building a center channel for heresys ???

BnB guy

ok all of you more "learned" seem to want /recomend the same type of speaker across the front to timber match . this makes sense to me , it only logical as each type speaker has its own characteristics ....so given that how close does one have to get to sound correct ?? i have heresys for fronts with k77m tweeters k52h mids and k22 woofers with e2 crossovers if i cant find the exact ones would say earler ones say k55v mids and type e cross overs and similar year tweeters be ok??? or later drivers for that matter ill have to figure out the woofer situation as space dictates that 12" woofers won't fit in my given space . i have no problem making the boxes as i have almost rebuilt my house so building boxes that are nice and proper would be a day with power tools and a 12 pack ....hehehe.. any feed back would be a real help ........thanks

You should be able to find exact matches. I think you can order them new from Klipsch. If not, my guess is that the older ones would sound fine. Many here mix heresy 1s and 2s. Some will argue otherwise but for my ears they'd probably be close enough. It's always best to get an exact match if you can though.

I used the horns & crossover from a Heresy I, & replaced the 12" with 2 8" Infinity's. It worked out very well. Others on this forum have done the same with 10" drivers & it also seems to work.

Click on my link below & you can see my setup.

BnB,

As the others have said, you can get some parts from Klipsch. Your best bet is to look at ebay. when searching ebay not only look at klipsch but also look under electrovoice for T35's (aka K77) and alnico. You should be able to find your horn tweeter. As far as the mid range horn the K55 are a bit harder to come by but not imppossible. The woofer should be no problem since you can get one from klipsch if you can't find one on ebay.

I took a little different route for my center. Since I have La Scala's as my mains I wanted a center that would hold up to them but did not have space for another La Scala. I went with 2 Kv1089 10" copper woofers out of an RF7, a K52 midrange horn out af a KLF30, and a EV T35(aka K77) horn tweeter. This is a big center at 42"w x 13.5h x 15"d. Crossover is at 700/5600

If you decide to build your own let me know and I will be more than happy to email you construction pics.

Here is a pic of mine.

Good luck!

post-8797-1381924829338_thumb.jpg

Here is a smaller version of a Heresy based center using the mid and high section of a Heresy and a pair of Focal 7" woofers. It utilizes a modified Type E crossover that replaces the oil caps with Hovlands and Solens and uses a Solen air core inductor. The crossover points are 800 and 6000 to match the HF specs of the Heresy. The size matches the HF section of the LaScala mains in my HT. It produces a theoretical F3 of 53Hz and has some nice kick on some DVD music tracks. The timbre match (the goal of the project, as well as aesthetics) to the LaScalas is seamless and the small size looks nice in my HT. Good luck on your project, building one of these is a lot of fun.

Like Scooter, most any of us would be glad to correspond if we can help.

post-10812-13819248294_thumb.jpg

Here is my version (sans grille) using H I Type E Xover, K77 tweeter, K55

Squawker and Fostex 168 sigma woofs - I mix HI and HII in my HT and these are an excellent match for my front HIIs.

Good luck and as said before - ask questions. We love to try and help and to see your end product. PMs work very well also.

post-8682-1381924829846_thumb.jpg

thanks guys i think ive got a good idea of what i want to do. now i need to gather up the parts to do this project. i assume i should try to keep the internal volume approxmently the same as the heresy but i will probally use a pair of smaller woofers . but im sure there is a way to figure out(formulas or whatever) the proper box volume .i'll just need to narrow my choices on the woofers.

----------------

On 7/6/2003 9:49:22 PM BnB guy wrote:

i assume i should try to keep the internal volume approxmently the same as the heresy but i will probally use a pair of smaller woofers .

----------------

I built my first box using the same internal size as the Heresy, & it did not sound right. I then got dimensions for the Infinity woofers I was using from a custom speaker builder local to me & started over. It came out perfect.

Brother-

How tough was it to incorporate the two woofers into the project. I have been toying with designing a custom center based on components to timbre-match with my Chorus IIs and was thinking about using two woofers instead on just one. I am very pleased with my Academy, but thinking about a custom center at some point if I can swing a dedicated HT room. Do you have to modify the x-over, or just make sure both woofers run to the correct spots?

----------------

On 7/7/2003 12:49:59 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Do you have to modify the x-over, or just make sure both woofers run to the correct spots?

----------------

You will need to design your box size for your new woofers... you can use a program like WinISD (freeware) to choose your woofers and design your cabinet.

If you don't want to redesign a x-over, you'll need the T/S parameters for your heresy woofer... plug them (and the heresy volume) into the program, and see what they give. Note that there are different woofer versions and matching x-overs. Then try to find other woofers which will have similar efficiency and frequency response curve. Once you've chosen woofers, then design your box size according to the software.

If you want to try designing your own x-over... then your woofer choices are even larger. Unfortunately I know very little in the complex world of x-overs... but Scooterdog did a great job at doing just that (with a little help).

Later...

Rob

I'm trying to find a center match for my Forte IIs. I have a pair of Quartets that I would convert if I had the technical and mechanical ability. Does anybody know of any speaker buliders that could/would be able to do this. Of course, if you have an Academy you don't need, I'll be glad to consider it.

The dual woofer configuration isn't hard to do, but you will need to calculate the box to get the results you want using the T/S parameters of the woofers you intend to apply. There are several box calculators on the net; formica's suggestion is probably good and Eminence makes one as well. You will almost certainly need to modify the crossover unless you can make a two woofer arrangement match the impedance characteristics of a single Heresy woofer at the crossover point.

I had a bit of trouble finding a small woofer that met the performance criteria, particularly sensitivity, at a reasonable cost since this was a bit of an experiment. Given the results I obtained and how well I liked it when complete, I would probably not hesitate to choose a higher cost/quality woofer if I were to do this again.

Also, on the crossover network you will want to match the component types for each driver (as compared to your front channels)to help with the timbre match. In my case, I used a Hovland cap for the tweeter and a Solen/Harmony combo for the midrange, and a Solen air core inductor on the woofers. If you keep the stock oil caps you would need to find a crossover to match the front channels and replace the woofer inductor with the correct value to match the crossover point for the new woofer combo.

Good luck! I could send more info by email if you like.

Wow, that sounds a bit daunting, but maybe doable at some point. Actually I would be using something that would match my Chorus IIs, so something from the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line. Thinking along the lines of Boomac about converting a Quartet into a center, though I am really happy with my Academy for a while. I'd need to have more room for a custom center as the Academy fills the top of my current 27" ProScan. If I got anything bigger, I'd need to mount it on the wall or place in front of my TV, and I don't have room for that right now. I'll probably print this thread out to keep handy for future reference.

Brother, you have mail.