Cleaning Vinyl

robforst1

What does everyone use to clean their records?

I have started using a mixture of water and isopropal alcohol. It seems to work well.

I have considered buying a record cleaning machine like the Nitty Gritty or the VPI 16.5. Although, I do not know if it is worth the money.

Let me know what you think...thanks!

----------------

On 6/1/2003 9:42:24 PM robforst1 wrote:

I have started using a mixture of water and isopropal alcohol. It seems to work well.

----------------

Back when I owned vinyl I used to buy that stuff in the red bottle that cost a lot of money. It's basically what you're using now but with fancy packaging.

When the vinyl got really dusty I'd wash it with a very soft cloth using a mild soap solution under a running faucet. Worked for me.

What is best is what works for you. Of course you wouldn't want to use mineral spirits or the like but that goes without saying.

Regards,

Tony

Greetings Gentlemen,

I use a homemade concoction consisting of:

1 gallon distilled water

1 pint 91% isopropyl alcohol

30 drops Kodak PhotoFlo

Put solution into new spray bottle, spray LP while flat on clean towel, scrub with natural bristle brush (like a nail cleaning brush) repeat for other side.

Rinse in sink with tepid water, lay on more clean towels, dry thoroughly with towels, finish with air dry, put into new LP sleeves.

Cost about $2 gallon and some time, but it does a good job.

Regards,

Greg

I used the Disc Doctor kit with great success but the entire process gets old fast. So when a great deal came up not long ago a a brand new Nitty Gritty for less than half price I had to take the dive !! Its awesome Audioflynn has a VPI machine which I like better then the nitty gritty machine but they both do a great job.

Craig

I use the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid for an initial deep-cleaning and then vacuum with the Nitty Gritty. I follow this with another cleaning with a alchohol-based cleaner, again with a Disc Doctor brush, followed with another spin through the Nitty Gritty. I follow this with a distilled water rinse, again with a Disc Doctor brush, followed with a third trip through the vacuum. I then allow the LP to air-dry for about 10 min before zapping with a zero-stat.

I've developed this system over the past several years and it WORKS. IT does take about 10 min to clean a record, but you only have to do it ONCE if you take maniacal care from that point forward.

My wife refuses to let me clean records while she's home--the noise drives her BATTY, so I'm considering buying a Loricraft machine--they are QUIET and are really the best. But the damn thing costs $1500!

Alan,

I will supply the booze, the machine and the supplies. I only have about 300 LP's when you coming for a week to give them your once over treatment ? I will never have the time LOL !!

Alan what achohol based solution do you use ??

Craig

Isoproply is a no no.

I use distilled water with a little ethyl achohol.

Really grungy old LPs get thoroughly washed in the sink with cold water, a soft sponge, and mild liquid dish liquid. After throroghly rinsing with cold tap water, I rinse with distilled water, carefully damp dry, and put into a wooden dish rack for air drying.

Some LPs sound better played wet in which case I use this above mentioned solution and play on the Technics. I only play mint records dry on the MMF-7. I also have a dedicated 78 player. What is nice is that the Paragon Preamp has 3 phono inputs, perfect for my set up. Most LP labels withstand this washing process and I don't have an expensive cleaning machine and expensive solutions to keep purchasing. This method has worked fine for many years. I also repackage in new inner and outer sleeves. When finished the lowliest piece of thrift store vinyl looks like a valuable collectible.

One theory about surface noise that does not seem to wash away on old vinyl is the possibility that the antiquated saphire styli left microscopic particles imbedded in the grooves. I have not found a way to remedy this type of surface damage and am not even sure if this theory holds up, just something I have heard bandied about.

C&S