Older Solid State Amps

MBM135

Trying to get my younger brother hooked up with a good integrated amp and some decent speakers. He is using a mid-1990s cheapo Sony receiver.

I may let him borrow my old KG4s to get him started. He will not have the patience for tubes so want to get him into a good solid state integrated. Trying to go inexpensive too.

Was thinking of steering him into a 1970s Marantz amp like a 1060 or 4140 off eBay. I have heard that the 1970s build quality was awesome and that things went down the toilet in the 1980s--unless ou have lots of cash to spend. Also heard that Sansui, Fisher and Yamaha built some decent stuff too.

Was looking for some suggestions from you all on what some good 1970s (or early 80s) integrated models I should consider.

Thanks,

Mike

Believe it or not, Pioneer and Kenwwod made excellent SS receivers in the 70s. I still own a Kenwood KR-9600. Pioneer SX-1200 series is great too. I don't think you can go wrong with the Marantz either. Just be careful it's in good condition. Sometime parts aren't available anymore.

Excerpt from ClassicAudio.com:

"What the heck happened in 1980?

The exact date varies from brand to brand, but the bottom fell out of the build quality. Manufacturerers sacrificed quality for production speed and basically were aiming at the 'general' market instead of the 'audiophile' market. Analog tuners were replaced with digital tuners (I still have yet to find a digital tuner that will come close to doing what the average Pioneer receiver will do, never mind my Sansui TU-9900). Discrete output devices were often replaced with integrated circuits, many of which are no longer available today. Some pre-1980 models used output ICs, and some post 1980 models were still well built. These will be noted in the database when they are discovered."

You stated you wanted to get him into int amps.......I recommend the Cambridge Audio int amp. Can be purchased for around 250.00 new... Also look at the Creek line . I have the 4140MKII and love it, for its clarity,power and simplicity..... Bill

----------------

On 7/5/2003 11:02:49 AM garymd wrote:

Believe it or not, Pioneer and Kenwwod made excellent SS receivers in the 70s. I still own a Kenwood KR-9600. Pioneer SX-1200 series is great too. I don't think you can go wrong with the Marantz either. Just be careful it's in good condition. Sometime parts aren't available anymore.

----------------

Don't you just love those Pioneer SX series receivers? I especially like the cool "black out" display, very retro!

These Pioneer receivers were a masterpiece, and they could really crank out the power!

I also like some of the Sansui receivers, such as the 9090DB. It is built like a tank, has great sound, and more than enough power to drive just about any speaker. They don't make em' like this anymore.

Bill

wjkubacki@aol.com

My local vintage shop has an SX-12?? for sale. The huge one that's about 260 wpc. Mint condition. At first they wanted $1200 but last time I was in it was down to $900. Beautiful receiver. It's been for sale for about a year now. If anyone's interested my guess is they will take an offer at this point. It is MINT.

Bill,

I also have had the pleasure to rediscover the Sansui line. I have the G 5700. Which sounds muddy after listening to my Creek........powerful yes, just not as crisp,,,at least to me.

I talked about the Cambridge Audio line, because there use Creek componets and are less expensive...but just as good.

Bill,

I also have had the pleasure to rediscover the Sansui line. I have the G 5700. Which sounds muddy after listening to my Creek........powerful yes, just not as crisp,,,at least to me.

I talked about the Cambridge Audio line, because they use Creek componets and are less expensive...but just as good.

Welcome to the forum. Check out Craig (NOSValves) signature. He's one of the resident tube amp restorers here on the forum but his signature implies that he's using the SX-780 with lascalas also. Says something about those old pioneers.

Dean, Too funny.9.gif

I might just have to call you at work tonight.

Now where did I write that number down that you posted in the middle of the night some 4 months ago.....?

J/K.10.gif

maybe.....

I can tell you all of a few good vintage receivers that mate well with Klipsch.

1. McIntosh. (of course)

2. Silver faced Pioneer. (pre-"80)

3. StereoTech 1200. (McIntosh subsidary)

4. Realistic STA-2000.

5. Marantz 2245. (sounds good w/everything)

6. Sansui QX-4500 and TU717. (all models sound good, but many of their integrated receivers have inherant unrepairable switch related issues due to bad design)

BTW. A quick quiz.

Can anyone tell me what Sansui did with all their left over NOS parts from the 70's production runs?

You won't beleive the anwer.6.gif