Mixing Heritage and Reference?

Iceaxe

Hi, I wonder if anyone has a good suggestion for a center speaker for a pair of Heritage Belles? I'm just entering the world of surround sound (just picked up a Denon 3803, goodbye to my trusty Carver) and I have a pair of Belles. I was thinking of getting an RC35 but would appreciate any opinions from Klipschophiles. Do Heritages match up with References? Thanks!

Ice

Welcome to the Forum.

Search the history here. This topic has been discussed a lot in the past.

The general concensus is not to mix Heritage and Reference.

A third Belle would be your best center. If this is not possible, stick with another Heritage speaker.

Use Heritage for your surrounds too.

JM

Go with a Heresy or Heresy II for a center, unless you can locate an Academy at a reasonable price. If you have the room a third Belle would be the best choice, a La Scala or Cornwall would also fit the bill. You will not be dissapointed with an all Heritage Home Theater. I had Belle's for mains until recently when I acquired a pair of Khorns. All I can say the results of putting together an all Heritage HT are well worth the efforts.

Welcome. I ran an RC3II with cornwalls and while it wasn't a perfect match, it still sounded pretty darn good (better than many matched non-klipsch systems I've heard). I have replaced it however with something like a heresy. So I agree with the above posts unless you abosolutely have no room for a big speaker in the middle and don't want to build your own.

i have had both rc 3&7 in my ht with my cornwalls, the 3 seemed to disapeer, i was NO match for the heritage, timbre was terrible, the 7 was a closer match output wise but again timbre problems, so i was lucky enough to find an single lascalla, and it was like they were made for each other, and than i found a pair of heresies, now sound moves through the listening environment, as if you were in the scene, mixing heritage and reference has the effect of sound moving in and out as you move from speaker to speaker, it is noticible, and annoying.12.gif

Many of us here have created custom centers to match. I am also using a pair of Belle's for front, & custom built a center from Heresy parts. Even though I am a poor woodcraftsman, it came out pretty good & sounds excellent. Used Heresy's can be had on EBay for about $400, so I used one for parts for the center, & then made the cabinet into a sub.

If you click on my link below, you can see the work I have done.

Frzninvt is right.... there is nothing better than an all-heritage theater.

I agree....

Custom Heritage first, Heritage second, Academey third, KLF-C7 fourth.

I sold my C-7 for a Heresy inverted. I wish I had a custom center made from heresy parts but that's too much work. If you shield the Hersey it works nice in front of an RPTV on the floor.

You should sit in the sweet spot and watch a movie in phantom mode with no center. Use that as your benchmark.