The Best Universal Remote?

itchywoods

You're probably going to see a barage of responses crying "Pronto!" by Philips. I recently acquired one, and it is terrific. You have virtually complete programming capability (via the pc-based ProntoEdit program), with the ability to create long macros if you want, put channel logos and other bitmaps on the touchscreen, and customize every button (and create any kind of button you want via the touchscreen). Plus, the whole thing is backlight. I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree. Pronto looks awesome. I can't get my A/V receiver to recognize my DVD player. Wrong codes or something. Only problem with pronto is that I could go buy a new DVD player that is the same brand as my rcvr for less than a Pronto.

Great remote but a bit steep on the price. Probably worth it though if you have a lot of mixed components.

MM

I think the real strength of the Pronto lies not in its ability to consolidate a bunch of remotes into one, but in its ability to be almost totally programmed any way you want it. It has allowed me to put just a few touchscreen buttons on the main screen that will, with one touch, turn on all the appropriate components for watching a DVD (or the VCR) and dim the lights. I can also put pictures (bitmaps) of my favorite radio/TV stations for easy access. The buttons can be made to say anything you want them to, so you don't have to wonder what a certain button does when you are in TV mode versus what it does in VCR mode.

In short, it allows you to simplify operation of your HT for yourself, and other loved ones who might otherwise divorce you (kidding about the divorce part).

This may be a stupid question, but can you use the pronto for two systems? In other words, can I set it up for both my HT system in the living room and my two channel only system in the bedroom, and then just carry it back and forth? After all, I'm never listening to both at the same time!

Oh, and how big is this thing?

Josh,

YES! You can set it up with custom pages for each, and every, room/system in your home. You can even put in a floorplan of your home and set it up so that pressing on a room takes you to the control pages for that room... very cool, indeed!

A Pronto is about the size of a Mindspring organizer, but thicker (like two stacked).

Ross

DTune - I take it you don't have an existing remote for the sign that the Pronto could learn from, right? (Wow, a sign with a remote control?? What would the remote do besides just turn it on and off?).

You could search the forums/files at www.remotecentral.com under the Pronto section and see if anyone knows anything about that. Often, owners will post the IR codes for devices they have loaded into the Pronto.