Ugh...Someone I know works in a Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche dealer in LA...

kenratboy

...and guess what? Some mom came in with her 16 year old daughter fresh from the DMV and bought her a brand new Porsche Turbo WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!! 6.gif - the daughter was absolutly clueless about even the basics of driving or cars (the test drive was filled with a few close calls and total lack of anything approaching driving skills), it was just 'pretty' and 'expensive'. They walked out of there for $150,000 (bank transfer) and, well, sigh...

I am sure a few of you can appreciate the potential of a Porsche Turbo with a 6-speed in the hands of a proper driver.

At he went home with a fat check for selling a 996TT.

----------------

On 6/27/2003 8:41:37 AM easylistener wrote:

I drove it a 911 turbo and that is way to much of a car for a new female driver. That is like giving a GSR1000 to a new motocycle driver, asking for trouble.

You need to get her name and ask her out. Boy friends always get to drive.
----------------

But it is a CRIME in Carland to have a car like that with a automatic.

I know what you are saying. But if they would have gotten her a stick just think how badly she would hurt her self doing all those things at the same time. It would be fun to watch her try and drive stick. The guy down the street was trying to teach his girlfriend to drive stick in his mustage. It was funny as hell. She either stalled it or spun the tires. It was like the add on tv with the s2000.

I started learning stick about a month ago (learning seriously I mean) and I think I have it down pretty well. never stall out anymore, and I don't spin the tires. I have learned on my moms newer (forgot the exact year but it's 2000+) and my dads 1999 3/4 ton dodge ram. damn that thing is fun to drive. it gives you a feeling of road superiority, lol.

My 2 daughters were given 2 weeks each to learn to drive before I hit them with a stick. Now they both prefer it, & even wanted to take the driving test in my car instead of their mom's automatic.

My younger daughter got her license 3 weeks ago, & asked for her first car to be a stick. I just bought her an 88' bronco II with a 5 spd, & she is in love!

My 1997 Camry CE V6 5-speed is about a month old - and I learned how to drive a stick on that thing. Stalled a few times, but never spun the tires, never smelled clutch smoke, and I am rev matching and all that good stuff. Hills still suck, but I use the hand brake and just take my time. I was absolutly 100% sure I wanted a 5-speed because my friends have cool cars and I want to drive them.

Also, it is fun!!!

For some folks such a car is basic transportation. But automatic or stick, the first thing that kid should do is go to a high performance driving school. Hopefully, she will survive long enough to learn how to control the vehicle when pushed to its potential. I have driven high performance cars all my life. Somehow I survived the first few years with close calls but no significant incidents. A lot of kids are not so lucky.

I learned to drive stick AFTER I bought a car with one. Someone else had to drive it off the lot. I still have a problem with RR crossings...WATCH OUT.

No parent should give a kid (male or female) a car like that.....unless of course they really don't like their kids.

----------------

On 6/27/2003 6:38:33 PM cluless wrote:

I learned to drive stick AFTER I bought a car with one. Someone else had to drive it off the lot. I still have a problem with RR crossings...WATCH OUT.

No parent should give a kid (male or female) a car like that.....unless of course they really don't like their kids.
----------------

I have stalled once in the last month. If I think I am heading down the road to Stallsville, I either put the clutch back in a bit on get on the gas, I usually do the first as a new clutch is almost $500.

----------------

----------------

Excellent point. But to some parents Money buy's love or so they think.

But yes an automatic in a 996 Turbo is heresy! They put the auto option in for people who don't want the hassle of shifting gears but rather a computer to do everything for them. I personally prefer the old 993 Turbo as it was more of a driver's car than the current 996. A 16 year old girl driving a brand new 996 TT...physically makes me sick! Still for an auto it's number's are pretty darn impressive. Personally I don't like the tiptronic's in the Porsche's. My mom has a boxster with a tiptronic tranny (heresy) and it isn't much fun as u can only shift it via the "paddles" on the steering wheel which are a pain to reach when your turning... ugh in the end you can't beat rowing your own gears!

2.gif

----------------

On 6/28/2003 1:23:48 AM sj993 wrote:

----------------

----------------

Excellent point. But to some parents Money buy's love or so they think.

But yes an automatic in a 996 Turbo is heresy! They put the auto option in for people who don't want the hassle of shifting gears but rather a computer to do everything for them. I personally prefer the old 993 Turbo as it was more of a driver's car than the current 996. A 16 year old girl driving a brand new 996 TT...physically makes me sick! Still for an auto it's number's are pretty darn impressive. Personally I don't like the tiptronic's in the Porsche's. My mom has a boxster with a tiptronic tranny (heresy) and it isn't much fun as u can only shift it via the "paddles" on the steering wheel which are a pain to reach when your turning... ugh in the end you can't beat rowing your own gears!

2.gif

----------------

And you can't forget on a car with a auto (like the Tiptronic), you are loosing a lot of power to the torque converter and all that. There is something nice about a full mechanical bond between gears 2.gif

First time I ever drove after I got my permit was a stick... now that was intimidating, and well... I didn't do so hot. Now, I didn't do bad... just not great. My dad never told me to start in 1st. 9.gif and 2nd worked ok...

This, of course is in my dad's Jeep Wrangler... until we got the new wheels and tires it rode like a log wagon... now it is smooth (I actually liked the rough ride- it is a hardcore offroader's Jeep and is supposed to ride that way). Great vehicle... runs nice, got the power, sounds great, looks great, and is a 5-speed.

With that said, it is shown that I like the Jeep. However, I love our BMW. hehe (who wouldn't?) We have a nice 735i, which is quite a dream to drive. Has two tranny modes- A and M (automatic and manual) for those who like to shift themselves. No clutch, but using M mode blocks the tranny from shifting on its own, so you can get the max out of each gear. I don't do that... hehe. On numerous occasions, my mom has spoken of leasing a brand new Z4 for me.... 9.gif Oh how I wish. Now, I think I will spring for the Nissan Z (less money...). Maybe it can be a graduation gift next year. hehe for my college-bound driving pleasure.

That would be awesome TPG to get a Z4 or a 350Z!!! Personally though I would go for the 350Z..I think it's a better car...defintely more of a driver's car and the Z4's styling looks a little odd from certain angles whereas the Z is just downright sexy...