Tell me about Dual turntables

jhawk92

Here's a question for the turntable crowd. While going through some of my late grandfather's audio equipment, we found a Dual CS-515 turntable. I don't know much about this brand specifically, so was wondering if folks have any idea as to current value, audio quality, etc. I found info at this site

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tables/CS515.htm

so if anyone else has additional info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I have had a Dual 1219 Turtable for 35 years and love it. Won't give it up for the world.I even picked up a 1210 a couple of years ago as a backup, but have never had to use it.

The model you are talking about is a much, much later one and I do not know if Dual kept their quality up. When I got mine, it was one of the best Turtables you cpuld buy and The way it has continued on in top form, has proven the accolades to be correct. If the newer models are eveen half the quality of the old ones, I think you will be very sartisfied with it.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Mike

Dual was probably one of the largest producers of turntables ever

Over the years Dual produced a vast range of turntables ranging from superb audiophile turntables to junk. That one appears to have been a fairly ordinary unit - better than some but nothing special. That said if you want to give vinyl a try (and you should) it would provide a no cost intro.

Mike/Lynnm-

Thanks for the input. I already have a Rega P2 I bought from a fellow board member, so I don't need another TT unless the Dual can do better than my Rega. I have an ATI cartridge with that, but I don't know what the Dual has. I was mainly interested if it is worth having a repair place check out the unit, since it was not stored in a very hospitable environment. Me thinks I'll kick around and see how much a TT refurb costs. Thanks.

Your Rega would eat that thing as an appetiser.

It is unlikely to be worth having refurbed as you can easily find as good or better on Ebay for 25-30 and at garage sales for as little as a couple of bucks.

It is not a bad TT it just is a very run of the mill TT.

I'm gonna sneak in here with a question. Anyone familiar with the Kenwood KD-500 turntable? Saw one used today. It is heavy as heck, made from what appears to be a Corian-type synthetic marble-concrete. Apparently these were sold w/o tonearms. Here's one on eBay Direct drive, seems nice!

fini

Gary,

The link was for reference. I saw one locally, so no shipping! Hey, what's going on with that 10 year bond rate? I shoulda sold my zeros a few weeks ago...

fini

Fini,

I should have done some things a few weeks ago myself. If Greenspan had cut 50bps instead of 25, things would certainly be different right now. I thought for sure he had the kahoonas to do it (with a little push from Bush - thought they were buds). The market had already factored in 25 but was hoping for 50. Don't despair. Big turnaround to come. When you ask? No idea.

Back to important things. If you found one of those local and cheap, grab it. Looks like a nice table. You already have a nice cartridge. 1.gif

(Talk about hijacking a thread...)

Gary, By turn-around, do you mean equities take off, or tank? Interest rates back off, or skyrocket? Just lookin' for your opinion (maybe we should take this outside...).

fini

Rob...Dual turntables were considered very good. They appealed to a slightly different market, those who wanted a quality TT with manual TT performance & SOME automatic conveniences. One model (which one of my friends still has) had a 'zero tracking error' tone arm. It's not a 'Linn', but certainly equal to Thorens middle-of-the-line TT's like a TD160, but with a some 'automatic features' such as lifting the arm off the LP at the end of the record. The Rega should be much better as turntables go.

----------------

On 7/9/2003 5:32:01 PM fini wrote:

(Talk about hijacking a thread...)

Gary, By turn-around, do you mean equities take off, or tank? Interest rates back off, or skyrocket? Just lookin' for your opinion (maybe we should take this outside...).

fini

----------------

I'm talkin economy turning around and interest rates eventually going up again. No skyrocketing in the near future. It'll most likely be a long, drawn-out process. It's inevitable though. Two years ago we all should have bought 5 yr CDs. A year and a half ago I put a lot into 1 yr at 7.00% and some into 42 month at 7.50%. Too bad I put the bulk into 1 year. Now I just have lots of liquidity. My 3% checking account is about all I feel safe putting new money into doing these days and that's a bargain. I'm certainly no financial genius but I sometimes play one on TV.2.gif

----------------

On 7/9/2003 6:54:21 PM fini wrote:

Well, I couldn't pass it up. Especially with an Infinity Black Widow tonearm attached, all for $17.49 out the door! I will start a new thread...

fini

----------------

$17.49!!! The dustcover is worth more than that!

Lynnm-

Good enough, as that's why I was looking to the boards for the wealth of knowledge out there. And if you need help tracking down Griff, just let me know...that was a terrible pun! But I must admit, I did chuckle out loud.

Gary/Fini-

Wow, talk about hijacking a thread! 9.gif But some good insight on the banking industry.

Artto-

Thanks for your input as well. Enough people said it was a quality TT when I bought it that I was very satisfied with the price point and the performance it gives. It is stock, with the glass platter, no mods to the motor, and I think it uses the RB-250 arm. The ATI cartridge was part of the deal, and I think is one of their better units. But while we are talking about the Rega, are there any small tweaks that would be worthwhile? New platter or different tone arm?

"One model (which one of my friends still has) had a 'zero tracking error' tone arm. It's not a 'Linn', but certainly equal to Thorens middle-of-the-line TT's like a TD160, but with a some 'automatic features' such as lifting the arm off the LP at the end of the record. "

Could you be referring to the Garrard line of TTs? They had the "zero tracking error" arm. I'm not aware that Dual arms had this feature.

whell

I think that may the Garrard Zero 100 TT he is thinking of. Garrard and Dual were head to head competitors with the Duals generally being preferable overall but certain of the Garrards were the equal of just about anything in their class.