Whats the best 5ar4 tube for a scott 299a

arfz28

I am running an original amprex 5ar4 tube in my scott 299a amp, I would like to have a replacement ready incase it goes out.Hell its lasted 40 years and is still test strong it might outlast me, LOL. What is everyones opinion on what tube to get? I see sovteks as cheep as 15 bucks but I hear they aint as good as the nos old tubes. I hear the mullard is a good tube too.Whats everybody running in there 299a and 299b scotts? ANYBODY ever do any 5ar4 tube rolling is there a difference in sound? THANKS ALL.

Chris,

Your talking about the difference in a very simple SET amp where every part changed can make some sonic difference. But in a Scott 299 a Mullard or whatever will have absolutely no sonic benefit if the proper voltages are applied. Also when changing from one type of rectifier to another completely different type say GZ34 to GZ37 your changing the complete operating range of every component in the amp and is hardly a fair comparison of one rectifier to another. Saying rectifiers makes a difference on your amp is probably a true statement no denying that but were not talking about your amps here.

arfz28,

The difference between your Amperex and say a Sovtek will be simply the longevity of the tube and who is to say the current version of the Sovtek won't last like the Mullards ? I have pushed them very hard in my own amps and have found no signs of failure at all. But when you weigh in $12 for a Sovtek to $50+ for a Mullard its pretty apparent where I would spend my money ! You will hear no sonic difference WITH YOUR AMP what so ever.

Craig

PS edited this post I really pouched the spelling on this one 1.gif

Thanks for the replys on the 5ar4 tubes. If there is not much if any difference in the sound of the 5ar4 tubes, being the tight a$$ that I am I will probably just buy a sovtek to have an extra 5ar4 around, also I will be able too campare it to the amprex.Those mullars go for about 50 to 60 bucks, ouch.

Anybody running or know about how good and reliable those JJ TULSA tubes are? They seem to have a cheep price tag on them, about 15 bucks.

What about a GROOVE TUBE 5ar4 BIN on e bay for 13 bucks are those GROOVE TUBES any good?

The Mullards go pretty cheap on E-Bay if you watch closely and don't drive the price up. I've bought 6 or 7 and paid less than ~$25 for all of them. Don't know if they sound any better, but it's kinda like wearing thong underwear, I just feel better knowing they're there.

Keith

talktoKeith,

I just love that analogy !! Hey if you find a Mullard that cheap why not. But there is another point to be made if current production tube manufacturer's do not sell tubes when the NOS tube supply runs out which it WILL we will all be back to SS so support the current manufacturers when the tube will do the same job is my motto !! I want to still be using tubes 50 years from now !! Well if I'm still here 1.gif

Mace,

I just did a complete 180 the only rectifier to buy is a Mullard ! Everything else is junk !! 2.gif

Craig