ALK's are in

AnalOg

I got the ALK's in, I'm hearing alot in a way of resolution & imaging that I grew accustom with my RF3II's, I have what was missing along with a much bigger sound. Either the rf3's are way bright or the Scalas are on the dark side. Maybe its just a question of different tone, do to the fact that I'm dealing with full horns as apposed to cone drivers. The sound has smoothened out alot, you can't tell your listening to a 3 way, the transition is so seemless, to my ears anyways. Nice balance from top to bottom. I tried the other taps, yuk. Sounds like theres a hole in the music, I like the default setting. Before the change over the speakers were shouting at me, now there placing the music out in front of me, is the way I can sum it up in a nut shell.

Either the AL 's are really bad networks or time has taken its toll on them.

Tom,

Are the ALK's amazing or what? I haven't compared the LS to RF's so don't have that to draw on. Is what you describe as "dark" sounding, maybe the great midrange and trebs not quite so much out front? I'm just as happy to have not experienced the AL's. In terms of Klipsch history, did the AL's come after the AA's?

Regards,

Dee

Tom:

I bought the ALK for my '85 Khorns and was very pleased with the global improvement in the sound reproduction. Every parameter was improved and I especially appreciated the added bonus of being able to adjust the squawker output. My system never sounded so good.

I'm getting ahead of myself with this post. I've submitted a email I sent Craig yesterday morning explaining some of the other findings and adjustments I've made in order to get a better presentation.

Craig,

You were right!

It is going to take some time to get these settled properly into the room.

I added some of those furniture grippers on all four corners, stacking two high on the fronts - that tightened up the bass more so.

The one thing I did that really helped with the bass situation was get rid of the table I had laying on its side on the left side by my left speaker - to act as a fake wall. This worked out well to tighten the bass response for the RF3's, but created havoc with the La Scalas. It seems by removing it, and raising the front of the speaker it allows the bass to disperse into the room, creating a more coherent sound. I also think the table was resonating and adding undesirable sound to the room.

That is why the sound was more acceptable with the Scott over the Marks. The Marks were putting out so much more bass, it amplfied the problem.

The mids are still to overbearing in the inviorement there in. The ALK's will be in today, I'll see if this will resolve that problem. If not, I'm going to insulate the rafters.

I'm really likeing the sound, they are so alive sounding & the tone is to die for. I can see how these speakers can get a bad rap from people that aren't willing to take the the time to get them right. It's getting there inch by inch, this has become a real learning experience on how a room plays a very strong role in sound.

Tom

John

Ringing & howling, that hits it on the nose. There is still some howling to my ears, I will address it in time.

Dee,

The whole overall presententaion is darker, its like everything has been dropped down an octave. Thats not a bad thing just going to take some getting use too.

Tom

----------------

On 7/16/2003 5:02:58 AM DaddyDee wrote:

I'm just as happy to have not experienced the AL's. In terms of Klipsch history, did the AL's come after the AA's?

----------------

Yes the AL was after the AA and like John A points out both the AL and the AK (Khorn) networks are - well - JUNK.

From what I understand, Klipsch had to protect themselves from all the warenty claims from people driving there speakers with 100 watt plus power amps resulting in a higher order network that unfortunately does not perform as well.

In Indy, Trey showed us chamber results of a Khorn using the AA and ALK networks. The AA and ALK were extremely simular in frequency responce. The ALK did have a slight advantage in that its power draw was flatter accross the entire spectrum. Trey pointed out that it is not that significant.

The AK and AL2,3 and 4 followed the AK and AL and are much better as time went on.

JM

That's great Tom, I'm glad this is working out for you -- it's so frustrating when it doesn't. I'm going to venture a guess here that that four eight's just weren't enough for that room. Two horn loaded 15's probably bring things into better balance with the treble. I think this might account for why the 3's sound "brighter" than the Scalas down there.

Something else that is evident is the difference a good crossover can make. I know what a monumental difference it made with my RF-7's -- taking them to a completely superior level of performance.

I didn't have much hope for you and the ALK's primarily because of emails I exchanged with Dbflash (Danny) after he dropped in the Cornwall version to replace his Type B's. Danny said it made little if no difference. In a mail that Danny forwarded to me between Al and himself -- Al pointed out that the Cornwall was not the Scala, where the increase in performance is much more pronounced.

I never really ever doubted Craig or his love affair with his setup. We listen to much of the same music, and tend to be drawn to the same type amps. I had a feeling all along that those Scala's probably romp pretty good with the right setup. The RF-7's are very much the same way -- garbage in, garbage out -- and a little picky with what they like pushing them.

I really enjoy giving Craig grief, and I know he really gets a kick out slamming me around too -- but in the end, I have a feeling we are hearing things in very similiar ways. I think you do too. Our musical tastes preclude the use of some of the more esoteric stuff (more times than not). We need good amount of power and some speakers that move some air -- I'm really happy you found the synergistic match.

This is the kind of report I've been waiting on for some time. More than one opinion is important, and it's hard to find people who like much of the same thing.

Dean,

When I dropped in those Alk,s, turned everything on, and went to dinner with the klan.

Two hours later, put on some of my more familiar music, one after the other I was hearing the big brother of what I'm familiar with, as far as resolution & imaging. The impact of the mid to lower bass regions is a "thump" as apposed to a "smack" sound that the RF's presents. Again not a bad thing in either way, just different. One thing I noticed in some music on the RF's mid bass sounded artificial at times as if it was coming from synthesiser as apposed to a drum. On the Scala's definite sound of stick hitting skin on a drum. I really picked up on this on Dire Straits Brother In Arms, album.

The only issue I have, is at lower volumes there is a slight howling at times in the lower mid registers, I'll listen for a while and address accordenly.

Tom

Boy its nice to see Dean grovel 1.gif What happened to the prediction ???

Tom,

Dire Straits "Brother In Arms" is a great example of what a good set of Mark III's and La Scalas are capable of this is one of my test CD's in fact all Dire straights sound absolutely breath taking. I fired up Pink Floyd "The Wall" last night it was awesome at 105+ Db !!

Craig

Groveling can be good for a man's soul.

30 days aren't up yet. Of course, I'm really glad I didn't throw any money down on that one.

It would be cool to get one of these systems along with mine down to the Lima get together next year -- and promptly drive Ron Welborne out of the state.9.gif

I have eight EL-34's thank you very much -- and I don't castrate them by running in triode.

Did you know four ported 10's in a cabinet the size of an RF-7, pushed towards the corners almost equals the bass output of a Klipschorn?

Keep in mind that compared to the RF-3, the RF-7 is more than a half foot taller, a quarter foot wider, and weighs almost twice as much.

Trust me -- I ain't missing much if anything.

LaCrazy, I like that! I'll kick it around, damn wish I would have thought of it, it would have been more original!

Get it,

La Corte, La Scala, La Crazy

Tom

Knocking these KT88's into triode mode does make for a better presentation. Damn, 12:00 on the dial is, insane loud, what benefit is the extra watts over the triode sound if I never use it.

Tom,

I did some more testing with my Mark's in UT and a customers in Triode ! I could still easily hit transient peak wattages in the 50 watt range in triode. It seems like you lose steady state wattage but the transient peaks are still available in Triode. I have to do some more talking to Mark Deneen about what I'm finding here. He is on Vacation so it will be a week or so before I can pick his endless brain.

Craig

PS who cares who thought of the name if the shoe fits ??