Aloha

RangerSix

Well, its time to say goodbye for a while. I havent been on here long enough for most of yall to care, but I thought I say it anyway. Next week, Im heading to Korea for my next assignment. Though its only a one-year hardship assignment, Infantry Branch wants me to stay for two. I will probably take them up on their offer since it means being close to Japan and Hawaii (and I'm not even Japanese or Asian ... go figure eh).

Since I have never shown you guys my humble theater, amongst other things, Ive decided to do it now. It gets packed up in a few days and I wont see it for two years (hardship tour). So I thought I might share some of my passions with folks whose company Ive grown to enjoy even those of the liberal persuasion.6.gif

The first picture should be rather self-explanatory this is my home theater.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=27186&

For almost two years, this HT has served me well. Ive decided to give this entire system as a gift to my parents. Its my small way of saying thanks for being great parents. I couldnt have asked for a better childhood.

All the other pictures are from my hobby, collecting Japanese antiques. Sadly, audio will never be a major interest. The hearing in my right ear was virtually destroyed from service in the Persian Gulf in 91. Thats all Ill say about that.

post-9658-13819247483592_thumb.jpg

This next picture I posted on another thread several months ago. This was my first authentic samurai gusoku (armor) that I bought. This piece was probably made sometime around the late 1500s and early 1600s. I still need to do more research on this particular piece. Very nice to look at in person.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=27187&

post-9658-13819247484672_thumb.jpg

This next Hikone gusoku is a recent addition. This was made sometime in the Momoyama period around 1580/90. The armor comes from a samurai of the Ii clan. Its leader was a daimyo named Ii Naomasa. He stipulated that samurai in his clan standardize their armor. He dictated that the armor be lacquered red with large horns (maedate) adorning the helmet. This group was known for their ferocity in battle. As such, they were named Ii no Akaoni (Red Devils of the Ii Clan). This group of 3600 men drew first blood at the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 (considered the Waterloo of Japan) slamming into Ukita Hideies clan of 17,000. By the end of this massive battle 60,000 heads would be taken as trophies.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=27188&

On the armor, you may notice part of the mid-section lacing has deteriorated. It may have been a result of poor storage. However, there may have been a more grisly reason. The lace remnants show light red discoloration. In battle, the beaten enemies head would be severed and carried. That spot where the lacing is coming apart is about the location where it would have been secured for transport. However, its just a theory. One day I will probably take a portion of the lace to a lab for further testing.

Heres the actual armor worn by Ii Naomasa at Sekigahara (just showing it for comparison).

l_2.jpg

Artist representation of Ii Naomasas actions at Sekigahara.

naomasa.jpg

Overall, the armor is in excellent condition. I feel fortunate to have such an important piece of history.

post-9658-13819247485436_thumb.jpg

Heres a samurai commanders baton (Sai-hai). Looks like a flywhisk, and I bet on many occasions it was used just for that. Its major function was to direct actions on the battlefield. This piece was made sometime around 1750. The previous picture above shows the sai-hai in use.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=27189&

post-9658-13819247486256_thumb.jpg

This last piece Im showing you guys is my favorite samurai sword. It was made in the Chikuzen province by a sword smith named Nobukuni Yoshimasa somewhere between 1624 and 1644. The blade is truly a work of art. Its in fresh polish, so you can brush your teeth from the reflection of the blade. Sharp as a razor also. Sadly, I will not be able to take it over to Korea. Ive heard rumors that Korean customs confiscates items such as this for 6 months or so.

BTW: The photo's were not taken by me, but professionally done by the sword dealer (He's one of the best in the country - totally recommend if you're ever in the market.)

katana_nobukuni.jpg

koshirae.jpg

Well, thats about it. Hope I didnt put anyone to sleep.

Its been a pleasure.

Outstanding stuff----

A very good friend of mine picked up some sort of virus during his Vietnam stint that extended through his service as White House Telecommunications director for the Reagan years that requires him to collect Asian Dragon artwork (it must be a virus - otherwise how do you explain the illness?). He introduced me to the outstanding beauty of that part of the world's art with an attention to detail that is disarmingly consistent.

Good luck on your next assignment. Your gift to the parents is so nice - I hope my job as a parent is good enough to get that sort of reward someday. The thought is so loving that you have probably assured a high profile in their will.

And yes to all that have read my off topic posts - That good friend is a staunch conservative Republican and I am a very dedicated liberal. And good friend he is - it just reminds us all that from a foundation standpoint we are more alike than different.

Lastly Ranger - serving this country is, in the final analysis, one of the most rewarding things a person can do. Thanks for watching our backside...

Hey Ranger, good luck to you man. Keep your head low and be safe. Nice very nice collection of culture there. I think my personal favorite culture is ancient Egyptian.

Again, you be carefull over there. 4.gif

m00n

I also want to extend my well wishes and prayers. That is indeed a very nice gester in giving away your HT setup to your parents as a gift. I hope they will enjoy it as much as you have.

Also, I also want to commend you on a very nice collection of Japenese antiquities. I also noticed that you have your sword displayed correctly (with the curved side up - like a frown face - "8.gif"). For those that don't know - displaying it like that keeps the "business" edge of the blade from resting against the scabbard, thus preventing the blade from getting dulled and the scabbard from getting damaged.

Hey, good luck on your new assignment, and if you get a chance - drop in. There are a bajilion internet cafe's in South Korea - so getting online should not be to much of a problem.

Also, as fellow Army - thanks for your service to our country.