Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

KAiN64

The movie was pretty good. Complaints...

FThere were too many advertisements for products like Xenedrine or Toyota and stuff, you will see what I mean when you watch it.

It was funny as 7734! (for non dorks, that is hell 12.gif) Just funny things from the earlier ones and whatnot, if you have not watched 1&2, you REALLY NEED TO WATCH THEM. More importantly, No. 2.

It was worth the $8.50+$0.75 service charge.

I thought it was somewhat cheesy. There were a lot of corny one liners from Arnold. However, I didn't go into the film expecting much so I enjoyed it. I will say the whole concept is getting tired. How many times can you keep going back in time?

I don't remember the sound being anything special, it was not in THX or DTS as far as I remember.

I was entertained and disappointed at the same time.

******Spoilers************

Anyway, it started really cool and looked very terminator like at the opening credits, the similarities stopped there. Although the action sequences were cool, there was too much wrong with this movie for me to really enjoy it. I found myself pointing out all the inconsistancies the whole time. First off, the whole male stripper thing at the begining was not cool, besides, when arnold left te building the chicks were still cheering, if he mangled some dude and took his clothes you think someone would get upset??? Also, when he steals the first car, he reaches for the visor to find the keys. This is a different Terminator, not the same one from the previous movie. In T2, arnold strated out like a machine and became more human, almost like a father figure. At the begining of T3, arnold was the same way only without the relationship with John. He scanned for human casualties when he got into it with the cops. Why? The old terminator wouldn't have done that until after John told him he couldn't kill anybody. The cheezy one liners really cheapened the expirience as a whole. Also, where is the character development?? It was a 10 minute into and a huge action sequence, then end of movie. The ending came as a bit of a suprise but seemed thrown togather to quickly. Judgement day can not be avoided. Well why not?? Seems a little too set up for another sequal. Anyway, I guess it was worth the $7 I paid for it, but wouldn't bother seeing it again. I'll stick to the first two.

I have the answers.

SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN SPOILERS AGAIN

First off, the whole male stripper thing at the begining was not cool,

---You gotta make your money somehow...

besides, When arnold left te building the chicks were still cheering, if he mangled some dude and took his clothes you think someone would get upset???

---They never showed him "mangling" him.

Also, when he steals the first car, he reaches for the visor to find the keys. This is a different Terminator, not the same one from the previous movie.

---John Conner may have told his wife about that adventure and the T3 was programmed with better information, memories that would only help the mission, not his popularity (ie no slang)

In T2, arnold strated out like a machine and became more human, almost like a father figure. At the begining of T3, arnold was the same way only without the relationship with John.

---See above

He scanned for human casualties when he got into it with the cops. Why? The old terminator wouldn't have done that until after John told him he couldn't kill anybody.

---See above

The cheezy one liners really cheapened the expirience as a whole.

---First one had NO humor, second was middle, this is the extreme. Guess they wanted a balanced diet?

Also, where is the character development??

---Arnold good, Arnold bad, Arnold good again. 1.gif

It was a 10 minute into and a huge action sequence, then end of movie. The ending came as a bit of a suprise but seemed thrown togather to quickly. Judgement day can not be avoided. Well why not??

---God said there would be a judgment day. John Connor is like the psuedo second coming of Jesus. I don't want to dig too deep into this.

Seems a little too set up for another sequal.

---Hey, Arnold has to pay for his campaign some how! 1.gif

Anyway, I guess it was worth the $7 I paid for it, but wouldn't bother seeing it again. I'll stick to the first two.

---I agree, but I will get it on DVD.

Ok then Justin, if Dyson was killed in T2, all his work was destroyed, the lab was destroyed, and all the reseach as well as the damaged chip were all destroyed how did skynet survive?? Oh it's a software thing right? Wouldn't the software need the neuronet processor that dyson was developing to operate. How could it become self aware with out it? Wasn't that the whole point of the chip? If they could do it without that processor, dyson's work was irrelivant.

Ok then Justin, if Dyson was killed in T2, all his work was destroyed, the lab was destroyed, and all the reseach as well as the damaged chip were all destroyed how did skynet survive??

---Who is to say that there was not someone in the background who was really incharge, who was just using Dyson as a pawn, feeding him what he needed to get things right. Have you seen the movie Antitrust?

---we are never told that another machine did not go back in time and copy the information from the lab before the explosion or bring another chip back from the past and thus the future. we are never told that the CPU was really necessary to control skynet, if it is truly software, hardware may have just been emulated to function.

---they had all kinds of info on the CPU, who is to say that some intern did not find it, or that the government did not audit them very closely and had their own project going?

Oh it's a software thing right? Wouldn't the software need the neuronet processor that dyson was developing to operate. How could it become self aware with out it?

---see last two above

Wasn't that the whole point of the chip? If they could do it without that processor, dyson's work was irrelivant.

---see above's "see above".

---there is a philosophical irony here. to some, everything we do is irrevelant to the future. what will happen will happen, nothing can change a will, nothing can change a "has been" into a "will be". I will try and find the philosophy in particular tonight.

---when you mix time travel into anything, any thing (note the seperation there hehe) can happen.

