RSW 15 upgrade dilemna...

garyzab

I have had my RSW 15 for nearly one year and I absolutely love it, with one exception. I have this little nag in the back of my head wondering what I am missing in the lower frequencies. Above 30hz, I think it is arguably one of the best subwoofers available and I LOVE it for that. As we all know though, it's output drops off dramatically below that. I am thinking of upgrading, but I don't want to at the sake of quality. I'm looking at either the Velodyne HGS18 or the Martin Logan Descent. These subs would give me the added punch I think I am missing below 30hz while still providing musicality and that is what I think I am missing with the Klipsch. I don't want to go SVS because I think I will be sacrificing music and the cylinder design probably won't get past the wife either. Any opinions eitherway would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get rid of my Rsw 15 only to regret parting with it, because other than my being curious as to what I may be missing below 30hz it is a fantastic subwoofer. I can't imagine that I have been missing a lot, but I don't think I'll be happy until I know for sure. I love this hobby. 1.gif

One quick reply to my own post is that I just learned that Tweeter is dropping Rel in favor of Velodyne and I could get a very nice price on the Storm. If any of you have real world experience with this sub I would appreciate opinions on now it would compare to the Rsw 15 overall, but more importantly below 30hz. Thanks again.

Ahhhh....someone else shares the same twisted upgrade thoughts that I do. I've pondered your exact question with the exact subs for a few months now, but have kept that thought way in the back of my mind for fear of the additional upgrades/switches it might set off. First off, I tried the REL Strata III with my RF-7's and was disappointed. The 7's and that REL sub were not a match. The REL's are more refined, audiophile subs which faithfully reproduce the bottom octave, but don't exaggerate it. It was not a slam subwoofer. The 7's were just way too much main speaker for the Strata. This is simply my experience with them. If I were running a less robust set of mains or a nice set of monitors for a dedicated 2.1 setup I think the REL would do quite well. Case in point, I almost purchased the SF Concerto/REL Strata III combo. The Storm might be a different issue. I know for a fact one of our active members has one and uses it with RF-7's.

The Velodyne or the Descent will definitely give you the additiona sub-30hz you desire and both are highly regarded and priced accordingly. As I already have the full complement of Klipsch channels, I'm more hesitant to replace my 15's as I find their performance great for music, I like having a complete Klipsch system and I don't like the thought of paying another ~1k more for slightly more extension/output. The cost benefit analysis just isn't very strong for me given my current position. Still from what I've found we Klipsch folks seem to be far more loyal to the main channel Klipsch models than to their subs.

I just can't bring myself to part with my 15's.....yet 9.gif . For you, I say go for it and let us know what you think. 9.gif Besides you have 30 days to try it out with Tweeter. Only problem would be if you don't like it, proceed to take it back and find out that Tweeter has already moved your loyal RSW-15 that you traded in. 6.gif No more Klipsch at Tweeter. 15.gif Makes that trade-in awful painful if you find you liked the RSW better or the difference wasn't worth the extra ~1k.

~shoe

I actually work for Tweeter and as a result am privy to some pretty nice discounts. That makes going with Svs very difficult because I can get a lot more for a lot less by going with brands that we carry. I found a Mirage Bps 400 sitting in the back of our stock room that I could probably get for $550 and I think I may go that route. It is a BEAST of a sub for hometheater and is actually very musical also. The money I would save could be used on upgrading cables or my preamp. Because I so much love what the Rsw 15 does I am very skittish about selling it, once its gone its gone. I'll never be able to get it back. Thnaks for the replies so far.

I suggest you get a test disc that plays test tones down to 30 hz so you can realize just how low that is. there is very little music that touches that low, and the output the RSW-15 has is more than enough for most HT applications. when I had my RF speakers set up as a home theatre (2 channel with RSW-15 now) I found it could easily overpower the rest and shake the walls. personally, I think if you are that uneasy about selling it you probably don't think the other sub's either offer enough to justify it, or they flat out aren't as good and you just have the upgrade bug 3.gif . personally I am very happy with mine, that is the only component I haven't thought of replacing in my system, in fact I've been thinking of adding a 2nd.

