Dr. NOS 440 pays a house call

Craig needed to come down and look at a home remodeling job I need quoted.

He took the liberty of bringing down BRUCE "The wild the innocent and the E Street Shuffle" and Steely Dan "Can't Buy a Thrill" and a couple of others.

I warmed up the LK-48 for about 3 hours before he made it down. Checked the level, mass and anti skate for the JA Michell with Grado Gold installed.

We washed both albums on the VPI machine with standard fluid and brush.

Bruce was a stock album and Steely Dan was a 180 gram reissue.

Bruce was first. Craig has heard this album for almost 30 years and seemed quite impressed.

It was funny to listen to "ROSALITA". It was obviously produced a little different for radio play in 70s vintage car stereos. Less deep bass to bottom out old car speakers and a little more tipped to the high end.

The rest of the album was a naturally jazzy sound with little or no effects or major compression.

--------

Steely Dan was quite amazing for me it was my forst 180 gram reissue I have heard on my rig. There seemed to be 2-3 layers of different keyboards. Fender Rhodes, accoustic piano(could not tell what kind from one listen), and others.

Very natural cymbals! One thing I hate about digital; even the best red book CDs have smeared and tinny cymbals. DVD -Audio sounds better for cymbals. I do not have enough experience with SACD to comment.

The drive of the rhythm section of the basss and drums was infectious. A real toe tapper.

It was apparrent the rumors of Steely Dan being so meticulus in the studio were evident. Where the Bruce had a spontaneous but tight feel; the DAN was a leave nothing to chance, no miscue will be tolerated musical statement.

I like the way my system alows me to "peer" into the thought process of the musicans and producers to understand how they intended to put the music together.

---------------------------

It was fun to finally have a guy as driven by the horn sound come to my house for a listen.

Most people that come by know I have a reasonably competent system; but have no other good systems to benchmark it against.

Craig did not seem to tortured for his first session with Chorus IIs.

PS!

Those 180 grams reissues are the real deal. If there is a "must have" or "desert island" LP from your past; investing in a quality reissue is money well spent.

Just pulled up music direct to find almost all the old Grateful Dead albums have been remastered. I'm in heaven now. Looks like I'll be getting a couple hundred $$ worth of Father's Day presents next week!!9.gif Thanks for the info.

Man, Craig's been holed up in his workroom so long I'm surprised he even remembers how to do a remodeling job. Better be careful -- he might try to solder your house back together.9.gif

I've been tempted at times to get a turntable just so I can hear those Zep'lin 180 gm. reissues -- some of the worst recorded stuff on digital ever.

Dean,

As previously discussed and offered...

I will send you my CS-508 Dual(slight motor noise you would not hear when listenening) with brand new Ortofon cart for cheap.

It aint the greatest but it sounds good enough to get me hooked on vinyl.

3 easy payments of...

I had a wonderfull time. It was great to get out of my dungeon !! I have total respect for the Chorus II's real nice speakers ! They seem well balanced from top to bottom and make some great controlled bass. The Scott 222C/LK-48 sounds really good with these speakers a perfect match and soon it will be improved I hope 6.gif

We had a great time !

Dean you are a A$$ LOL !!!

Craig

Yes, I am an ***, and I'm getting worse everyday. Time to repent -- or in the modern day venacular, turn or burn.

No TT for me -- I already owe too many people money. Still owe Jazzman for the preamp and still owe Craig as well -- besides, no phono output.

For me, one of the most fun things about vinyl is that you can buy it used for practically nothing. The only catch is that you all are going to have to switch to classical music; I don't see much rock out there. Used classical is maybe 50 or even 100 times more common. To be blunt about it, I think what I am finding is a lot of records that were thrown out by the kids when dad died.

I keep finding excellent quality vinyl for 25 to 89 cents, sometimes imports from the UK or Germany. I think I'm behind listening to more than a hundred of them. If I keep spending money at this rate I'll be broke in a couple thousand years.

