Updating 73' khorns bass output

gto6

Hello people! My last post was quite some time ago, I moved and did alot of renovating which included a home theater and a seperate listening room just for my audio setup, oh yeah, and a new kitchen.......I want to improve the bottom end of my khorns. They are not as tight and pronounced as I'd like them. They are all original except for new wiring. I used AudioQuest wires. I drive them with a pair MC30 Mcintosh amps. Has anybody changed thier drivers. What did you use. Will the ALK crossover's make a big difference? Thanks.....Mark

Do you have your k-horns sealed to your walls properly? A real snug tight fit will definitly give you better bass. My 84 k-horns never came with the tail piece seals. I used the foam pipe covering(INSULATION) used to cover water pipes, I think it was the 3/8 inch size.It slipes right over the back tail pieces and works great, you dont even need to use any glue or anything.This tweek improved the bass a lot, I coulnt believe the difference.Other people make there seals out of the seals that go around car doors, but you will most likly have to glue and staple it to the tail pieces of your k-horns.The pipe insulation IS real cheep about 3 bucks for 4 pieces that are 3 foot long, enough to do both of your k-horns tail pieces.Just a tweek you could try if your k-horns are not sealed to your walls.

It may be that the change in the room hurt the bass a bit. The K-Horns do rely on room boost. The new room could be causing a bit more mid and treble too.

Getting a good seal is always a good idea.

Al K.s crossovers use a single inductor as the bass low pass filter. This is the way it was with the Type A crossovers. Later ones used a capacitor too. Paul Klipsch once wrote that he would bypass the single inductor and "It is worth a couple of dB." So there are many possibilities out there.

One of several things good about Al.K.'s design is that you can adjust the level of the midrange, including cutting it down. This might be the answer you're looking for. People like them a lot. I've used a variation on the design in a home built project, with good results.

Gil

I don't own klipschorns... My klipsch are Lascalas.

But I have to say that for me the most important thing to get tight, defined, "jumping" strong bass is choosing the right amp!!! I'm now perfectly happy with my little Musical Fidelity amp. This little thing kicks ***! And i tried various different amps. Not sure tube amps are the best for strong tight bass...

Thanks for the fast replies. I'm sealed pretty good in the corners. The owners manual that came with the speakers said to use automobile floor mats cut into strips stapled to the back flange. I may try the pipe insulation. That sounds like it may do a better job. The old room they were in had a carpet on the floor. The new room has ceramic tile. That may have something to do with it. I may add some area rugs to try to soak up some of the reflecting........thanks again.......has anybody changed their 15" drivers? What did you use.

Mark

If those k-horns are on hard floor you need grippers on the bottom,,,do a search under grippers ..HDBR ...andy...has some advice on this...also click on my profile and look up grippers.Andy said they went to a house and set up some k-horns once with grippers,good seals and Paul came by and gave a listen...he said thats the way they are suppose to sound.....you can get grippers at wal-mart they use to have several sizes i looked other day and now they only have one size not sure why...make sure it says grippers.they really hooked up my Scalas and then i got a HK430 and wow.......rick

Al K uses a good solid gauge Solen bass coil, but increasing the gauge will help your bass even more. Using no coil will not help from my experience.

Try a 12-14ga. SOLID wire 2.5mH (Solen) choke (they're big), so you might want to mount it on a separate board. You must replace your current coil, so you have only one in series with the woofer. Use no metal screws to fasten the coil itself, it will mess up inductance.

This is surprisingly effective way to increase bass, as well as tighten it.

Good luck!

-Ken

(6) Khorns

LaScala's

Belle's

Cornwall's

GMX Pro-media