Scott 299A rev 1 For Sale

mace

Hi,

I have a Scott 299A rev 1 which I'm looking to sell. It has been rebuilt by Craig (NOSValves) 2x. Once a year ago, and recently in May or so of this year. It would come with one pair of Telefunken pre-amp tubes (12AX7), one pair of cheap-o Chinese pre-amp tubes, Amperex splitters 6BL8's and power amp tubes 7189's. Craig put in new stand up cans and rewired one below chassis. There is a headphone jack in the front but the jack has been totally disconnected, as has the phase switch.

Worth knowing: It has a very slight hum/buzz, most likely due to the transformer inducing some noise into the system (my theory, agreed with by Craig). The hum does not register on my RatShack SPL meter when I hold it inside my Cornwall squaker, it is very subtle. Oftentimes, hiss from rock and roll or older classical CD's masks the hum. My wife doesn't notice the hum. But, I do at times, such as during very, very quiet classical recordings (solo guitar, solo piano and such, only when the instrument stops or plays very, very softly). Last I heard, Craig had a spare transformer which he would install (for a modest fee). The amp also has some cosmetic damage on its underside which is hidden. There is a small dent in the top right of the faceplate, which really isn't noticable unless you are up close (the smooth texture of the face plate isn't broken). All writing on the faceplate is legible and in good condition. It does not come with a wooden cover box.

Anyway, everything on the amp works great, no pops or hisses when moving knobs or switches. It also has the bias mod (under chassis contact points). I've never used the phono section but Craig said all is well.

I bought it for $350 here on this board and would let it go for that, or best offer (if higher than $350). I have put a little more into it but... live and learn. I wanted to give folks on this board a chance before it goes up on eBay or somewhere like that.

Pictures to be posted soon.

Please email mace at mac dot com if interested. NOTE: I am travelling this week but still get check email once in a while. The earliest I could ship the amp is Tuesday, July 30th. If you want, pick-up would be welcome (you could check it out before buying). I'm in Lafayette, IN.

Thanks in advance,

Mace

Sorry to see you sell the Scott Mace. Although I'm not a die-hard 2-channel type guy, I do enjoy my Scott(s).

Question: Were you unhappy with the sound of the Scott (everyone likes something different) and will perhaps persue something different, or did the hum simply get to you?

Inquiring minds, you know. 2.gif

Keith

222-C x 2

Mace,

You're the second person I've heard that has been having trouble getting rid of some slight hum/hiss/noise in their 299. Mine is pretty nearly dead quiet. Craig even mentioned as much before he shipped it back to me after the rebuild. It is just as quiet as my Cary and Marantz (SR8000 HT amp). Overall I'd rate the Cary a 9, the Scott an 8, and the Marantz a 7 for two channel sound. I'm guessing to get anything better than a 9, one would have to spend mega-bucks and have a well configured room complete with acoustic treatments.

Chris

Mace has some super sensitive ears ! This noise is indeed coming from his power transformer and bleeding into the circuit it never stops and never changes. You can put your ear up to the power transformer and hear the exact same type noise that is coming out of the speaker. It is indeed very small with 95% of the people it would never bother them. As far as the question did he like the sound. Well I think he did since he bought another one and sent it to me for a rebuild and it is completely dead silent 1.gif

Craig

Pictures can be found at: This Site.

I do love the Scott sound. I got another 299A rev2, put even more money into it (it's in a little better shape) and decided to keep it and sell this one. Funny thing was, the 2nd one I got also had a hum from a faulty can. Craig got it going and it is absolutely awesome. The hum/buzz (I can never remember what Craig calls it, but apparantly there is a difference between a hum and a buzz) in the amp for sale is really slight, folks. I would call it "near dead quiet". The hum doesn't increase with volume, it remains constant, so at regular listening levels, the hiss of the source CD is more than the buzz. For the record, when I sit down and really listen to music, I have to turn off our laptop accross the room because I can hear the whine of the hard drive (I also couldn't get any signal on my SLP meter from the hard drive, even when I held the meter right up to the computer).

At any rate, I have had any takers on this one yet. Maybe the pictures will help show it isn't as bad I've made it out to be. If you are looking to get into tubes and don't want to futz around too much, this amp is in fine working shape and has been given many hours of work by Craig (NOSValves). It has fine Telefunken pre-amp tubes for the line in stage (I may even be persuaded to throw in two more pre-amp Telefunkens if you have need for the phono stage as well).

Mace

Keith,

I haven't tried any other pre-amp tubes. I got some cheap pre-amp tubes so I could "save" the Telefunken phono section 12AX7's (I don't have a turntable). My 2nd 299 came with only 2 Telefunkens and 2 other 12AX7 (can't remember brand right now). I haven't had time to roll tubes yet. I've just used the Tele's so far, since that seems to be the cat's meow (according to conventional wisdom on this board). I'd be willing to make all 4 12AX7's Telefunkens in the amp I'm selling if that would sweeten the deal. So far, I've had takers from this board... it'll go up on eBay soon if I don't get any takers here.

Again, the thing is 9/10 working order (only issue is very slight buzz. Cosmetically, it could use some work on the insides. From the front it looks very good.

Mace