Finding Nemo

justin_tx_16

Ok, just so you know how good this movie is...

Beats Toy Story

Beats Toy Story II

Beats A Bugs Life

Beats AntZ

Beats Shrek

And yes,

Beats Monsters Inc.!

No other animated movie from Pixar or Dreamworks can compare to this movie in these categories.

Comedy

Story Line

Animation

Cleverness

Creativity

Originality

Pre-Movie Short

Double Level Humour

and that is just a few.

Watch this movie. That is about all I can say. My favorite movie of its Genre.

GO SEE IT

Thanks for mentioning the sound. There are far more scenes that will test your subwoofer in this movie than Monster's Inc. which is notorious for is amazing sound and extremely smooth and strong bass. The sound quality is utterly astounding considering this movie is targeted toward youngsters and not Matrix fans.

Make sure you get a good look at any fish if it gets out of the water. The animation there is at its finest.

Yeah, just seen it last night. It was an outstanding movie. Done very well. Just another 100% top notich movie my Disney/Pixar.

However, I do have one beef.

========================================

*SPOILER BELOW - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

*YOUR LAST WARNING*

Why did they have to have the opening scene were Nemo's mom dies? Why couldn't they have told the story a different way. Maybe mom got lost or something, she had to go help a sick relative or just not explain it at all... I dunno. I just think that death is a bit harsh of a topic for a childrens movie.

Yeah, they should have not used that scene, because after all, kids should never have to deal with death, they should grow up sheltered.

I personally didn't enjoy the movie at all, and it's not like I dislike the genre as a whole either (e.g. I really really like Toy Story, Shrek, etc.). For some reason though I didn't find this movie funny; I chuckled at like 4 parts in the movie, didn't open out laugh once. If it wasn't for the rest of my friends with me I honestly would have walked out of the theater; they really loved it though. Seems I'm in the minority.

----------------

On 6/9/2003 3:05:12 PM gtDark wrote:

Yeah, they should have not used that scene, because after all, kids should never have to deal with death, they should grow up sheltered.

----------------

I sence a hit of sarcasm. i would dissagree with your post. I feel that children get enough exposure to the negative things in life. Why add to it?

This is a response to those complaining that Nemo's mother should not have died...

While I do fear that people my age and younger are becoming desensitized by death and pain (some times for fun...) I think that where they were going with Nemo's mother dying is something that should be driven to.

Full House, one of the most popular television shows for kids my age, years ago, dealt with a family who's main characters (the 3 daughters) lost their mother while the last child was being born. The family was able to get through it all by family and friends working together to make things work. Family became friends. On the show, the youngest daughter who was born as her mother died, became very sad as she began to think that she was the cause of her mother's death. That is much worse IMHO than Nemo's mother dying, while saving her children, off camera. But, what that and this teaches children is that even when a big part of their family leaves them, be it a mother, sister, father brother, etc, life does go on. It won't be easy, it won't be fun all the time, but life does go on. Every episode had a hardship, every good had a bad, and every bad a good. If they did not carefully and sensitively show ever part of life's ups and downs, children may not have the ability to realize that they can fight on.

However, there is a point that things should never cross. When my father worked day and night shifts at Baylor College and Channel 2 News, (respectively) and my mother worked days at Borden Dairy's PR division, my brother and I had no choice but to go to a day care center, for most of the day. The teacher in charge of the day care was evil, literally. I could go on and on about the bad that she did, but not much pertains to this thread (or what this thread is turning into). One day that teacher decided that we should all watch a movie. What movie did she put in? Bambi (who's mother was killed by a hunter) no. Cinderella (who's mother died and was held as a slave in her own home, her own freedom taken away from her) no. Snow White (who was nearly murdered by an evil witch) no. The Sword in the Stone (who's main character was also held as a slave, called a "wart" and made to work for his foster "parents" who treated him like dirt) no. The Lion King had not been released yet (its main character betrayed his father, leading to his father's death by the hand of his brother. All this done in front of the son) no. We watched Terminator 1. Mind you, all of the previous movies are G, this is an R rated movie.

After watching that movie, before I was even in preschool, did I become a senseless "bad kid"? No, not really. I got into trouble a few times but over all I think I came out pretty darn well!

I don't think that children should have to be in the position I was in that day, or any of the days at that place. But look at the other movies I wrote of. All were at least equally bad in that respect to Finding Nemo. Some worse.

Just think about it. At least this one was not made to look like real people like some of those, obviously they are fish and we are not fish. If you kids can't put that together... hehe. Joking of course. Hey, when I was in kindergarten and my brother was in first grade, our teachers told my parents that we would be lucky to pass each year, don't even plan for college. Well look at us now!

several years later my 5th grade teacher said I would never be able to read or write because I read and wrote upside down. Well, just FYI missy, I read and translated Virgil's Aeneid last year, right side up no less! LoL! That is translating the Aenied from Latin to English. Right now I am working on Dante's Inferno. read it and weep Mrs. O'Connor.

I've seen the mother's death compared to Bambi, for showing how devastating nature can be. I think it could be confusing to children because the animals have human characteristics.

I thought the movie was excellent. The shadows required to render all the underwater stuff - that's amazing. I might have been in a crappy theater but the sound wasn't impressive to me.

----------------

On 6/18/2003 1:12:08 PM synthfreek wrote:

So I guess Nemo's mother dies huh? May I suggest simple ***SPOILERS*** alert next time?

----------------

read earlier in the thread... we DID warn you.

quote...

*SPOILER BELOW - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

*YOUR LAST WARNING*

• 2 weeks later...

My kids took me to "Nemo" for Father's Day...OK so I took them. I loved the movie...not sure I would agree w/ Justin that it's THE best of it's genre...but great just the same.

I do agree w/ Justin regarding the mother dying...no more sad than Bambi or Dumbo (I still get choked up watching Dumbo!). I think I was more upset than my 5 and 3 year old. If you eliminate or change that scene...you can't relate to Nemo's Father...it's absolutely critical to the main plot and character development of both Nemo and his Father. In the end you see how the relationships works out for Nemo and his Father, and how they have a great life together. It's reassuring that life goes on...even after a great tragedy...a valuable lesson at any age.

Dave