Dynaco Stereo 400 to drive Cornwalls?

BigBusa

----------------

On 6/18/2003 12:03:32 PM Triode Pete wrote:

When you want to hear MUSIC, close to the real thing, but still an illusion, ...

When you want to hear special effects, that incredible hi-fi sound (that imitates PA sounds)...

16.gif

----------------

The two important points are:

still an illusion and that incredible hi-fi sound...

All recordings are an illusion of the actual performance no matter what is used, tube or SS, to play them back.

To PWK he was looking to the best Hi-Fi "sound." The goal is to have no "sound." An Engineer is trying for the closest to reality - the Engineer is limited to the equipment he or she has to use, the consumer has more choice for playback equipment that suits his or her desires/perceptions/hearing and choice of music. Money/equipment costs alone do not dictate the played back sound to be correct and perfect.

What is one mans trash.....

Tube or SS - it's a subjective topic, medium and enjoyment. To others it's brand x of speaker or that huge Klipsch-Horn. No one person can dictate what type of equipment to use. It is a CHOICE of what one likes and if an open mind is kept, one has room for tube and solid state - they are both trying to reproduce what is recorded and somewhere along the way from recording to pressing or burning, you will find both have been used. There is no black or white only thousands of shades of grey or shall I spell it gray.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big Busa - I prefer Audiophool. I enjoyed "stirring the pot" with the ridiculous debate going on. The bottom line is, just enjoy what you like (SS or tubes) & enjoy the music. I've noticed that you tend to "crank up" people at the Audio Asylum...please don't do it here since this is a fun forum.

Tom Brennan - I thought you sold all your low-fi equipment and got out of the audio hobby? I see you still have your pro-solid sand bias...maybe you were stung by the B+ of a tube amp and never recovered. Based on your past history of experiencing extremely loud SPL's, I doubt that your "hearing is up to snuff". I thought you preferred ALTEC & didn't like KLIPSCH?

Everyone, have fun & enjoy,

Pete 3.gif

----------------

On 6/19/2003 8:33:23 AM BigBusa wrote:

So you enjoy "stirring the pot" here but you don't want me to "crank people up"? Can you please explain the difference mr kettle?

thanks

-pot

----------------

Okay Children, enough - if you want to get to name calling and insults, use email, IM, or private messages.

It's time the moderator shut this subject down since we're now reverting to slurs and posts that have absolutely nothing to do with any audio portion of this topic.

Refraining from ANY further posts would be the smartest thing for all to do.

Dean said:

"Looking at the math above, I say what's wrong with giving up 10 db of dynamic range in exchange for a harmonically richer and fatter sound?"

Not to mention that when the sound is fatter, the perception of sound appears louder.

Dynamic range is there with the Marks, no doubt. I have a 1700 sq. foot basement my system is in, all the goodies in terms of dynamics range & headroom are present even at 100db peak at 15 feet away.

If I had to listen at those levels on my Musical Fidelity a300 for more than a half hour, were talking serious fatique & headache to boot. With the Marks I can do this for hours, and enjoy.

Tom 3.gif

Mr. Kettle,

Just having some fun...no intentional offense to anyone, including good old Tom Brennan.

Try that Dynaco 400 on your Cornwalls, you might like it. Before giving my Cornwalls to my brother-in-law, I powered them with a solid state McIntosh 2100 (105 watts (closer to 135) watts per channel). Sounded real good, was great for parties. In fact, it was one of the best demonstrations of the Telarc 1812 w/ digital cannons. Those cannons pounded your chest.

When I got my Klipschorns, the old Mc sounded harsh. Went through numerous amps & pre-amps (borrowed from different sources). My favorites (amps only, pre-amps is another discussion) included A Fisher 500C (receiver), push-pull parallel 2A3 amps (old Hammond organ amps re-engineered w/ UTC LS-58 OPTs), 300B SETs & 2A3 SETS. I preferred the 2A3 SET all around for musicality. Unfortunately, for me, every solid state amp I tried sounded poor to me.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) especially with very transparent horns. I guess the 2-3 gain stages of a triode amp versus the typical 18 gain stages on a traditional solid state amp inject some undesirable sonics to me. But, there's always trade-offs!

Now everyone, have fun & enjoy (& listen to the music),

The Pot

9.gif

Pete---Yeah, I'm backing away from the hobby. I've been selling stuff off, tomorrow a guy is coming for my Altec 825 cabinets and I've a buyer for my JBL 4648s. All my compression drivers are gone, about all I've left now to get rid of is a couple of Fisher tube amps, some Altec woofers and some Altec multi-cells. Some stuff like a Yamaha HT receiver and a HK tube receiver will probably just go in the garbage, stuff hardly seems worth selling.

I'm just listening to my 605s, maybe when I get an apartment I'll get some Hereseys.

Tom,

I would also be interested in the JBL 4648s if your deal doesn't work out on selling them or if anyone else has some JBL 4648s or 4638s you want to sell, send me an email.

bcrites@cswnet.com

Bob