Bidding war - How high should I go?

Tony Boone

Look at the bidder list. The high bidder has ZERO feedback. This means two things. One is that he is likely a planted bidder to force the price up. Two... well, stop at one since that is probably what is going on. I have seen it many times before. Bids can be retracted later leaving someone holding the bag. Leave it alone until near close and find out what it is really worth to you. Personally, for a purchase like that, I would want to see AND hear them in person B4 bidding.

I'll help you out here a little bit. I would go as high as $1500 if I lived close enough to go get them. The cabinets are rough, and you don't know the condition of the drivers, but there will be non-Klipsch items that can be sold to recoup part of the cost, and the rest can be refinished and refurbished. What a system that would be in a living room! I used to have some of this MCM stuff when I was doing live sound.

Greg

Tony,

You are getting excellent advice on bid sniping. It is the only way to go on Ebay. If the time of auction close in inconvenient for you, check out bidslammer.com.... User friendly way to snipe bids in the last five seconds. First three snipes are free. Cool place. I picked up an item last week that otherwise, I would have had to miss church to get!

Regards,

Dee

p.s. these pieces of horns and stuff would be fun to go through and check out.

I agree with everyone also. My sister is a big ebay seller, & it is a known fact that people are not just bidding on the item, they are trying to out bid you! It's an ego thing.

Wait intil the last minute, then put in the highest you are willing to actually pay, plus 0.25 cents. Many auctions are won by the 0.25 9.gif

----------------

On 6/25/2003 10:19:16 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Look at the bidder list. The high bidder has ZERO feedback.

----------------

That would be me. lol I'm the one with 0 feedback as I just registered. Hadn't done the ebay thing in years but saw these and would like to have them in the living room as my main fronts. La Scalas as rears. LMAO! 9.gif

I goofed when I starting bidding with the other dude. I'll agree on that. Live and learn.

Tony B.

----------------

On 6/25/2003 10:19:35 PM greg928s4 wrote:

I'll help you out here a little bit. I would go as high as $1500 if I lived close enough to go get them. The cabinets are rough, and you don't know the condition of the drivers, but there will be non-Klipsch items that can be sold to recoup part of the cost, and the rest can be refinished and refurbished. What a system that would be in a living room! I used to have some of this MCM stuff when I was doing live sound.

Greg

----------------

I think most of the cabinet problem seen in the picture is DUST and cobwebs. If not some sanding and paint will take care of that.

He says most of the drivers are there. Worst case scenario diphragms maybe? Might have to replace a driver or two (or three). I'm the high bidder at $405. I think the cabinets are worth that alone. Hope the drivers that are in them DO work. Would be too cool.

Yes what a system in my living room! lol. My thoughts exactly. 2.gif

I take it you like the sound of the MCM stuff you owned? When I was in college I had a friend that owned pair of Altec 816s with HF horns. Not sure which horns he had but they sure sounded good. Better I think than my La Scalas. Punchier for sure as best I can remember.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Could be the other guys are about to snipe. lol

Thanks all,

Tony B.

I've been watching this for a week now. Ten minutes to go so I'm going to tune in to the page and watch with my refresh button. It's too far for me to bid. All the comments here about bidding at the end and using a sniper are very good advice. Good luck. Hamish

so who won? neither of you guys right? seems it went cheap. when I see these I wonder why people do not ask more questions of the seller, which are missing drivers, etc. I am also more hesitant to bid when the seller refuses to asnwer reasonable questions like that. regards, tony

I don't know who got those, but I think they got a steal. It takes a special person, room, and temperament to have a system like this. It is a huge sounding system. Not necessarily hi fi. Probably not hi fi. But I think it would be really cool to have a full MCM setup.

Greg

----------------

On 6/26/2003 8:30:16 AM sunnysal wrote:

so who won? neither of you guys right?

----------------

I made my last bid of $405.00 and had an hour left before the close of the auction. However, I fell asleep. lol. Oh well I really didn't want to travel up to Indiana anyway and will build a set of Altec 816 cabinets instead.

Tony B.