Unglueing Heritage rear label

formica

Just a quick question... I'm refinishing my 74 Heresys and they have tattered but well glued "rear" labels... What kind of glue would have been used in 1974? Does anyone know how to peel them off... ? Or do I just finish around them? 8.gif

My 80's Cornwall labels barely hold on... obviously not the same glue... that would have been to easy 5.gif

IIRC the glue is water soluble. Unfortunately, so is the ink in some of the pens the builders wrote on the label with. To remove them. I think all you need to do is thoroughly soak them, them carefully peal. If you want to reapply the lables, lay them out flat, face down, on a smooth surface to dry. Then reapply with white glue, not the waterproof kind. Personally, I would just remove the label and leave it off. The back looks better that way. The serial numbers are punched into the back edge of one of the panels anyway. If guess you could mask the label very carefully. If you do, use the blue 3M masking tape, not the cheap stuff. Otherwise, you risk ripping some of the face off the label.

• 2 weeks later...

For non water base adhesives, try Un-du adhesive remover. I collect New Yorker magazine covers, and I am able to get the mailing labels off without marring the surface of the cover.

From the bottle: "The solution instantly neutralizes the adhesive temporarily and then quickly evaporates allowing you to reuse the sticker, label or tape again and again."

Check www.un-du.com

Chris

The un-do looks nifty.

I was going to suggest that you could haul the speakers to a photocopy machine and copy the lable. Then you'd have a duplicate to put back on. Easier to do with Heresys than most others.

Gil

There were already water stains on the labels, so I tried soaking them in water and peeling them off... although most of it gets unglued, the edges were stubborn and I stopped before damaging them.

I refinished around them, but I did scan them before the experiment... so I could reprint them if I want. Unfortunately I hadn't heard of www.un-du.com... 15.gif I printed up some new ones which I cleaned up in Photoshop... but I think I like the tattered versions better. Somehow they look more authentic like an old piece of furniture with it's original finish.

I posted a somewhat high resolution version "before" scan of the label ... I tried to edit my post and include a lower res one, but it never accepted the change...

click on this link for the "Before" scan in Low resolution

post-11489-1381924750038_thumb.jpg

Wish I had gotten here in time! we sell Dipropylene glycol monomethyl ether and all you do is get a razor blade, pick up the top of the sticker with it, then put a few drops of DgME behind the pulled up part of the sticker... as the liquid flows down the label, on the back side of it mind you, you pull up and there goes the label. best part? the sticky is still there! put the label face down, refinish, yadda yadda, put the label back on and you can use the original adhesive! could have sent you a complimentary sample. 15.gif