new klipsch owner

kuisis

I just purchased my first klipsch product. A pair of la scala speakers. I bought them without an owners manual or any other literature. They are commercial looking, black fiberglass and stainless steel, and they also are two piece units. Any suggestions of an amp for them. I have a sherwood now(RV-1340R). I am new to the higher end audio world and any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Those are the two piece industrial La Scalas, Gil just posted the complete spec sheet for them in one of the other sections on this forum. It might have been in the 2 channel section or technical questions I don't recall. They are designed for professional applicationss and the bass could be thin since they utilize the industrial K-43E woofer, however the spec sheet states the freq resp at 42Hz - 17Khz (indoors). They should sound decent no matter what amp you use but since you posted in the 2 channel forum where most of the tubies hang out, a tube amp was an obvious response. Congrats on the speakers and welcome to the forum.

kuisis,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your La Scalas.

I got La Scalas for the first time around the first of the year. Go ahead and play them with your Sherwood and enjoy. If you find, like I did, that my ears were tired before long, then you likely enjoy tubes. I found out that with a tube amplifier and a clean CD source, the sound was much improved with much much much less harshness. That's one thing about La Scalas, they will reveal everything that is in the source... such that flaws you wouldn't hear with other speakers, you will hear with La Scalas. You'll hear more music and more of everything.

One suggestion, if you decide to check out tubes: go used. You can recover most or all of your money on Ebay or other online vehicle if you decide to sell.

Another suggestion: do a search and read the posts on this forum. There is a huge base of knowledge here, and one can learn alot just by reading through some of the threads.

I have received, with appreciation, alot of advice on what to look for and what to watch out for in particular equipment. I started out with a vintage Scott 299B, one of several good candidates in the way of a tube integrated amplifier. My unit was rebuilt by someone on the forum. These classics sound good and are great in the bang for buck value. In terms of bang for the buck and "safe" way to check out tubes, I don't know of a way to go that's better.

Best regards.

Dee

I'll just add a brief note along with Dee's post that H.H. Scott, Dynaco, EICO, Fisher, or Marantz integrated tube amps are all excellent choices to break into tube technology. If tubes don't really interest you (and they should), another alternative to tubes are many used solid-state amps and receivers from McIntosh and harman/kardon (just to name a few). Many owners of the McIntosh MC250, MC2100, MC2105, MC2120, etc., and the harman/kardon 430, 730, and 930 (and the mighty little Monarchy Audio SM-70) swear by their closeness in warmth to their vacuum tube conterparts!

Just a thought...Enjoy the Forums and to Klipsch ownership!

Let us know how much you want to spend, what kind of music you listen to, HT, 2-channel or both, size of room etc.

We'll have you spending your life's savings in a flash! Seriously, you will get top notch advice from this forum. When it comes to mating components with klipsch speakers, there is no better place to ask and a lot of great people.

Welcome to the forum.

If your speakers came from the factory with the metal trim as you describe, the metal is aluminum. They used very nice cast corners and then aluminum angle stock on all the edges. Many of the industrial speakers had the Klipsch logo painted on the speakers in large white letters. Very sharp looking. I wouldn't worry about the K-43 woofer. I suppose it might not go quite as low as the K-33, but I'd wager it's a minor difference. You have good value in the industrial versions of the La Scala with fiberglass and aluminum trim, so if you decide to sell them, you can probably get enough to afford buying something more suitable for home decor like nice hardwood versions of the La Scalas, or come close to being able to buy a pair of Belle's, and 3/4 of the way to a pair of Khorns.

Greg

This forum is great. I already learned way more than I ever expected to. I have a fairly large game room(30x20)

I listen to a variety of music, almost any type, but I'm partial to folk,bluegrass music. Especially the newgrass artists like tony rice, peter rowan, and david grisman. I have a bunch of classical music that I listen to also along with a fair number of jazz cd's(chet baker and charlie parker in particular). I still need to know where I can get an owners manual I see you can download them, but I didn't notice the model number on the list.

You guys really have my upped my interest in tubes. Any recommendations on places to buy, I know ebay, but I've had mixed experiences with them. Any other places to buy or even people on the forum?

I would assume just contacting Klipsch directly would solve your dilemma.

I've never seen pictures of commercial La Scalas with black fiberglass and stainless steel...if you can, please post some pics.