My city has only 50,000 people but there is a lot of used vinyl at thrift shops and garage sales and church sales, and sometimes it is really obscure and interesting stuff. The problem I see with eBay is the majority of sellers will have a minimum bid of $3-5, to make it worth their bother, and charge way too much for postage, usually a few bucks more than it actually costs. So unless buying new retail, local is the way to go.

Have you guys all checked out sundazed.com ? They have some excellent titles that they have reissued.

Steely Dan, Oh, ya, can't get enough of that. I use any of there LP's for reference when I change or add something to my system. Good clean & dynamic.

I guess I have to consider myself lucky in the LP dept. There is a "record" store about 5 miles from me, called Record Breakers, (they have a website), that sells all. Thousands of LP's & CD's new & used, its like a kid in a candy store with a sweet tooth when you walk in.3.gif

Tom

Craig,

We don't have any used record stores here. I get all my used vinyl at Goodwill, Volunteers of America, Salvation Army, garage sales, and church sales.

My city probably is more dominated by older folks; youngsters tend to move on to faster-paced cities so they can spend an hour a day in traffic jams.

Dean,

I picked up Chevelle today, it was mis priced at $8.99, so I figured what the hell. I'm listening on my PC right now at work. I must say I have mixed feelings about there music, it's all good till he starts doing what I would call that "satanic yell chant", would be the best I could describe it. Otherwise interesting lyrics and good heavy jamming.

Tom

Dean,

ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Do you want to do vinyl or not?

You can have new music for $ 2.00 orless(much less) an issue on vinyl.

Compared to CD.

It may be old new music; but whole, stable, vibrant music.

It will defineitely not be new "METAL" music. That kind of music; most likely; is not a defining genre for music reproduction accuracy.

------------------------------

CYMBALS

For me they are one of the significant defining poorly reproduced instruments of the digital age.

High hat, crash, ride...it makes no matter.

On red book CD they are smeared and porly defined. Massivly tinny on poorly mastered music.

-------------------

If you avoid vinyl; you avoid a well defined rythym section from the non digital "METAL" perspective!

"I know that Laurel Canyon is full of famous stars,

i kill them in their houses and i kill them in their cars" from pre 1975

Name the artist and LP name?

Music publishers will not issue music unles they figure it will sell 300,000 copies legit in todays market.

We will miss allot of influence we could have acquired 30 years ago!

It will be MP3 or never published at all!

STILL CRABBY!

Like everything else I've been doing over the last year -- trying different things just to see for myself if the differences are as earth-shattering as some claim -- I will probably make a move back into vinyl over the next year. Of course, vinyl isn't new to me -- and back in the good old days I had a pretty pricey MC setup. I still hear a pretty decent MM setup every now and then, and personally -- I don't see what the fuss is all about. I mean, vinyl recordings have compression too, and though the top end isn't quite as 'splashy' -- dynamics are lacking. Heck, I still remember terrible sounding records -- Am I the only person that remembers this? Still, it would be fun I suppose.

I was kidding about Chevelle on vinyl -- I was taking a tongue in cheek stab at Craig. I don't consider most of what I listen to as Metal -- I actually only have two Metal recordings if you can believe it. It's Alternative, and it sounds good on the RF-7's. I think some of the new stuff is a hoot. I don't like all of it -- but there are about a half dozen bands that seem to have it together. I listened to Genesis Seconds Out the other day, and listened to ELP's Brain Salad Surgery when Dave paid picked up the Cornwalls. Cymbals sounded as good as anything I remember from those recordings on record.

Chevelle has some good words -- which shouldn't come as a surprise since the words come from a Biblical/Christian world view. Chevelle band members are actually Born Again Christians. Same goes for Kutless and East-West. So, no Satanic chants from any of these guys --

How does DVD Audio on the RB-5's stack up against the Chorus setup Rick?