Speaker placement

Geo1

I'm really starting to think seriously about some heritage speakers for two channel listening. Can someone tell me what the best placement is for Forte, Cornwall, Chorus and Heresy. In other words, how far from side walls and rear walls? I know that Khorns, La Scalas and Belles need a corner. TIA

Cornwalls IMO sound better in a corner. The use of the 2 walls adds bass. They sound great just about anywhere though. I would guess that would be true for Fortes and Chorus' as well. I can't speak for Belles or Lascalas which were designed so you wouldn't need a corner like the Khorns.

Belles and Scalas benefit from corner placement because of their limited low frequency response. That, combined with the bristling transients -- tends to make the treble sound tipped up in relationship to the bass (when pulled out from the corners). At the very least, the backs should be against the wall.

OTOH, an acoustically 'dead' room, with thick carpet, lots of cushy furniture, and drapes galore -- might allow some options with placement other than mentioned above.

The real benefit of corner placement comes from uniform room coverage of the sound. Typically, the 1st order reflections do not reach the ear until late. These are the ones that screw with the timing signature of the material.

I believe the Chorus and Forte use passive radiators -- those WILL have to pulled out from the wall some. I believe a foot or so would do nicely

----------------

On 6/14/2003 5:42:54 PM Geo1 wrote:

That was my main concern with the Forte's--too close to the rear wall with the 15" passive radiator and the bass is liable to get real muddy.

----------------

That's what playing around with placement is for. It's like moving furniture without the wife. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find the right spot.

----------------

That's what playing around with placement is for. It's like moving furniture without the wife. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find the right spot.

----------------

I was just thinking of something a little more devious, heh heh. My wife just flew out for two weeks in Europea rare opportunity to accomplish something without prior approval... like a renovation of the listening room! I have a large, square, paneled basement room. Not ideal, but it has potential. The combination of being square and the horrible acoustical properties of the paneling are the problem. Making a partition to change the shape to rectangular by the golden meanand replacing the paneling with sheetrock, and running dedicated circuits, is what I'm thinking. And new carpet... this is so tempting. 11.gif

I started a thread a few months ago about Cornwall placement and I have spent a few months with different placement in my room.

OPTIONS:

Corner:

I have put them in corners toed just like a Klipschorn and sit closer to the speakers that they are wide...I think this is one recommended setup...it could also be done on the long wall of a rectangular room.

I have also tried them in the corners but with seating in an equalateral triangle.

Corner placement notablly boosts the bass and makes the sound richer, however I think it hurts the imaging...especially the debth. The worse thing about corner placement is in combination with HT and a RPTV where the mains are too far back behind the center...even worse for multi-channel music where the mains are supposed to be equadistant from the listener as the center thus a little forward.

2.5-3' from each wall (back and side). Equalateral triangle or slightly farther back.

This is ideal for HT and Multi-channel music but I miss the bass until I turn on the subwoofer. I find the imaging more enjoyable in this setup.

For HT I clearly like the speakers pulled forward. For music I go back and forth and I think I like the corners (or at least a wall) better for the reasons mentioned by Dean....bass improvement and preception of less bright.

I agree totally for HT. I have a 13x23 room with the cornwalls on the long wall. For HT I have them about 12ft apart, 2 feet from the wall and toed in. For music I prefer the corners but other stuff is in the corners so I keep the same placement and just move them back to the wall (still toed in). I still get good imaging that way. My guess is bass won't be an issue since I will have a sub ready if necessary.