Tube Question???

NOZ

Anyone heard of Manley amplifiers?

I want to get, eventually, five seperate monoblock tube amps for my HT.

I'm in the high-end sound store yesterday, and after talking with them in-depth, the result was Manley Mahi's.

The Mahi's put out 40 watts. They would each be powering a single LaScala.

Any opinions?

Thanks

I have not heard any the Manley stuff but I have seen a lot of positive comment about the line - Particularly the Stinger integrated. My biggest reservation is that from what I have seen the Manley units are pretty damned pricey compared to similar units. That said I have yet to see a negative review.

I love the Look of Manley amps they just have that true AMP look none of the furniture approach. But they also have the Price to go with it. I have never heard any of there products but I bet they sound great ! The Stereo Integrated KT-88 model looks interesting but not for your application.

Craig

----------------

On 6/26/2003 9:02:25 AM Gregorius wrote:

I have heard the Manley Stingray, but it was $2250, and I was not impressed with it compared to the Conrad Johnson gear I heard as well. They sure have neat styling though.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

Hey Greg, what was the difference in sound? These are two names I am seriously considering along with a host of others. Manley`s website is nice also. CJ`s is so so.

MCG,

I heard the Manley Stingray and the CJ CAV50 both on a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4's(sorry no Klipsch there). Don't get me wrong, the Manley sounded good, but I liked the CJ better, it had a more tubey sound than the Manley. I guess that's the sound I was looking for.

The more I researched, the more I leaned to vintage, it is just as good sounding, for about 1/3 the cost after refurbishing.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

On 6/26/2003 10:46:11 AM Gregorius wrote:

MCG,

I heard the Manley Stingray and the CJ CAV50 both on a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4's(sorry no Klipsch there). Don't get me wrong, the Manley sounded good, but I liked the CJ better, it had a more tubey sound than the Manley.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

I don`t mean to press you on this but were the tubes the same in both units? Could this have been the difference? I`m just a curious student of sound.

MCG,

I believe the Manley uses EL84's and CJ uses the EL34's. I think Manley calls the EL84 the little brother of the EL34.

That is the only time I have heard both tubes side by side, but I think the circuit had more to do with the sound than the tube itself.

Greg

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that kind of money might be better spent on a state of the art processor for your HT. It's just my opinion, but I don't think tube amps sound near as good without a good tube preamp behind them. All of these nice amps hooked up to some run of the mill SS processor would be a let down. I think it would sound so much better with something like the nice Anthem unit, and then some more affordable tube products like (yes, you guessed it) the Quicksilver stuff. You can buy six Quicksilver monoblocks (used) for less than $3000. Something else you need to consider is retubing all of that gear every 2 or three years -- that could be very expensive over the long haul.

Dean,

It's OK, I've got an umbrella.

Who's to say I won't get a tube processor in the future?

I think five manley Mahi's would be a pretty good continuation to the project. Beside's the owner of the store said to get any better a processor than is in what I currently have would run around $16,000 or so.(or that I would hear a definate difference from).

I think it would be a good step.

NOZ,

I'll be looking forward to hearing about how you like them. Have only read about the Manley's, but one thing I am sure of, you'll have plenty of headroom. I've been listening to my La Scalas for a few days on a 40 WPC Cary Rocket 88 and it could probably push a room full of La Scalas. Well, I don't actually know what kind of load it could run w/o getting in trouble. But it ought to be more than ample muscle for the job.

Regards,

Dee