Can I bypass front speakers using a resistor?

Sayles

I have an older Teac receiver that has front and rear channels but it only decodes and splits the sound when all 4 speakers are connected. From the cd player I am running a Scott 299 to Forte II's for the main (front) channel. I also have it wired to play through the Teac 2 main channels and rear surround channels. In order to get the volume up on the rear channels to hear the surround, the front channels of the Teac are trying to compete with the Klipsche's. Is there someway to bypass the front speakers by splicing in an 8 ohm resistor or something so I can just have the 2 Forte's running the front and just the 2 rear speakers from the Teac?? Wow, thats a lot to digest huh!!9.gif

A resistor would get hotter than hellfire used in that way, it would probably work though. Doesn't the Teac have a speakers A/B switch on it? So that you could leave the A's connected but just switch them out. A speaker switch box may work for you.

----------------

On 7/23/2003 8:47:33 AM Frzninvt wrote:

A resistor would get hotter than hellfire used in that way, it would probably work though. Doesn't the Teac have a speakers A/B switch on it? So that you could leave the A's connected but just switch them out. A speaker switch box may work for you.

----------------

There is an A and B switch on the receiver but if you just push B then the main signal goes only to the rear speaks. Thats why you have to have a signal out to all 4 speakers in order to get the surround mode. Otherwise it just acts like a speaker selection box.

3.gif3.gif

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I play one on TeeVee...

I'd suggest using a resistor with a higher resistance than 8 Ohms, say at least 16 ohms or even higher. That way you won't be dumping as much current out of the Teac, so you'll have (probably) more power and more headroom available for the rear speakers, plus the resistor won't get so hot. The Teac should not have any qualms about driving a 16 ohm load - it'll be easier than an 8 ohm load. I don't know what would happen if you went to, say, a 40 ohm resistor... guys?

Be sure the resistor is rated for whatever the continuous rated output of the Teac is.

I had some 10k 5 watt wirewounds on my old JVC speakers. Almost no current through the resistors, and I figured it was still a load to the amp. In a former life I plugged the speaker out from a 16mm projector into the line level of the mixer I used when our church group showed movies. I figured it would work the same. the high impedance input on the mixer worked okay being driven by the low output of the proj amp (maybe 5 watts). It always worked okay, but I'm sure the eq was a little goofy from it.

Marvel

Okay, it took me a little while to see what you're saying.

You feed the Scott and Forte normally. No problem.

You want to run the Teac in four channel. For some reason, it only works when there is an electrical connection to the "front" or A speakers. I don't quite understand why the Teac acts as you describe, but I've no reason to doubt you.

It is not clear whether you have a third set pair of speakers for the front A of the Teac, but I assume not. Otherwise you might just place them front down on the carpet to muffle them.

So, what you're really talking about is using an 8, 10, or 16 ohm resistor as a "dummy load" for the front A of the Teac. That should work. RS should have a 5 watt wire wound resistor which will do the job. All you have to do is wire the resistor across the A outputs of the Teac as if it was a speaker.

I'm not sure about the power issue. This depends on how loud you're playing things. Ray has a good comment.

Gil

I'm no expert when it comes to home audio amplifiers. . .

But back 8 years ago, when I was into car audio (Had some Soundstream Rubicon & Reference Series Amps), you just had to do some load matching with the output (speakers). If the output impedance was too low the amp would suck in too much energy and overheat. . . when it was too high the speakers just didn't get loud enough. So I'm assuming you just gotta match those resistors with what the Teac was designed for. . .

For instance, my Sony reciever, when running both A+B Speakers are designed for a total load of 4 ohms each (Left and Right). I have four 8 ohm speakers (4 ohms to the Left and 4 to the Right) for maximum power transfer.

So strapping a 16 ohm "dummy-load" with your 8 ohm speakers will cause an output impedance of 5.333 ohms. Causing 66% of the power going to your speakers but, with total output power being reduced.

Strapping a 40 ohm will cause an output impedance of 6.666 ohms ---> 83.3% power going to the speakers but with even less total output power.

So matching with a set of 8 ohm resistors will cause 4 ohms and 50% of the power going to the speakers with the max designed power output.

I guess you can't loose with an 8 or 16 ohm resistor. . . If it gets to hot just put some higher valued resistors in parallel to get 8 or 16 ohms.

I'm not really familiar with the "wire-wound" resistors (maybe I'm too young). . .

Just give it a try and let us know.

----------------

On 7/23/2003 8:42:33 AM Sayles wrote:

I have an older Teac receiver that has front and rear channels but it only decodes and splits the sound when all 4 speakers are connected. From the cd player I am running a Scott 299 to Forte II's for the main (front) channel. I also have it wired to play through the Teac 2 main channels and rear surround channels. In order to get the volume up on the rear channels to hear the surround, the front channels of the Teac are trying to compete with the Klipsche's. Is there someway to bypass the front speakers by splicing in an 8 ohm resistor or something so I can just have the 2 Forte's running the front and just the 2 rear speakers from the Teac?? Wow, thats a lot to digest huh!!
9.gif

----------------

9.gif Thank all of you for your input!! It may be awhile before I get to experiment with it. I work for a computer company that makes the suspension that holds the read/write head for your hard drive and right now business is so good we're being asked to work 60 hours/week. I am a tool and die maker. This may have nothing to do with the forum question but it does everyone good to know that many U.S. companies are rebounding. Will get back with results later! Take care, Sayles