6sn7 feedback

AnalOg

Looking to do some tube rolling on my Roque, which turned out to be an excellent linestage. It turns out that it has a gain controln also, which really helps in getting the synergy right with the rest of the system. I'd like some input on tube brands to look for, based on you alls experience. Hopefully this will cut some of my losses on the not so desirables out there.

Thankx,

Tom

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

99INSIDE.JPG

Man, look at all the crap between you and the music!!

Just kidding Tom -- it's gorgeous. Looks like something Sonic Frontiers would have dreamed up if they could have ever pulled themselves away from the 6922 -- a tube I still happen to like quite a bit. The Rogue was on my short list -- I just don't need that much preamp. Did you check out the AI?

That's a potentially expensive retube.

I like the Sylvania Chris recommended, but there are actually better 6SN7's that cost less -- Mobile Homeless non-withstanding.

The 6SN7GT RCA blackplate Greyglass is a better tube. Made in 1948 -- and considered by some to be better than the Redbase. Mid 1940's 6SN7GTB Sylvania Tall Boys are very sweet too.

All I can say, after I replaced the caps on the Marks with Hovlands, I am smiling from ear to ear!9.gif

That last bit of "howling" I was getting, along with the darkness is all gone.1.gif The caps were a major improvement, I gots my transparency back big time.

I have a quad of RCA grey glass, that sound the best of what I have, but just way microphonic, if that makes sense.

Craig,

It would be great to get someone with the same love for music & gear to have a listen to my system and tell me were I'm at. Come on over, it would be a blast!!9.gif

The pre adds some wonderful complexity to the sound in a good way. It has more demension and layers to the music. I can tell you I know now that the Foreplay is no slouch.

kepp the suggestions coming nad thankx for the compliments!

Tom

Tom,

Yea we may have to make a weekend out of it. I'll bring my amps, Scope and function generator and a pile of parts so we can fine tune your amps while were at it ! Maybe we could make it a weekend thing when there's a Bottlehead meeting in Chicago spend saturday at your place and sunday at the meeting !

Craig

I really wanted to try these when I had the AE-3 DJH, but they just never showed up anywhere -- until now.

"The early Sylvania 6SN7W types from the 1940s had a metal collar around the base, then later a black base. These look internally alot like the early Sylvania GTA types... Sylvania made these for other brands as well, including RCA. Easy to spot as they have the triangular blackplates facing each other in a short bottle, with a very heavy chrome top flashing extending down the sides of the tube. These are RARE..."

"New Old Stock white box. Very fine sounding, very rare blackplates from the 1940s. These beauties were made for radar equipment, and are still in the US Navy boxes. Matched to within ONE percent Gm on a Hickok TV-10. This is the rare early 1940s version of the military 6SN7 that predates the brownbase series."

----------------

On 8/4/2003 10:10:33 PM DeanG wrote:

"<a
http://www.rogueaudio.com/images/enlarged/99INSIDE.JPG" width=799 border=0>

I like the Sylvania Chris recommended, but there are actually better 6SN7's that cost less -- Mobile Homeless non-withstanding.

----------------

I paid $11 for six of the yellow Sylvania's ... all tested very strong. They sound very detailed and rich at the same time.

I'll get around to trying some of your recommendations. Right now I'm just "enjoying the music".