Mandatory overtime law....???

ricktate

I guess I don't have it so bad. My employer pays time and a half for every hour after your 40hrs is accumulated, with Sunday's being double time regardless of your hours during the week. Very easy to follow and fair, too bad were not working very much overtime anymore though..ha,ha

----------------

On 7/13/2003 1:09:26 PM rowooo wrote:

I guess I don't have it so bad. My employer pays time and a half for every hour after your 40hrs is accumulated, with Sunday's being double time regardless of your hours during the week. Very easy to follow and fair, too bad were not working very much overtime anymore though..ha,ha
----------------

Thats the problem for me at work, now they HAVE to pay this overtime for >8 hour days, we just can't work longer... I would rather work a 12 hour day without OT than an 8 hour day period.

Kenny---The idea behind time and a half was to discourage overtime and encourage the hiring of more help. Mind that the rule was enacted during The Great Depression.

What I find depressing is that you are willing to work overtime for straight time pay. A very shortsighted and finky attitude, one that destroys wages and conditions for everyone, including you. Nothing pleases the boss more than workers who are willing to stick it up their own ***, it saves him so much work.

Well Tom,

This is a great day. I agree with you on OT pay! 9.gif

My company now pays no more than straight time to engineers and technical types unless we get more than 20 hours OT/week. It sucks and there is no incentive for the boss NOT to ask for OT. During one crunch, they wanted several of us to work, but would not pay for Sunday or Holiday work unless we put it on the timesheet for a non-work Saturday later on. I don't mind donating a few hours for the company's benefit, but to deliberately over book our time and only offer straight time is another insult.

I've almost got 25 years in. It's hard to drag up that close to retirement!

Our engineer's "Association" negotiated this pay scheme for us. I cannot imagine why. I get a blank stare when I ask.

----------------

On 7/11/2003 2:07:40 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

I live to help, I love to help, I help to live, I love to live, I live to love, I help to love, I love to help. It goes full circle. Pay It Forward ya know...

(BTW, Clu, I have some more booze-lates if you want some
9.gif
Just keep Less out of them this time, those razor blades really hurt going down (even with extra milk!))

----------------

Justin, you da man!

Dee

Kent,

I work 12 hour days Sun, Mon, Tues and every other Wed. Though the hours are great 12 hour days take their toll. Working the 12's doesnt leave much time to do anything that evening and usually the first day off is recovery. But 4 day weekends are fun during the summer.