McIntosh sales pitch

If you want some real fun next time you are looking at the most expensive stereo amplifier McIntosh makes (the tube MC2102) ask the sales guy why it also has 100X higher %THD and %IM distortion than even the *cheapest* McIntosh ss amp.

Then the BS comes at you like a tidal wave!

(For the record, the MC2102 has a rating of .5% THD and .5% IM distortion over 20Hz-20kHz. Compare to the MC602 at .005% THD and .005%IM over 10Hz-100kHz. Note also the distortion numbers of the MC602 are valid from 250mW to full rated power.)

Just read this thread. Damn!!

Yeah, there was a lot of BS thrown around.

I kinda like Mac gear, but the comment that they aren't going to make anything costing less that $3K is nothing more than a marketing crock of $#!t..

I guess they are tailoring their product line top the "more discriminating audiophile" (Read- dumb-a$$ doctors, lawyers and sundry nouveau-riche dweebs who don't know squat about audio or sound, but want to impress their colleagues with how steep the price of Mac membership is).

How sad that such a respected line has allowed this type of marketing.

Greetings:

When Gordon Gow passed, there was an interim head of McIntosh until Clarion bought the Company.

Clarion is based in Japan. I am not knocking those of Japanese descent, however the McIntosh we all know, own vintage pieces of, and in this post have shown pictures of is a little diiferent - automotive audio for one.

Before Mr. Gow's passing there were many requests, which were turned down, to build a limited number of, or add the C 22 and the MC 275 tube units back to the product line.

As soon as Clarion purchased the Company, there was a Gordon Gow Commemerative C 22 and the Commemerative MC 275. Now we have an additional tube unit since the Commemeratives have reached the maximum number in the run.

Since I have never owned McIntosh speakers, i cannot comment on them - only the Pre-amplifiers and Amplififiers.

Win dodger

D&M Holdings of Japan is the parent company of Marantz Japan and Denon (D&M itself was formed a year ago when these two companies merged). They recently purchased McIntosh Laboratory from Clarion Corp. of America (price not disclosed). McIntosh will still be a stand-alone company, like it was with Clarion, with its R&D, sales, marketing, and dealer network maintained in NY.

fini, shame on you! How can you say your Mac1900 receiver isn't high-end? It may not be their most expensive receiver ever built, but it's not low-end by any strech of the imagination!

Now go back and appologize to it and hug it, and tell it how much you love having it play back beautiful music for you!13.gif

Only $3.00? Dude, you stole that reciever from it's owner! Bet it was from a lil' ol' widow lady who didn't know (or appreciate) her late husband's stereophonic interests, and just wanted to get rid of his "junk" just lying around the house gathering dust ('cause she'll never use it...doesn't even know how to turn it on)!6.gif

Very nice!2.gif

You know, Jim, you're right. After I read your post, I went to the 1900, gently removed her top, and gave her a loving rub-down. After I write this, I'll be servicing her. Maybe not: I don't want to move too fast...

fini

----------------

On 7/21/2003 11:20:37 PM fini wrote:

..."I went to the 1900, gently removed her top, and gave her a loving rub-down. After I write this, I'll be servicing her. Maybe not: I don't want to move too fast..."

fini

----------------

Oh dammit, fini...I laughed so hard I almost pissed my shorts!9.gif