Dr. NOS 440 pays a house call

Mark-

The contact pressures are very high BUT vinyl is a polymer and when a pressure is applied it takes time for the polymer chains to slip and slide to get the material to actually deform. When the stylus hits a groove the duration of impact is so fast that the polymer chains cannot react fast enough so the grooves present a *hard* obstacle to the stylus. Some wear occurs but it is remarkable how long a vinyl LP will last given some attention to the basics.

An analogy might be the diver and the belly-flop. The water presents itself like concrete to the belly-flopper(?).

It's so much fun to make fun of vinyl! All I know is that EVERYONE who has listened to an A/B comparison in my system has been astonished by how much better records sound than CDs--and that is with SOME surface noise, as most of my records are FAR from new.

My CD player retails for $4500 and my vinyl rig set me back about $700 (but might cost double or triple that to put together today).

The thing that makes CDs great is not how they sound, but that it takes ZERO effort to get the most out of them--no fiddling with VTA, azimuth, VTF, record cleaning, anti-static, etc. And you can toss them around like frisbees and do no harm!

" All I know is that EVERYONE who has listened to an A/B comparison in my system has been astonished by how much better records sound than CDs...My CD player retails for $4500 and my vinyl rig set me back about $700 (but might cost double or triple that to put together today)."

Dag gone it Allan -- you can't say stuff like that around me -- you know what a sucker I am.

Dean,

I am willing to send you a turn table if your willing to pick up some descent records and at least give it a listen. I bet a dime to a dollar you will be a vinyl freak after the first night !!

The key here is finding good vinyl be ultra picky !!

I can even send you a manual record cleaning kit so you can wash them before playing.

Craig

I love Mark but he can really blow thing out a proportion at times LOL !! He was comparing a Model A ford to records on the phone to me the other night !! He said every time he hears someone talk about LP's he think of manually cranking the motor to start a car ! Funny stuff

Greetings:

For vinyl, we all can remember compressers and everything that you could add to fit as much as you could.

And we remember how much dynamic range and how much more lifelike and less expensive CDs were going to be.

And now we can see how many times a CD can be "re-mastered" so we will buy another copy.

And pigs can fly. The flower child era members will know the difference between vinyl and CD to US. The younger ones will be born to CD.

Pops, crackles were inherent to become problem to vinyl. That can be overlooked and kept to a minimum with care. What sounds good to you - CD or vinyl is important.

Dean, if you get a TT I have an Ortofon Cartridge (or a Shure) if you want to use.

There are several companies making 180 gram. And Disc Washers can still be found. Anyone remember the straight tracking arms? Besides, Crystal Gayle looks much better on the album cover than the cd.1.gif

Mark,

I fully agree with you about warped records. In the mid-70s they were really bad. I remember sometimes going through the entire stock of a particular title at a store and every one would be warped! The store manager just re-shrinkwrapped them all and sold them to people who didn't mind.

Funny thing is, as I have bought a couple hundred used LPs in the last couple years, I don't think I've had a single warped one. But a lot of them are older, and maybe (?) classical records were given better quality control than pop records.

Paul got my lyric

point was there are 6 Neil Young LPs that will not be put out on CD.

With many artists it is the same.

We narrow the potential population of a music collection if we do not buy vinyl.

Buddy Miles

Benny Goodman quintet

Johnny Winter

Memphis Slim

Elmore James

I get tired of greatest hits and compilation CDs.

I want to hear what the "team" that made the LP intended. Not 2 songs from an old LP on a compilation.

Hello:

I wholeheartedly agree. Some albums will be included in a boxed set costing way too much. Then on some occasions, a smaller boxed set is released with something different, so if you want it you buy that and have 2 copies of some.

Then there's the time span the CD is out - seems much shorter than our albums.

And I go back to mastering, a number of the Beatles cds sound fast, and where a strong guitar or vocal was on the album, sounds much different on the CD. And we have Super CDs coming with more info that may or may not play on your Cd player. How do we spell CD - GREED

Win12.gif