----------------

On 7/23/2003 8:58:02 AM garyzab wrote:

I actually work for Tweeter and as a result am privy to some pretty nice discounts. That makes going with Svs very difficult because I can get a lot more for a lot less by going with brands that we carry. I found a Mirage Bps 400 sitting in the back of our stock room that I could probably get for $550 and I think I may go that route. It is a BEAST of a sub for hometheater and is actually very musical also. The money I would save could be used on upgrading cables or my preamp. Because I so much love what the Rsw 15 does I am very skittish about selling it, once its gone its gone. I'll never be able to get it back. Thnaks for the replies so far.

----------------

I understand now. In that case, I think I would stick with the RSW-15. The BPS-400 is very good but if I could choose, I'd take a RSW-15.

I thought I read elsewhere Tweeter was dropping Rel in favor of Velodyne. If that's true, maybe you might want to wait and get a Velo HGS-18, then you can satisfy your craving for low and clean bass.

While the RSW-15 may not be linear down to 20hz, it still has tremendous output down low.

For reference, in Nousaine's huge 7500 cu ft room, the RSW-15 hit 97dB@20hz with 10% distortion. The highest recorded SPL for any single sub tested by Nousaine was the Stryke Power 15, that hit an impressive 102dB@20hz. While 5dB is a big difference, the RSW15 doesn't do as bad down low as most think.

"the RSW15 doesn't do as bad down low as most think."

No sir,I do not THINK its not mighty down low,its a potent sub.Only in my armada of subs the Sunfire Signature does better at 25 and 20Hz...and its much smaller!

The Revel B15,Velodyne HGS18 and Aerial SW12 do better down low too.

But these costs more,some way more.For the proce the RSW15 is a very competent sub and a monster slamm master(30-80Hz).Dual RSW15's pack a vicious punch.

I like my RSW10 and 15 very much...RSW12 on the way.

1.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2003 4:05:20 PM garyzab wrote:

I have had my RSW 15 for nearly one year and I absolutely love it, with one exception. I have this little nag in the back of my head wondering what I am missing in the lower frequencies. Above 30hz, I think it is arguably one of the best subwoofers available and I LOVE it for that. As we all know though, it's output drops off dramatically below that. I am thinking of upgrading, but I don't want to at the sake of quality. I'm looking at either the Velodyne HGS18 or the Martin Logan Descent. These subs would give me the added punch I think I am missing below 30hz while still providing musicality and that is what I think I am missing with the Klipsch. I don't want to go SVS because I think I will be sacrificing music and the cylinder design probably won't get past the wife either. Any opinions eitherway would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get rid of my Rsw 15 only to regret parting with it, because other than my being curious as to what I may be missing below 30hz it is a fantastic subwoofer. I can't imagine that I have been missing a lot, but I don't think I'll be happy until I know for sure. I love this hobby.
1.gif

----------------

dude you'd be "downgrading" (imho) that sub can go all the way down to 19hz how could you ask for more then that??? its a $1800 sub for crap sakes... (geez unappreciative people)....

The sub isn't going anywhere. I spent a lot of time yesterday listening to music thru it and I will not be upgrading anytime soon. My spl meter is going home with me today and I'll be measuring the Rsw 15's sub 30hz performance using Avia. I FULLY appreciate my Rsw 15, I am just curious about what I might be missing below 30 hz is all, and I really don't think that I am missing that much. We all catch the upgrade bug regardless of what we own at sometime or another. Fortunately, I was able to cure mine before I did anything I'd regret. Thanks for all the great advice.

i'll tell ya-

i sometimes turn the sub output down because the rsw-15 is so good and effortless that i get embarrassed thinking what it must sound like outside!

music(yes@the house of blues) and movies that are known for deep bass play VERY well on my setup. the bass from main rolloff is 40Hz, and 60-70Hz for center and surrounds.

avman.

----------------

On 7/24/2003 9:02:05 AM garyzab wrote:

The sub isn't going anywhere. I spent a lot of time yesterday listening to music thru it and I will not be upgrading anytime soon. My spl meter is going home with me today and I'll be measuring the Rsw 15's sub 30hz performance using Avia. I FULLY appreciate my Rsw 15, I am just curious about what I might be missing below 30 hz is all, and I really don't think that I am missing that much. We all catch the upgrade bug regardless of what we own at sometime or another. Fortunately, I was able to cure mine before I did anything I'd regret. Thanks for all the great advice.

----------------

whats a "Avia"???