Buying RF7s: Should I use Motor Freight or UPS?

Ou8thisSN

Whe I had my R-3 system delievered it was handled by a freight line. the boxes were mint and the delievery guy had them secured to the side of the truck in a moving blanket. I would strongly consider using frieght.

For what it is worth SVS is using frieght to move their new box subs.

I have had a number of item shipped freight and not one item has been damaged including a couple of large mirrors.

Scott

Im looking into purchasing a pair of RF-7s as well. I havent purchased from Absolute Audio Video but in my research I have found them cheaper at Legacy Audio, Authorized Electronics, Brand Namez, and Reliable Audio. If you do go with Absolute please give us an update on your experience purchasing from them.

And the winner is!!!! Motor freight. EACH RF-7 will have a shipping weight of a little over 100 pounds. Thats already over 200 pounds total for your 2 front speakers. Depending on which speakers you order, when you mentioned getting the whole 7 speakers, the total weight will vary. The most intelligent and cost efficient way would be to have each speaker box for a complete system strapped and shrink wrapped onto ONE pallet. It SHOULD be around the same rate ($200?) if loaded on a truck that way. Even if your order requires 2 pallets the rate should not be much more if going to the same destination the same day. If you order just the RF-7s now and the rest of the speakers later you will again pay around $200 for your next shipment of speakers. The RS-7s will be over 25 lbs apiece. One RC-7 will approach 50lbs shipped. The RSW-15 is listed as being 85 lbs and over that when shipped. If you want something else for surrounds, like RF-5s, they will probably be close to 65 lbs apiece shipped. You do the arithmetic. Avoid UPS for items like these. Have some one to accept delivery that can inspect your shipment before bringing your new toys into your home. Unless you have a fork lift that you can drive into your house the speakers will need to be taken off the pallet inside the truck or outside of your home. Thats the time to check each box for any damage. And dont forget to count them. He He He . Good luck.

Ou8thisSN,

I work with FedEx and other express shipping companies on a daily basis. My firm is a logistics and shipping consulting company that helps perishable food suppliers deliver product direct to stores, restaurants, etc. We monitor in excess of 200 packages per day moving through the system, with weights ranging from 30 to 150 pounds.

*DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING ANY EXPRESS SHIPPER (UPS, FEDEX, WHATEVER) TO SHIP THOSE SPEAKERS IF YOU HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVE*

In the express shipping environment, you've got conveyor belts hundreds of feet long travelling at speeds up to 100 ft/sec (almost 70 mph) moving boxes through sorting facilities. When something disrupts the flow, or a box gets snagged (and the RF7 boxes will most likely be strapped, which gets snagged) it's like having a box fall of the back of car driving down the interstate at 70 mph.

I actually had one box with a whole 125 pound tuna that had a 6 inch diameter hole punched clean through it. Still haven't figured out how they did that.

Ray

----------------

On 6/18/2003 6:51:24 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

okay, well I ordered the speakers. They said it would be here in 12 business days by truck. the guy was very helpful, lets see.

----------------

Let use know how they it works out. Where did you order from and how much? The reason I ask is because I am thinking of replacing my 3's with 7's. Thanks.

----------------

On 6/18/2003 9:04:34 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

I actually had one box with a whole 125 pound tuna that had a 6 inch diameter hole punched clean through it. Still haven't figured out how they did that.

----------------

Most likely, somebody "poked" it with a fork-lift. The blade of a typical fork-lift is about 6 inches wide. I have spent a summer working in one of the huge warehouses on the west side of Columbus, OH, and it was not uncommon to see somebody manage to drive a fork-lift through something.

Well, I ordered the speakers yesterday, the guy said it would take 12 business days to have it delivered by heavy motor freight. I asked him if there was any way if it could be delivered before July 4th. Its gonna come from New Jersey. He told me to call the shipper, but i cant till tommorrow.

When I recieved the Plasma TV, it was shipped by ground freight, but the unit arrived in almost perfect condition. the outer box had a little tear at the lower corner of the box. the inner box was seamless. They even delivered it one day before the scheduled delivery date. So, I'm definitely a believer in non fedex/ups delivery.

