T2:Extreme DVD HighDef

justin_tx_16

Bought this today. Here are the sys requirments to play it...

WinXP

Media Player 9

512mb RAM

128mb video

24/96 audio (5.1)

3Ghz processor

1600x1200 or greater res

56K modem connection

I beat it in:

WinXP Pro

Ram=2Gb (4 times requirement)

Video=256 (2 times requirement)

Audio=24/192 (twice frequency requirement)

CPU=3.08 (80mhz greater than requirement)

Monitor=1856x1392 (1.16 times requirement)

Internet=3mbps (approx 100 times requirement)

So what does this all add up to? One heck of an experience! Makes sense now why a lot of people are beginning to use a computer as the source of their entertainment. HD-DVD's work only on the system stated at the top, but look especially nice on the one I have 1.gif I am just into the intro of the movie, so let me watch it hehe. So far I must say I am impressed, the picture and the sound are truly top notch.

Sorry to spoil your party but...

"Bought this today. Here are the sys requirments to play it...

WinXP

Media Player 9

512mb RAM

128mb video

24/96 audio (5.1)

3Ghz processor

1600x1200 or greater res

56K modem connection

I beat it in:

WinXP Pro

Ram=2Gb (4 times requirement)

Video=256 (2 times requirement)

Audio=24/192 (twice frequency requirement)

CPU=3.08 (80mhz greater than requirement)

Monitor=1856x1392 (1.16 times requirement)

Internet=3mbps (approx 100 times requirement)"

All the power you have and... here is where I surpass you...

2GB of Corsair XMS PC3500 CAS 2 memory(4 x 512)fastest memory around

P4 2.4@ 3.150GHz(100% stable and stock voltage!)on ASUS P4G8X Deluxe PS can run the CPU @ 3.6GHz at 1.7V stable,dont like to push too much.

Sony F500(2048 x 1536)

9.gif

And to end ...who really cares.But yes this true high definition Terminator 2 is AMAZING.The visuals put ALL other movies to shame,visuals here are the new standard in resolution and detail.Quite a show

This is what high def is really all about

----------------

On 6/8/2003 9:47:03 AM TheEAR wrote:

Sorry to spoil your party but...

----------------

This was never a contest. There are people out there that would blow away your system, like my dad's. But I don't think many people have a computer system that cost more than some houses. His is for video editing.

Justin, your dad ever use anything like Amega's Video Toaster? I remember seeing that about 10 years ago. That think was very impressive.

Oh and doesn't the new DVD play in a regular DVD player to watch it on your home theater?

As far as the processor requirements go, do you think it'd run on a system with dual 1.7 Mhz chips? Everything else is not a problem, that's all that concerns me. I'd really like to check that out, but don't want to buy it if I can't run it on my PC. (Already got the Ultimate Edidion)

"do you think it'd run on a system with dual 1.7 Mhz chips?"

I will run,very high pobability it will not be smooth.I tried on my second PC an Athlon 3200XP ran A ok,on my old 900 AThlon it was choppy as hell.

Anyone with anyting under 2000XP or P4 2.26 should stay away,slowdown is obvious.

----------------

On 6/8/2003 4:12:45 PM TheEAR wrote:

"There are people out there that would blow away your system, like my dad's."

Specs please

SGI and a few other workstations are grosly overpriced because of the rarity of application specific machines.

----------------

it is a new Avid that does just about everymedium, only no film.

JZ

I bet your 1.7's will do the job.

Especially if you have a newer video card and PCI buss. I bet the 3G processor is only running 5-10% while playing a movie.

OPPS - Forgot this was crappy XP. Give me a few days, I'll find a display engine that will run on Unix that will most likly work on a 1G cpu on a 133 buss.1.gif

I got to start working on my HDPC. Next winter for sure.

JM

"Give me a few days, I'll find a display engine that will run on Unix that will most likly work on a 1G cpu on a 133 buss."

I give you a full month.1.gif And it will not run smooth on a 1GHz be it an Athlon,P3 or any known PC around 1GHz.

"Yeah but with multi threading on dual chips I"

The software would have to be multi-threaded. Since video playing is so linear. I doubt dual processors would have any effect. The software probably isn't set up to use multi-threading for movie playing (This is for Window Media Player right?)

-MKL

• Like 1

----------------

On 6/9/2003 11:17:16 AM mkl wrote:

(This is for Window Media Player right?)

-MKL

----------------

yes and no, it is Windows Media 9 media but you play it on a special DVD software that comes with the DVD, you can only use their software to play it.

Justin forgot to mention you also need DirectX 9, which most of you probably have anyway with your latest videocard. I couldn't get anywhere with it however until I downloaded it. My Pentium 3 PC still isn't powerful enough to run the HD version at anything more than super slow motion and with several dropped frames.

So I'll wait on attempting it again until such time that I have the right equipment.

Disc 1 however will run fine on any PC and DVD player and the video quality on that one is pretty darn good also. It's also really cool to listen to James Cameron and William Wisher's(?) audio commentary. Very informative and even funny when he gives some of his recollections and even a couple remarks about the upcoming T3 by another director.

Justin, with all the cool specs your PC has and the money your family apparently has, you oughta connect it to a 50+" plasma or high-end RP and enjoy all that DVD is capable of.

Watching it on a 20" PC monitor or even a small LCD would be a waste for that DVD and simply not do it justice.

Anyway, it sure must be nice to be Justin_TX.

My mother has a plasma she uses when she does shows on the road but it is at her office, probably tuned to HGTV or the FoodNetwork haha. I have a MITS Pro monitor I "borrowed" from my dad's old AVID. It is capable of things you would just not beleive hehe. For college I just picked up a Samsung 191T, working out great thus far.

It is nice to be me I guess, but a lot of bad comes with it. The better one thing gets, the worse another. For instance, my health... BUt let's not dwell on that.

I hope you got over that health problem you had a while back that you picked up from someone at school. A bad virus or infection or something that was going around school a few months ago. Hope you get better soon.

Also, spending too much time at the PC will sap your strength and late night net surfing and gaming will deprive you of the proper amount of sleep to strengthen your immune system. Sleep deprivation and fatigue weakens the immune system and everything else. I should know; been there and done that too much myself. I've since cut back.

----------------

On 6/11/2003 8:01:26 PM Marshal wrote:

I hope you got over that health problem you had a while back that you picked up from someone at school.

----------------

Oh, that was over once I got some good medication. What I was referring to has no cure and I was born with it. Nothing to blame it on except heredity 3.gif