Tube Power Wanted

toddc

Looking to get started with a tube amplifier (and pre) and would love suggestions, advice, or even sales offers.

What I've got now is a pair of original Forte's (96 db sens?) that I bought new around '85 and have enjoyed much. Recently added a nice philips 963sa sacd played and it made me realize why I was never quite happy with my cd's.

Now I want to finish out the smoothness with a tube amp. Old or new is okay but other than plugging in parts don't want to rebuild. Currently considering Antique Sound Labs wave AV8 monoblocks and their matching pre, totalling about $500.

Thoughts, suggestions, curses?

I would recommend the integrated tube amp I use now with my Heritage series Klipsch. If you buy an integrated amp (with the preamp built in), you will not need to spend extra money for a separate pre-amp.

The one I own is the antique sound labs MG-SI15. It is awesome! I use mine in Single Ended Triode mode. It also has a switch to operate in Petode Mode for higher output. With the Klipsch high efficency speakers, 5 watts in SET mode is more than enough. It can get very loud with just 5 watts!!!

The list price is $750. You may be able to find one at www.audiogon.com for under $500. Remarkable amp for the money...

Rob

3.gif

When I was looking around wondering where to start with tubes, I was really glad to run across a Scott 299b that had been rebuilt by NOSValves, who is a member of this forum. He does alot of checkout for folks and has got a fine rep. If you decide to get a vintage amp, he's really good. There are some posts on this forum, that suggest that in this price range, vintage has an edge over some new stuff. Noticed a post on this forum, earlier on today, where someone wanted to sell a vintage Eico tube amp. It was quite reasonable in price, $350, I think, and it was a NOSValves rebuild, too.

Sorry not to know the location of that post.

Regards,

Dee

Thanks for the suggestion on the EICO, I'll try and go find some articles on them. Seems to be a lot of discussion here about Scott.

How will the vintage gear compare in sound to the newer? How would one describe the sound differences?

BTW - are the Forte's part of the heritage line?

This could go on forever...

If you wanted a Scott made today it would cost $ 2000-2500 most likely.

Search previous threads for Scott, Fisher, Eico and never downplay Heathkit.

Certain vintage integrateds can be better voiced for different kinds of music.

Some people would say an Eico is not a hard rock amp. But better for small group jazz.

And so on and so on....

Read back over the past 9 months on this forum; great notes.

PS

Guys with Scotties rarely give them up.

I've got a Scott 222-C that I'm considering selling. Actually, I've got 2 of them. The one I use has been restored by Craig. The other one is original, as far as I can tell, but is in working condition. You could buy a Scott and have it restored for about $500. They sound great. I've got a couple wood cabinets and metal 'Leatherette' cabinets too. May sell this stuff soon. Let me know if you're interested.

Keith

I'm listening to the 222c and have a long thread on this board about it...recommended.

There is a thread running about a Scott 299b and Fortes.

Mobile Homeless (kelly) pushed the Eico and wrote a lot about it on this forum.

Read the MapleTree Audio Design thread on this board. Their new equipment looks attractive and in the old spirit.

There was another recent thread about other vintage amps (Dynaco) that are great buys for the money.

I would determine your need for phono and compare the cost of amp/pre/phono vs integrated. I've been impressed with the 222c integrated.

I reading the opinions right with you...enjoy.

Yeah, I've been following that other thread. When is that darn box gonna arrive at his place already? :) Postings from people who have forte are so rare that I was really looking forward to a review with a vintage amp.