right so, I got the speakers today. They are so huge and heavy, I had no idea. I called the shipping company this morning, and they said it would be here on thursday. Then they called back and said, on its here now, when do you want it? I said Can you bring it to me today? they said no, but you can come get it. So I took my car, and brought them back, one by one. Thats when I found out how heavy they were. The boxes were... not in great shape. There were a couple of big gouges, but the shippers assured me that the speakers werent damaged. So I accepted delivery, but I wrote on the sheet that there were these holes. At that point, I didnt know what to do, so I accepted. Anyway, tonight I unpacked the speakers, One was in perfect condition, and the other one had a dent in the speaker grille, that was facing the goughe. I will call the company tommorrow, and then find out their customer service after sale policy. I think they will honor it just fine. But other than that, everything was in there, just as if brand new. the Speakers were packaged perfectly, the only thing was that the warranty card was torn out, as they had stated. It was basically just as they had stated about the speakers. I'm just dissatisfied with the shipping company. I mean, the boxes had pretty big gouges, but not holes. I guess my immediate comparison comes to mind, when I had my Plasma TV delivered, which only had one little hole in the outer box, the inner box was perfect. Here, I guess I got lucky that the grill was facing the outside, where the box was penetrated. I havent hooked up the speakers yet. I will tommorrow.

I do need to know, what kind of wires should I get? the manual says 16 guage or larger, what do you guys use?

Monster respected? I think it's a matter of marketing/saturation/controlling/corning stores to carry the product sounds like that Mirco???? software saga.

Just cause KLIPSCH uses Monster doesn't mean it's a good think it just puts a familier name with a product to help push it along.

I'd find a shop that would let you take different wire home to audition so you can listen in YOUR enviorment at YOUR listening levels with YOUR media in YOUR favorite chair.

Personally I beleive it's snake oil plus part mind job telling yourself well for X amount of dollars spent it has to sound good.

Suit yourself 1.gif

OU8-

You did right to note the damage on the bill of lading. Usually what takes place is the vendor will make good on the product damage and fight it out with the shipping co. If the vendor makes you fight with the truckers, you will lose! Keep all the packaging as the freight co may want to do an inspection.

My RF-7 Short Story...

Well, I hooked it up today, I went with Monster XP 16 gauge cable, 20 feet, split to 10 feet each. First I tried with bare wire, but I couldnt quite reach the back of the reciever. Its placed in this entertainment cabinet, and I couldnt really get to it. Also, because of that whole Bi-wiring thing, I wasnt sure how secure the connection would be, had I poked it through the hole, and then had to place the spade lugs above it. So then I opened up the instructions for the reciever, and they said that a good connection would be to possible with banana plugs. Then I looked on the back of the RF7 and the binding posts had the middle covered up. So I thought I would have to get spade lugs on one end, for the speakers, and banana for the reciever side. then I called Klipsch, and they said that you can pop off the middle part off the binding posts on the speakers and stick in the banana plugs. Then I got the banana plugs, from monster cable but I couldnt figure out exacty how it worked (i was a virgin at advanced speaker hookups). So then I returned to best Buy for the third time, and got them to show me how to do it. They said you stick the wire with the jacket through the middle hole and then use the screw to poke a hole through it. Then, finally I came back and hooked up the speakers. My god, they were so crappy when I initially turned on the TV with MSNBC! It was so crackly, and I was just bewildered. I flipped channels, same crackly sound. I thought this could be because of the cable feed, and I am noticing this on the RF-7s that I didnt on the Bose AM-10s. Then I popped in the Back to the Future Part III DVD; Thats when things started to come full circle. I tried the last few chapters with the Delorean on the tracks. That sounded unbelievable. Not only was there a difference in imaging, but just the depth. I was able to do exactly what I wanted, an A-B comparison at my home, in my settings. It was so clear, and the bass from the RF7s was so much greater than the bass from the bass module from the bose system. From what I gathered, the RF7s are about 10db louder than the AM-10 at the same level. Now by dB, I dont mean actual db, I ran the reciever at -37 for the RF7s, and -27 for the AM-10 for the same volume levels. That that however you will. Then I tried some music CDs, thats when it was really evident how pronounced the difference was. On the Eagles Hell freezes over, track 6, the bongos sounded like them, not fake synthesized bass like it does in my alpine in the car. the AM-10 doesnt sounded like synthesized bass either, but the depth is much more pronounced in the RF7s. Then I tried Back to the Future Part 1, where the slow dance/marty playing Johnnie B Goode. When he plays that, here's my point actual point of clarity: You see everyone dancing around and one guy on the floor, snapping his fingers. That snapping, I actually heard... now thats clarity in all that music, dancing and talking. I'm so blown away by these speakers, they are worth every penny.

Also, about the busted grille, I called the company, they said they would have to order another one and have it to me in a week or so. I'm totally satisfied with my experience with these speakers, Thanks to all of you and your posts/pictures that helped me decide over the past 6 months.

Outstanding, Ou8thisSN. Now all you have to do is add a few more speakers, half dozen components, a continuum transfunctioner and a set of Henckel knives and youll have those credit cards smoking just like the rest of the nutcases around here.

2.gif