Reference 35 System Break-In

tbhausen

Tonight I will be unboxing a pair of RF 35's, a pair of RS 35's, and an RC 35. Nutrition will be a NAD T 762 and NAD T 562. I've heard of the need to "break-in" these speakers. If so, what genre? How long? How loud? Or is all of this break-in stuff hocus-pocus?

Thanks for your advice,

Todd

I think it's hocus-pocus; they are not engine bearings that need a few hours of gentle treatment to polish up.

Nonetheless, the Gurus say playing is required to break-in speakers. So, play the crap out of them! Play everything, at any loudness!

We all got to hear the RF-35 HT system in Indy. I'm hugely impressed. You're gonna like 'em, too!

Now, I have noticed a definite break in period for my RF7s. I called Klipsch before I hooked them up, and the tech support said it was about 30 minutes of break in, thats required. So when I finally hooked them up, at first it was terrible sounding, I dont know why. The treble was extremely crackly on every tv channel, but within 5 minutes that went away. Then it started sounding better and better in about 30 minutes or so at normal volume. So if thats what break in means, Its made a believer out of me...

i don't know about the break-in period theory either...but my dealer actually said "hundreds of hours" to break-in! that's a lot if you think about only using them for 3-4 hours/night after work and such. i can see how a subwoofer may need a break-in since the driver has so much more movement involved than a regular speaker...but it can't hurt i guess.

Took me about 3-4 days(movies, TV and cd's) before my RF-3II's settled down. I would have to crank My Ol' Pioneer to about half way to get decent lvls out of it. On that 3-4th day I only had to turn it a couple notches to get to those same lvls.

Enjoy Your Speakers,

Jalen

OK, I haven't unpacked them yet (the wai-ai-ting is the hardest part...). Tonight is Jimmy Buffett here in Indy, so I probably won't get to it until tomorrow. I will listen acutely and see if I note any changes in performance in the initial hours of use. Of course, I'll report back for others' info.

Todd