Opinions: Would this work?

Ok, I've been working on building my home theater in my basement for the last three weeks. Everything was going smoothly 'till now. My father (the house the HT is going in hence he makes much of the decisions) wants to build a stage area for close to the screen. And by stage area, I mean one that comes up about 18-20" high to accept a single Heresy on its side inside of the stage (there would obviously be an opening with a fabric cover). However, he also wants to arc the stage which will bring the center channel about two feet out from the screen. I know that the center should be flat against the wall, but would this work? If you guys think it would not work, I'm probably going to do everything in my power to convince him otherwise. And just FYI, he wants to do it this way for the asthetic value.

Darth it sounds like it would work. Is the stage going to be covering the entire front area? Are you using a projector or TV? Raising a tv 18 inches will definitiely change the viewing angle and possibly make it very unconfortable.

If the stage is rather large perhaps you might be able to change his mind by introducing the addition cost of the wood. If the speaker is being built into the stage, the stage will need some type of sound proofing so the sound of the center channel does not resonate thru the stage.

Dads can do some crazy things and have some crazy ideas. But remember this so when you get older and you want to do something like this and your son tells you you are crazy you can reflect back on this and laugh.3.gif

Scott

I don't think front-to-back placement will be a major problem in either case... especially if you have an adjustable delay on the centre (I don't). For the sake of argument, I believe the THX standard places the front speakers in a straight line while the multichannel formats (DVDa and SACD) recommend placing the speakers in an arc with the centre slightly behind the two (toed in) main channels.

Actually I am somewhat curious on how placing the heresy on it's side right next to the floor will sound. Horn loaded speakers are very directional and the heresy is the narrowest of the heritage... so you horns will interact with the floor. Will you have carpeting? I'm guessing you'll end up with an added midrange peak... it isn't really a bad thing either seeing it is the centre... so it'll be more a question of personal taste. The original Cornwall Centres placed the horn further off the floor.

Just some extra thoughts to ponder...

Rob

Formica: I am trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with the reflection issue. It's in the basement so under the carpet is going to be concrete. I'm placing it on it's side so that I lose minimum screen height (it's going to be a 4:3 screen). I am also playing with the idea of modifying the heresy cabinet so that if it is laying on its side the horns would still be horizontle.

The only issue I have with this concept is imaging. By laying the Heresy on its side, you throw the balance of the center off to the side your tweet is located. Most amps don't have a left-right shift available for the center channel.

I suppose if you slightly alter the front L/R positioning to compensate (each side speaker same distance from between the mid and tweeter, rather than from the center of the room) you could correct it.

Who knows? Maybe you won't notice the imaging problem - I'm really sensitive to high frequency information and its direction, so I'd notice immediately.

----------------

On 7/2/2003 10:55:39 AM Darth.Balls wrote:

I am also playing with the idea of modifying the heresy cabinet so that if it is laying on its side the horns would still be horizontle.

----------------

How about removing the midhorn and tweeter from the Heresy, and placing just them ontop of the TV? They don't require any special cabinet being horns.

----------------

On 7/2/2003 12:27:43 PM formica wrote:

How about removing the midhorn and tweeter from the Heresy, and placing just them ontop of the TV? They don't require any special cabinet being horns.

----------------

Wouldn't removing the horns (especially the squawker) radically change the internal cabinet volume? How much do you think that would affect the performance of the Heresy woofer?

Actually based on the K-22 woofer's T/S parameters, the Heresy cabinet is undersized (it gives a Q>0.7) so increasing it a little should actually smoothen it's response a little... but don't expect a large difference.

There was another thread on here where someone removed the horns simply to increase the cabinet volume... but found little improvement in the bass. He did complain that the mids and highs, now mounted above his cabinet, sounded different... probably due to placement and driver interaction... so you should experiment with it before deciding on it.

I haven't tried it myself but will probably go with an inversed Heresy over my screen when I do build my music room.

You would of course have to seal up the openings where the tweeter and squawker previously resided right? Otherwise it would go from a sealed to a vented enclosure? I am no expert on this stuff but I thought some drivers worked better in sealed boxes and others did well with freely movable air.

Dan

My best advise ... Especially if you have all the components now...

Place em where you plan to use them NOW!!!

You can get the "proper exact placements" later, if your OK with the sound. If you build a place for it, and later put it in there, and it sounds terrible......Your screwed...

Kinda like how I do home woodworking. Measure twice, cut once...

----------------

On 7/2/2003 5:20:03 PM Danartdis wrote:

You would of course have to seal up the openings where the tweeter and squawker previously resided right?

----------------

Yes you are correct... i went with the assumption the the openings would be sealed (by simply screwing a piece of wood from the interior).

Heresys can be ported but it involves much more than leaving a hole in the cabinet, as this port would result in a very high tuning frequency...

Rob