Best type of Speaker Wire termination w/Klipsch

Randu

I bought some IXOS ICs and was not happy with them compared to others I had (audioquest, MIT, monster) they seemd somewhat "dark" sounding and not as transparent. but YMMV, etc. they are nice looking, nicely made and relatviely inexpensive. tony

Thanks SunnySal for sharing.

I have heard elsewhere that they are "not bright" which is one of the things that made me look at them. As you I'm sure have heard before, Klipsch has a certain reputation for brightness, as does Yamaha (my receiver).

Arthur, I'll check out the Cobalt

Spades typically provide the best contact. You are literally screwing them down to the connector on the speaker. You have the most surface area in contact and the largest force holding that area in contact. Most bananas provide tenuous contact at best, essentially a single small point on each finger, without much force keeping it in contact, just the spring tension of the banana. Some of the locking bananas are better and might rival spades.

FWIW I use spade lugs on the ends of speaker cables that connect to speakers with barrier strips, but for everything else I simply tin the ends of the wires. I have 5-way binding posts on the walls and some of my speakers. The tinned ends go in the holes and the nuts get screwed down. I would use bare ends on the speakers with barrier strips except the spades give a better connection.

Other reasons I prefer spades: KISS; they cost me $.06 a piece at the local electronics store; they are very easy to install (solder, crimp or both).

Be aware that some folks consider tinning speaker wire a bad thing. Also, some folks prefer crimped over solder connections, and vice versa. IMHO, properly done, either works just fine.

I like spade lugs, pins, and bananas (as far as I'm concerned, they all make good cantact, as long as the solder or crimp is sealed tight), but for my present use with my Cornwalls and Mac barrier strips, bare naked wire works best for me!4.gif

Monster Cable makes termination 'pins' that were made for that kind of connector on your speaker. You might also want to try Caig Pro Gold. Its a cleaner & conductivity enhancer. It may do more than spending $$ on gold or silver connectors. If you like banana connectors, the only ones I can recommend are Xterminators by Mosnter Cable. Banana connectors can lose their "expansion" qualities over time. And not all female banana connectors have the same inside diameter which can cause the male banana plug to not fit tightly. The Xterminator banana can manually be expanded to produce a very tight fit in any female banana connector.