Khorn questions

White01L

What price range would I expect to pay for a pair of 20-25 year old Khorns? I haven't seen or heard them but I expect that they are in average cosmetic condition and in working condition. Anything I should look for, i.e. how do I identify an ALK crossover, original driver identification. I will know more about the age after I read the serial numbers.

Second question, is regarding placing Khorns in the corners of a room along a 16' wall, I know it is not optimal, but how bad would it be?

I am using a pair of '73 heresy speakers in that room as my surround speakers, would the Khorns be overpowering as the mains? Currently I am using a pair of (please don't hit me) Series 2 Bose 901's as the mains and with mt HT receiver I am able to balance the sound adequately.

I only ask these because I know that you all are much more knowledgable regarding these matters than anyone else I could ask.

Proud owner of 1972 KWP Belle's and and 1973 Heresy's. Before you ask, the Belle's are used in the 2-channel system in my den.

White-

I'd say if they were in good/better condition, if you can walk away with them for $1800 or so, it will be a good deal. I bought my '68s in April for $1600 and they are in excellent condition. I am not as familiar with the drivers on the later models, but if you get a pair of horns that are 25 yr old, you have a good chance of them having the Alnico magnets. Check here in this forum as there is a post about how to ID those magnets.

As far as things to look for, be sure as they are playing (you will audition before you buy??), place your ear right up close to the tweeter and squawker to see if they are any problems there. Poke around inside the top cabinet and see how the components look. I don't know if there are any distinguishing characteristics for the ALK x-overs, but they should look much newer than a stock x-over. I think you would see Type AA x-overs for that range of years, but I may be wrong.

As far as room placement, I have my Khorns placed in the corners of a 16' wall and they sound great. I have radiator heat, so they are not snug in the corners, so I'll probably build some false corners and that way, I can direct the sweet spot to wherever I want it. Edster here on the board has done the same thing and they sound great.

An all Heritage HT will be incredible! Your receiver should be able to set the levels for all the speakers so you would most likely adjust them down from where the Bose are now. But you will notice a difference with the K-horns over the 901s. I'm sure you've seen all the phrases for Bose.

Post more info when you get it, and pics too, as the folks here love to "high-five" new K-horn (or any speaker) additions. I'm sure other folks will be able to add more technical knowledge than I have listed here. Good luck!

White,

What are the other dimensions of your room?

Just about always, except maybe with extremely old cases, the crossover will be clearly labeled in back, Type A, AA, AK2, or whatever. So you don't have to figure anything out except read the designation!

Khorns would not overpower Heresies used as surrounds. But you will have to adjust the volumes to compensate. You wouldn't want the same amount of power going into all of them because the Khorns are much more efficient and in that case they would overpower the Heresies.

The room is kind of odd shaped because of an entry door on the back and side of the room. The common wall against which the Khrons would sit is as I said 16', the long side wall which would be against the outside of the right channel speaker is 30', the short side wall would be against the outside of the left channel speaker is 21'. The surrounds are placed at this point, 21' back from the front wall. The offset for the entry door protrudes 4' into the left side of the back of the room and is 9' deep.

I hope this gives a fair idea of the shape of the room.

Now if I get these Khorns, I will have to come up with a suitable center channel speaker (or just use the phantom mode).

Telarc has some good info on multi channel speaker placement as recommended for SACD, for instance.

http://www.telarc.com/surround/sacd.asp?mscssid=6M63SUA0KQSR2PA90G05AFURQNF112J1#diagram1

One of the main reasons I have my Khorns in false corners is so that I could bring them forward a little to make an arc with my Belle center.

Can you use one of your Belles as a center or is it doing duty elsewhere?

I prefer a real center speaker over a phantom one.

O yeah, they are mine!!! 1983 models with AK's (good or not so good). I will post pictures as soon as I get them moved. They sound fine and look good for '83 models. I may need some assistance in determining the finish, because the paper tag is gone but the serial number 20Y***** clearly identify them as '83. They appear to be wired with some pretty heavy gauge wire, any ideas on what went into '83's from Hope?

I am pumped. I will pick them up as soon as some week day comes that doesn't threaten rain. They are going for a fifty mile ride in my pickup, and then you get pictures.

And lets be carefull about diss'ing Bose, I have been really enjoying the early 70's model 901's (series 2) I have (with sub of course). I just watched Die another Day, sounds good, these Khorns better be DAMN good!!! I do know that the new satelite stuff from Bose leaves a great deal to be desired, I tried to use the acoustimass stuff for surrounds with the 901's and Promptly sent the stuff back to the retailer for a full refund. So in my opinion right now the old bose 901's are fine but the new stuff is not so good.

But hey the bottom line is now I am very proud owner of Khorns, Belles, and Heresy. May have to watch for Cornwall's now :-).

But I will need to get back to work someday, unemployment only lasts so long.

OK I will shut up now. thanks to all for there assistance in this forum.

You have no idea! Just wait until those Khorns are in place in your HT and watch Die another Day again. You will hear things that I am absolutely certain you did not hear with those vintage 901's. The Khorns are gonna make those 901's sound like someone threw a heavy blanket over each one of them, 9 full range drivers, a compensation equalizer, and the efficiency of a rock - yuk! The heavy gauge wire that they are wired with came from the factory. You are certainly in for a treat! 9.gif

White

Excelent find.

MY Khorns are '83. They came stock with Monster cable to all drivers. They have the aluminum K400 horn which you probably will want to dampen since it does ring. I used the stock AK crossover up until a year ago replacing them with the ALK. It was probably the best money I spent on my equipment in years.

As for the center, I tried phantom and using Heresys in betweent he Khorns, I did not like either option. The HT really came alive when I put another K400 squawker in my custom center. Your best option is to find a single LAS or Belle to use as a center.

JM

White, yer in for a treat! My '79 Khorns are 21' apart and I would surely be better off with a room like yours. My original x-over was the AA and the upgrade to ALKs was also one of my best and most noticable upgrades (other than going from SS to the tubed Scott 222D).

I do remember hearing the 901s in the 70s at a party and thinking that they do sound really good for their size, but I did not get my Khorns for another almost decade. Nothing sounded as good as the Khorns to me.

Congrats!

Friggin awesome sounding 2-channel sound. Been "going to Atlanta" with little feet all afternoon and a couple of ppitchers of margarita's. I have no idea about the finish, paper tag is missing, so if any of you would care to comment, I wouldn't mind.

post-10748-13819247758304_thumb.jpg

At a guess I would say Walnut, but the grain looks different and maybe a little lighter. They are in stunning condition though! The B type models as well, my favorite! I love the look with the spacer in between the horn sections. I see the nick nacks and adornments have already made their way to the tops. My '88's have lots of things on them as well. Just wait till you put them in HT mode and watch Die Another Day again. I just love my Heritage speakers! In the words of MC Hammer "You can't touch this" nothing much comes close to an all Heritage HT. 9.gif

• 1 year later...

Just a follow up. I am so pleased with the Khorns I can't even begin to describe.

I still have the 901's, they aren't being used as speakers though, have a cloth over the two of them. They are serving as lamp stands in the den (the belle's are doing two channel duty in that room). Perhaps some day I will set up another two channel in the basement and move the 901's down there.

Many thanks to all on this forum and for all of the information I have gained.