Will 6 hours of karaoke hurt anything?

iDunno

I am asian, and so are my relatives of course.

And as many of you might now, asians like karaoke...

So my uncle had a party today and they karaoked from 4 until 12 midnight.

So my question is that will this continuous play of -30db on the kenwood receiver and the klipsch sf-3 speakers hurt or burn out anything if they do it again? Also they also have a set of old generic speakers that are hooked up to the b speaker slot on the kenwood so they told me to turn on all 2 pairs of speakers, will this cause more damage to the receiver? Please note they also play at very high levels.

I can also hear the horn tweeters distort at high levels of vocals, will this burn the tweeter after long periods of karaoke?

Ok thanks.

In summary, my question is, will high levels and long periods of high level vocal singing cause damage to any horn tweeters or amplifers (please note that the kenwood is driving 2 pairs of speakers).

Thanks

(ok, my uncle was a former bose fan then i went to him and told him the truth about bose, so they dont know much about audio so they asked me for help with buying speakers, and of course i told them klipsch, so i dont want them to get back to me when there klipsch horn tweeters are gonna burn out cuz of high levels of vocals.)

Tell your uncle to shout less in the mic and all should be A ok. LOL

If the receiver becomes hot just turn the talent gain knob to +12dB,if this fails take the mic away from the worst immitators.

If Silicone Spears can sing ANYBODY can sing,if the Backdoor Boys can sing even the least talented can sing.

On a more serious note if you hear any distortion just turn down the volume a bit.

----------------

On 6/8/2003 10:19:15 AM iDunno wrote:

Ok,

is it better to turn down the gain and turn up the amp or turn up the gain and turn down the amp, i found out that when you turn the gain up, the amp starts clippin and causes distortion.

----------------

Yes, it is much better to turn down the gain and turn up the amp.

It is an interesting question.

I've never seen any data to suggest that there are cumulative effects of driving an amplifier or speaker at high levels. Of course, the danger is that one is testing the limits of where some catastrophic breakdown will occur. So, be careful.

On the other hand . . . Driving the speaker hard will heat up the voice coil. It is electrically insulated with some sort of enamel and wound on a former (which is a tube made out of a piece of cardboard or thin synthetic material). I'd think that the enamel or former could suffer some cumulative distruction when pushed to near their limits.

There is a potential mechanical limit too. PWK once voiced some concern after doing post mortems on components. (I'm not quite certain of his conclusions, and naturally any generalization would be misleading in a specific circumstance.) If there is a cumulative breakdown, it could be because of the voice coil insulation or former getting softened or mechanically distorted.

The other case is where the voice coil is hit with a lot of current which quickly melts the winding. Or the resulting force damages the physical structure. The T-Rex track of a Telarc CD caused the failure of one of my high power woofers with a low power amp. I burnt a tweeter with a test tone inadvertently fed to it.

Essentially, I don't think there are cumulative effects within reason. However, if you beat anything near to death three times, it is probably going to die on the fourth try. Smile.

Gil

Just be careful not to over saturise the incoming signal into the mic/over screaming so you clip the signal. A good Karaoke machine will help you, then take the output into your speakers. Besides, too much of a signal will harm your equipment and yes your speakers. A good compressor/limiter might help you save hundreds in equipment if your going to do this regularly. (Alesis electronics has one for about 89 USA dollars.)Otherwise, have fun!!

As a Klipsch BB Junkie... Also someone who uses Klipsch heritage speakers..(Cornwalls and Hereseys) with his own Karaoke set up, I thought this might be a good time to join in. Excuse me if this is long, I wanted to allow you to know/try to understand maybe a side of me some of you do not know.. If you do not care.. skip this post. Personally, I like reading where all of you on the BB come from with reguards to opinions on yours and others systems and likes dislikes. Here is mine.

============================================================

For those that stayed, Thanks!!

First some background, I have been singing my whole life both in school ensembles, churches, with state winning show choir, and also with a prestigious university, Indiana University's Singing Hoosiers..(We have been on many Disney CD's, people from this group have done Opera at the MET in NYC and yes even in some musical shows even now on Broadway.) Singing Hoosiers tour internationally, sold awrd GRAMMY winning CD's and many say IU is in the top 3 if not THE top Music School in the USA for orchestra/symphony, Opera and Voice. It is an incredible environment to be in.

I have also sung with symphony's singing "serious music" both as a soloist and in the Chorale. While in college, after some semi attempts in HS to do the same, I started a band... (The 80's were an incredible time to have fun in a band. John "Cougar" Mellencamp/ Huey Lewis/ Tom Petty/ The Cars/ The Producers..etc., along with the flavor of the week...LOL..) Karaoke was the farthest thing anyone who supposedly was a "real singer," would ever say is cool.. Let alone do it out with strangers, friends and or for some a group of peers and suck at it.

