunch (Makes 4 - 5x what I do - he's at VP job for Nationally known Audio equipment company). If I sound bitter, I apologize. I read about quality of NOS Valves, wish I was closer. Would use and properly pay in heartbeat. Don't expect freebies, understand worth of quality work. All lucky to have NOS as friend/honest repair.

Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, tape decks work lasted 2 - 3 months.

Most people value money over friendship. He traded your friendship for his money. Few are those who do a favor for a friend without expecting the same in return. He took your parts, added whatever value he did and sold them for more. Next time get the repair estimate in writing and trade like for like. This time, you can trade his money for your friendship and he will be poorer for it.2.gif

Mail him a print out of the ebay auction and offer to trade him $250 for the kit and equipment. Unless you've exchanged too many bad nouns, you can salvage the friendship. 25 years is worth more than $250.

On further thought I couldn't help but wonder why you are upset with your (ex)friend. Didn't you agree to the arrangment between the two of you?

Even if he 'got upset' prior to your final negotiation you had the option to back out if you thought it unfair. Didn't you?

You went ahead with the deal. You could have sold the equipment on ebay but didn't. He did and you're upset about him making money on what was his property to do with as he saw fit.

You could have done exactly what he did but you chose to deal with your friend and not ebay.

I'm not saying your (ex)friend was morally right. Just trying to put another light on the situation.

Regards,

Tony

Greetings:

I like the way you look at it Tony.

It is refreshing.

He did get upset AFTER the work and made the coments weeks after the work was completed.

But, I should have done the selling.

The price quoted for shipping is lower than I thought.

NOS Valves, would you take a new client when needed?

----------------

On 5/20/2003 12:26:44 PM dodger wrote:

He did get upset AFTER the work and made the coments weeks after the work was completed.----------------

The original post wasn't really clear for me as to the facts. If there is a lesson here it would appear that it would be wise to set forth conditions of any deal out the outset and not allow there to be any variable by either party. As in this case his labor I suppose.

That way both parties can only blame themselves if they feel shorted after the fact.

Tony

Of coarse I will take any new customer ! Let me know when you need some work done. Sorry to hear you got a raw deal !

I myself make very little off my true friends ! In fact people on this forum get better deals from me then just anyone that contacts me from outside the forum. I figure I owe everyone here for helping my business grow.

Craig