Survey - what do you plan next?

Colin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Mr. Blorry... on your road to becoming totally "tube-ular" why not pick up another pair of KLF 30's? You mentioned parties and adding tube amps... so I am guessing you have the room... and with 30's as mains, you might also have the inclination.

I have tried a number of different Klipsch options as surrounds... but nothing beats another pair of 30's for most sonic fare. While it is true that some of the older recorded material would benefit from 180° array of mid-range horns (I am still toying with that as an addition to my surround 30's) most of the critical listening sound sources (kicking music & well engineered DVD's) fare better with side KLF 30 horns carefully aimed at your prime listening area.

One place where other solutions have consistently failed is in the tone & timbre matching with the mains on sonic pans... somehow the Doppler phase shift effect does better for speeding trains than lumbering tanks. Try it, it may even put a smile on your avatar! HornEd

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Mod Center

KLF 30 Mod Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and more...

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

• 3 weeks later...

What I plan to do next has allready been done, I bought a house to go along with my home theater system, 2700 square feet split level home, home theater room redonein 1999, wet bar, gas fireplace, jucuzzi tub, house completely wired for sattalite. Livin the good life!! it's all about movin on up... my neighbors are george and wheezy.

Survey say's.........

1. pair of (oiled) walnut forte's (the 1's) to replace my Tannoy PSM6.5 rear surrounds....anyone looking to shed?

2. daylite screen to replace the sheet of white plywood I'm currently using for a front projector screen

3. replace current stock woofer in my center Belle with a Stephens Trusonic 103LX

4. perhaps replace the mid-horn on that Belle with a Altec Lansing 511B

5. add DVD-Audio....

Does it ever end? Pics upon request!

Ed

Fronts: 1960's era Klipschorns (slightly modified)

Center: 1984 Klipsch Belle

Sub: Klipsch KSW200

Surrounds: Tannoy PSM6.5's

Receiver: Denon AVR1701

Video: InFocus LP350 DLP front projector

DVD: Panasonic A320

S-VHS: Panasonic PV-S7670

LaserDisc: Pioneer CDL-406

CD: Kenwood CD-404 5-Disk Changer

EQ (for the CD player): Furman E151X2

Protection: Furman AV1215 Power Condition/Voltage Reg

Our next project is a remodeling of our living room. This will involve the retirement of our CWD entertainment center (it truly served us well), the addition of a Belle center channel, and rearrangement of the television and electronics in a Salamander Designs Archetype System shelving arrangement. The attached .jpeg file is a copy of an AutoCAD drawing we are using to develop the arrangement. The flanking Klipschorns, television and other electronics are existing . . . see the attached Klipschorn and CWD entertainment center photos in this and the following post.

Forgive the poor rendition of the AutoCAD drawing, as it is in "wire frame" format to keep file size down when I converted it to a .jpeg image . . . we created the Klipschorns in a 3D image, so we could accurately project it on the wall at a 45 degree angle. The entire view can be rendered in wood, glass, paint, etc. to give us a rough idea of the finished look. It helps to have a couple of teenagers who know AutoCAD fairly well.

We are looking forward to the driver problem being solved in the Heritage line so we can order the Belle. Any word on dates, Bob G.?

Phil

This message has been edited by Phil Hauck on 07-01-2001 at 01:41 AM

Attached are the remainder of the photographs from my preceding post.

Also, lest my fellow Hope compatriots forget, I still have an electronic photo album in the works from our visit in February . . . it shall be completed!

Phil

Yes, the television on top of the Belle . . . problems are shielding and elevation, but I don't have much choice in matching the cornerhorns for styling and tone. I will probably install a 1/4" thick steel plate under the cabinet top on the Belle to deal with shielding . . . per a recommendation from the Klipsch laboratory in Hope . . .

Phil

Leather, reclining loveseat to replace full size sofa that takes up too much floor space. Note that this is being done to free up some room for a pair of Heresy's bought as surrounds since I don't want to mount them from the ceiling.

Next.....Either a Zen Triode tube amp or a Bottlehead foreplay and a pair of Paramour monoblocks and that new sony SACD changer. Or maybe.....jeez someone help me...I have a sickness.

You know, I started this whole thing as strictly a home theater but somewhere along the way, I decided that I needed to pursue 2-channel audio bliss. I'm perfectly happy with the HT as it is now, but this 2-channel thing.....where does it end?

------------------

--Elliott--

Heresy II Main/Surround

RC-3

SVS 20-39cs

Denon 2801

JVC D-Series

Pioneer DV-525

Mac,

I spoke to Jim Hunter in the Klipsch laboratory when I visited Hope . . . he indicated that LOW carbon steel plate between the drivers of the Belle and your television is all that is needed. The plate that Klipsch sells has a cost of $100, and is supposedly the same thing . . . they have described it as sitting on top of the Belle . . . the one I saw is painted black. I was going to find a way of installing a shelf of some sort under the top of the Belle to slide the plate into . . . it may require some minor modifications.

Phil

Hi guys,

my television stands on my LaScala. Between them i put a sheet of steel (0,7 mm) and there were no distortion on the TV anymore

That helps.

Greetings

Dieter

------------------

Bass: Klipschorn

Mids: Fostex H220 + Fostex D221

High: Fostex T825

X : ALK

Pre : Rotel RC 995

Amp : AudioValve PPP 30

CD : NAD 520

Cine: Yamaha DSP E 1000