R/C track

So as many as you now I have lost my job and can't go back. I have been thinking of owning my own place. But what? I have been talking to people in the area and I am now thinking of opening a Radio Control race tracks. I don't know if this is big in your area, but it is in my area. The place that everyone is going to to is about two hours away. I found a nice lot in the area where I could put up a building and also have a outside track. I can set up a racing series and sell stuff.

What do you guys think?

Just a caution. Is that an ongoing hobby or a fad of the moment ?

If this has been a big deal in your area for a couple of years and is growing in popularity and further if you are located in an area where you can reasonably expect major population growth - then I would say go for it but once your biz is rocking - Sell It !

On the other hand remember Goofy Golf and the Hula Hoop - Those fads made some people rich and left a lot of others broke

Well... Owning your own business means that you may be working 7 days a week unless you can close shop on a couple days a week.. Most likely it will not be on weekends though as that is when you would most likely do your best business....

Sounds fun. But you have to make the tracks fun for people, plus offer more than just a place to race... You most likely would want some kind of pro shop, possibly a concesson stand.

Eh... What do I know? But those sounds like things you would want to look at in order to make people want to come.1.gif

Easy

There use to be an outdoor track in Brown Deer in a big parking lot of an out of business strip mall on Green Bay road. Is it still there?

I know Dick at ABC Hobby in Waukesha, every time I talk to him he complanes about since he got into the Hobby Store business 10 years ago he has never had time to fly any RC Planes. (The reason he got into business in the first place) Oh, he use to have an outdoor track when he was behind the gun range years ago, now he has a small indoor track.

You are right, there is a lot of RC here in Wisconsin. I have another friend who is trying to buy 80+ acres in between Milwaukee, Chicago and Madison to set up an asphalt runway to start up an RC Jet field. He did buy a chunk of land in Saukville, but the neighboring properties put a stop to his plans so Now that property is for sale. You may have the same problems if you are planning on loud gas engines.

You got to follow your dreams.. Just make a good business plan and do it right.

Talk to you later,

JM

well i have been thinking about slotcar track for awhile,,,,you need alot of stuff inside to make it work...the rent here is so high i dont think i could make a raceway work....but if you have other stuff it might...the problem is r/c cars dont need a track like slotcars do, so most just use backyard or street.there have been r/c tracks here that come and go,,,,,wont make enough money to support you i dont think.i think slotcars are more fun myself....oh well just my 2 cents worth...rick

I used to race r/c cars back in the 80's,its still around so that means something.For me though it was only a couple year thing but I did spend a lot of cash on it.As with most investments its a gamble,if you are into r/c's you may have a little edge in knowing the market.

I have worked on a lot of r/c cars in the past and could have that for people.(repair and upgrade) I was thinking offroad and onroad outside track and the same for indoor. I have been checking the codes to see how big of ventelation on need for gas powered in doors. I would use the off road track in winter for r/c snowmibiles. I have been talking to traxxas to see how to become a dealer. I am still in the information stage but I am thinking I might make a run on it.