Im with Justin. Me and my 12 year old son thought it was very good, I would say 4 out of 5 stars. My son just saw T2 about a week ago for the first time (I just bought the new extreme DVD) and he really liked that also.

Anyway, the points Justin makes are good. Arnold doesnt wanna be killing cops, so he doesnt. He just makes sure he gets John outta Dodge.

Its a movie, go and enjoy it. Of course there will be a T4. At the end, when the movie ends and its all kinda quiet in the theatre, I yelled out "I'll be bock!", and the crowd loved it!

2 thumbs up!!!!! 10.gif

They don't call it "fiction" for nothing.

If time travel to the past is ever possible, the future would have visited us.

I had a good time reviewing T1 and T2 on video before the family went off to the cineplex. It was all a good time.

If you don't get too microscopic, there were even good family values of intergenerational protection and fulfillment of the family way. A bit of a stretch to see this in the fire fights, but it is there.

You may see the war of the machines and future distruction of civilization as hackney. Yet the '50 had the mindless war of politics (which took over) and real threats of MAD.

Gee, you guys get too serious. Have a good time. It is just a movie.

I await T4.

Gil

Not that I didn't like the movie, but I have to admit that I was expecting a little more. Sequels are always hard to do right... and I was surprised back when T2 came out on how much better it was than i expected (I still prefer T1) so I guess I carried this feeling to T3... "that a sequel could be almost as good". Not the case this time.

It's fun and has one of the best chase scenes I've seen in a long time (who needs an exotic car when you can drive a killer CRANE) but don't expect a sci-fi classic.

Rob

i dont know - but i thought it was much better than the first two. i just thought that the action sequences were top notch - done when there were people around, i.e. crane vs firetruck - unlike in the second one where the truck vs motorcycle chase was done in an empty highway ditch (i dont know what its called). also, i thought there was so much that u could infer from the second and first to this one - like the scanning for human casualties, the looking for keys atop the visor and the impending judgement day.

overall, i would like to see it again - but more importantly, i am very glad that they are going to push through with t4. all my friends think the same as i do as well! woohoo!

----------------

On 7/14/2003 11:22:00 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

If time travel to the past is ever possible, the future would have visited us.

I

Gee, you guys get too serious. Have a good time. It is just a movie.

I await T4.

Gil

----------------

Who is to say I am not from the future? 3.gif

I was just playing around but people took me really seriously so I figured... why not haha.

Yay! Hurricane! A Coastal Terminator.

Good to hear from you Justin.

Let's be logical. If you're from the future, it must be bad, if you choose to live in the past. So there is no cure for disease in the future which you bring back? You don't know the outcome of the stock market and sporting events which, though betting, would make you a rich man? I'm kidding ya.

An equally appealing question is whether "The Peace Movement" or the Beatles, did change the course of time. This is more a question of alternate furtures. Also a fertile ground for sci-fi.

It is interesting that Asimov gave up after three books in what would be known as the Foundation Trilogy. He explained that another couldn't be done because of inconsistencies, as he saw them.

I'm glad the T3 people didn't get too saddled by consistency. We'd have been deprived an entertaining movie.

It will be interesting to see what T4 is about. Maybe following the Star War's theory, it will be a prequil to T1.

Now, bear with me. What about a prototype T1 set in 1957. We should write a script.

Gil

----------------

On 7/16/2003 9:59:40 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Now, bear with me. What about a prototype T1 set in 1957. We should write a script.

Gil

----------------

I am on it! Can I choose the sound track? Sarah Brightman - Harem would definately be one of the tracks. Wow, what a great slow motion action scene this song would create. Just imagine the fight, almost poetic, nearly ballet, completely amazing.

Hmm,

I suppose T 0.5 would have be coming back to terminate the ancestors of Connor.

But that doesn't quite answer the genre of the movie.

It could be "happy" 1957 like BttF. That would lend to a spoof, which I wouldn't quite think is appropriate.

On the other hand, it could be a film noir version, cities at night, steamy jazz. T 0.5 in a double breasted suit and fedora as a classic hit man. Maybe we have to bring it back to early '50s.

Suppose he finds that all Connor ancestors appear in classic B&W films set in those times. Someone from The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Blob, The Creature from 20,000 Fathoms. Perhaps in each episode, the monster / robot inadvertenty thwarts the hit. Too complicated, but fun to think about.

Gil

Oh boy! I like it. How about The Terminator vs. Rodan!. Ha Haaaa. What will probably happen is that Terminator 4 will become the President of the United States and Terminator 5 will arrive to eliminate all those who elected him. Lights! Camera! Election! Wholl be next in office? Some dumb bunny cartoon character? Jeeeeez.

1957 is not nearly far enough back. The machines should create a dinosaur like terminator called the Terminosaurus back in time to find the bit of primordial jelly that the first humans evolved out of and drink it so that humans never existed. The humans will then send Charlton Heston and Chris Rock back in time to stop the Terminosaurus. At the movie's climax the machines suddenly realize that if humans never existed than neither would they, and the Terminosaurus repents and adopts a live-and-let-live ideology that would forever alter the course of Time Travel filmmaking. The film closes with Chris Rock riding the Terminosaurus into the sunset with them singing a broken duet of "Unchained Melody"