(FYI, you may wonder why people who are really good singers say famous or in a "local band" never sing karaoke... Most of the time they just suck at it! The timing may be off, they do not have their guitar to hide behind, or many other helpful live musician factors, digital effects, etc.) Think how many times an updated "new" cover of an older song either comes across as better than the original by a new generation, only to have the older "purists" say it is way worse than how they remember it. LOL Or, it is just terrible. Today's karaoke discs if you buy the right ones ... musically, sometimes even with the background vocals, (while re performed by studio musicians)... Sound as good as the originals down to the last guitar lick or snap of the snare. Most of you probably have heard terrible versions of songs on a karaoke machine much like a cover band butchering it too.... And already find it hard to believe it is possible.. trust me it is.

I will borrow this statement from a friend, her name is Karen, who was made famous in Indiana as a KJ, that's "Karaoke Jockey" for the uninitiated. LOL She also sings professionally in a band here in Indy and in Chicago. www.karenoke.com

In her words: Why this Gemini chick with "adhd" started karenoke?

Everyone can sing

As humans, most of us have been blessed with a voice

One which allows us to communicate and laugh and cry

And sing

But we are taught that certain people are special

And deserve the right to sing because their voice is better

Or prettier

And we support those elite few by giving them money

And singing along with them in our cars

Or our showers

Or sometimes walking down the street

Because we are moved by them

Until we catch the next car over staring

And having been caught

Silence ourselves

Now I'm not saying there isn't brilliance of talent in the universe

Artists

Voices that can touch millions and move us to sing along in our cars

Or our showers

All I'm saying is we each have an inherent need for self expression

And insecurity and fear and this elitist mentality

Prevent us every day from discovering the great works of art

That are most definitely hiding within

With a little luck

Some humor

A smart-*** DJ

And maybe a wee bit of alcohol

Together we can create a non-threatening environment

Where we can all feel comfortable enough

To find our own voice.

I guess like a lot of people.. you either get it.. or you don't. It's just about having fun. You, the audience, and your interpretation. It is not about 20 shots of tequilas way off key singing Freebird, or forbid if your a woman... The Rose... Two Karaoke songs I wish would die... LOL.

Karaoke is about your interpretation. People who are everyday people with everyday jobs/lives/ families with other commitments just wanting to get into it and share a favorite song that they choose to share with you. But even more important, are you having fun, so we can also do the same with you. As a caveat, I will stop here....people who take themselves wayyy too serious... are also terrible to watch karaoke wise. This usually happens at karaoke contests where people tend to really want win some cash or a prize decided by judges that are not always qualified or judges not voting fairly based on who the bar owner wanted to win. They get really bent out of shape. When you have fun, you can win NBA, NFL, baseball tickets, cash in the hundreds and had a ball doing it too, as I have. So sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, it is just for me.. to have fun out on the town. I go out about 1 to 2 times a month thats enough for me, although I sing at home all the time.

Remember Elvis was Elvis, there isn't another one like him... So shake your hips and feel free to copy the leg thing, the lip, and his voice too.. Have fun with it...after your done... Relax and come back as yourself... hahahaha. One thing I find interesting is some of the best singers at karaoke do not look like the "beautiful people/ artists." So body height, size, looks or the lack of... when you close your eyes...it is the music that counts, just like in the real world. (Well, it used to...LOL.) And thank goodness.

BTW, I have a "killer" home karaoke system. To spare you all the full details, I even have can lights, effect lights, all on lighting racks and a professional road case that has a 16 channel Mackie Mixing board, Mackie amps, Klipsch Professional line monitors and great Shure mics through multiple effects. I have the music part play through a pair of Cornwalls, and "vocals only" through a pair of Heresy's. It sounds better than 99% of any systems I have heard out at the bars... In my mind, I get to sing along with artists and groups songs I like. When we have parties, people really can relax and do whatever song they always wanted to try. Young and old. My "musician friends" bring over guitars, keyboards, etc., and I plug em all in. Sometimes it is live music, sometimes it is mixed,,,, It doesn't matter.

Hopefully what you got out of this post is Karaoke can be fun. I do not take it, or myself, seriously when it comes to singing Karaoke. Most of the people are also fun everyday successful people too. Doctors, Lawyers, Stone Masons, Truck Drivers, Moms, Dads, Singles, it doesn't matter. We all get our name announced, time in the spotlight , sing and applause afterwards. If your really good you also get people after a while that ask you to sing a particular song they have enjoyed you do or are known as ____ Were not looking to get record contracts, just having a great time! So maybe, if you have not yet, you can try it someday yourself too.

Trust me, if a 41 yr. old man can re discover how much fun it is to sing...You might just find your own voice too!